Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

HELP! An Unnatural Sound

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by ChappyBoffins, Jan 16, 2015.

1. ChappyBoffins

ChappyBoffins Just got it firing!

Hello All,
    I was wondering if you guys might have some insight into an issue I’m having with my 2012 Griso 8V SE. Every time i start the bike cold it makes this rattling/scraping sound. It only happens at startup. Besides this sound the bike runs perfectly.

I’ve had it since march of last year and I’m the second owner. When i bought it there was 11,500 miles on it now it has 15,500. It does sleep outside but never uncovered. Something to keep in mind if and when the helpful suggestions start flying, I have a rudimentary understanding of how the bike works but I am by no means a capable machanic. I am planning on taking it into my local dealer but I wanted to check in with you guys and see if anyone has had a similar problem.

Here’s a recording of the sound…
    http://vid44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/merkaba998/Griso Sound_002_zps4ufv7aou.mp4

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. jknight611

jknight611 Tuned and Synch'ed

My Stelvio does that too, mostly on the right side. Been told that it is the hydraulic chain tensioner draining back. Goes away in 3-4 seconds and isn't a concern to me. Bike is GuzziTeched and just ROCKS!

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Agree with jknight611. If the bike sits, the hydraulic chain tensioner can drain down. On startup the tensioner has to re-pressurize and once it does, the sound goes away. This occurs on the left side of 1100 and 1150 oil head BMWs. The fix was to install left side tension plungers from a 1200. These have check valves that prevented pressure loss. I don't know if Guzzi has a fix for this yet, or even if they are working on one.

4. ChappyBoffins

ChappyBoffins Just got it firing!

Whew, well that's a relief. Much appreciate the info. Thanks guys!

5. marcsiry

marcsiry Tuned and Synch'ed

Mine makes that sound as well. Glad to hear that it's nominally normal.

6. kampe

kampe Cruisin' Guzzisti

Mine makes the same sound as well. Never occured to me as unnatural. I alwas thought it was part of the storting proces as it goes away as soon as the engine comes to life..