Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Help deciding between two 2014 v7 stones

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by tatxo, Jul 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tatxo

tatxo Just got it firing!

Hi guys,

New here hoping to become a regular, I am about to buy a v7 stone, however I have seen two in black and I am not able to make a decision.
    - First one is completely stock 4.000km, one owner.
    - Second one has clip-on handlebars plus upgraded exhausts (louder and deeper sound). 3000km two owners.

I have been out of motorcycling for 20 years, so it is going to be my first moto in a while. I wonder if it is safer the stock handlebar to use for short and medium trips (up to 5 hours). The clip-on gives you a more sporty position, however my bikes back in time were all with neutral position. What is your opinion on the handlebars? Are the after market exhausts an option to consider or the stock are good enough?

Third option would be to spend 40% more and get a V7iii new, however I would prefer to spend less and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help, it is really appreciated!

Regards,
    Miguel.

2. JACoH

JACoH Cruisin' Guzzisti

You didn't mention what years these are. And your age, and ability to ride with clip-ons. Of course, you could always change handlebars. And the noise of exhaust is up to you also. Odd that the one has had 2 owners in 3000 km. Of course, I would spend more and get the new one, with a warranty, (although I haven't needed the warranty in 12,000 miles on my V7III, yet.)

3. tatxo

Thanks for the reply. They are both 2014. I have been test riding a 2012 v7 with clips-on and it is fine for a while, however I am not sure for medium distances. I am 47 in a decent shape. My fear with the new one is that the insurance is going to sky rocket because for the companies I am a new rider here in Canada.

4. PA Sand

PA Sand Tuned and Synch'ed

I'd go stock and one owner, then you can customize yourself when/if you'd like. FWIW.

Then, since you mention V7 III, the big thing to me over V7 2014 was ABS/TC and that came with the V7 II. So if such should appear to your liking I'd think about that.

Sidenote: I have a 2016 with 4000km, it still look like new if that is helpful. Kept indoor.

5. tatxo

How much would be a reasonable price for a 2014, 4.000km v7 stone? (I live in Canada, seems the demand here is low on these bikes)

6. Richard Ducati

Richard Ducati Tuned and Synch'ed

FWIW, I gave $4,200 last March for my 2014 Special w/ 1,150 miles on the clock. Stock, sans dart screen, hagon shocks, sprint filter, and MOSFET regulator. Not sure how that compares to market, but it was that or about $3K for a 40 year old airhead beemer...

7. tatxo

I suppose that is USD so I believe that is like CAD$5,500. Sounds like a good deal, I suppose I should try to get that price instead of the CAD$6,000

8. Richard Ducati

Richard Ducati Tuned and Synch'ed

Yes, that was USD. I generally assume at least 10% wiggle room on any used machine listed for sale at market value and, as a cheapskate, offer about 20% less with hopes that the seller is hungry enough to take my offer. Good luck with your purchase.

9. Michael Boeglin

Michael Boeglin Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I started riding again a few years ago after a 15 year gap. I started with a Ducati ST sport tourer with a moderately low riding position, probably a little taller than V7 with clipons. It was a mistake. Lots of pain on anything but short rides. I ended up selling and getting a V7 with OEM bars. Then I started riding 300-400 mile days no problem. I’ve been doing strength training in my core muscles, arms and upper body so that I can eventually go back to a lower position, but it will be at least a year. You have enough to worry about as a reborn rider, mostly staying safe. Don’t let pain be a factor.

10. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

for 2014 stock V7 first gen, 5500 CDN is about right.

People are trying to get around 6500~6000 range for the non-abs one. For V7ii with ABS, a lot of people are asking 7000 +/- CDN around my area. But remember, that is asking price. You can always negotiate.

Now, UNLESS your body can handle clip on without the racer style rear set (which you didn't mention), I wouldn't try to ride long with that set up...too much "bend" it puts my body.

as much as I would love the upgraded pipe, my vote is stock version with stock pipe.

@4000 KM, the bike is barely broken in.