Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Help - Heated Grips Install on Audace

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Johnap, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Johnap

Johnap Tuned and Synch'ed

Anyone put on the OE heated grips kit. Got the left grip on and discovered the spacers and longer bolts for the bar end weights do not fit the handle bar. Called AF1 and they looked it up and said the set is no longer listed as compatable. They advised me not to finish the install. They offered a return, wich was great of them. They seemed unsure if the throttle would work out.

I could take a grinder to the spacers or perhaps use a stack of washers. If I modify I can't return.

Does anyone know for sure if they will wire up and work safely.

2. MikeT68

MikeT68 Just got it firing!

I just got some in the mail today from AF1. I emailed them before purchasing and they assured me that they would work. I have a 2016 Audace. They told me that they would work on the 2016's and earlier but not on 2017 and later. Going to attempt install tomorrow morning. I will let you know how it goes.

3. Johnap

Johnap Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi
    Yes please update. If you can get them working I will retry my install.

4. MikeT68

Hi,

I just finished installing the heated grips. It went pretty smoothly.

The only real hang up was the spacers for the weights. As you noted the spacers that came with the kit do not fit. I could not even tell how they were intended to fit. they have a raised rim around the screw hole on one side which does not fit into the bar end or the weight. in the end I pitched the spacers.

Also the replacement screws that came with the kit were too short. In fact they were shorter than the screws that were installed from the factory. I pitched these screws also and reused the original screws. They were plenty long without the spacers.

On the left side I tightened the weight down against the grip. That worked fine.

On the right side this did not work because it restricted the movement of the throttle. To remedy this I stacked two stainless steel washers to function as a smaller spacer. Worked perfectly.

Other than the above the install went absolutely smoothly and the grips work great. I am looking forward to my drive to work tonight so that I can really see how they do.

The one small issue that I have not figured out is that there are three levels of heat. I could not tell if level 1 or level 3 was the high heat setting. In the end I just put it on level 2 so that I would be certain to expect it would heat up. I suppose that I will figure that out as I ride.

Hope this helps, good luck with your install.

Mike

5. MikeT68

Just a follow up, level 3 is the highest and level 1 is the lowest.