• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

HELP! USB Connection V7 iii

Ben Turner

Just got it firing!
I have a 2020 V7 iii Stone

I cannot figure out where the USB is, i think i might have found it but the connection pin isnt the same as the connection pin on the USB and i would like some help.

I have a connector on the bike which has a blue and a white lead entering into it,that connection doesnt match the male end or female end of the USB or USB extension.

I am baffled.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 100
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 86
  • usb1.jpg
    usb1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 85
The USB power feed to MG's USB adapter is 2-pin with Orange (15amp Fuse B via Ignition Switch) and Blue (Ground) wires. It comes with the protective cover shown in 2.jpg. Remove the cover to make the connection.

The 3-pin connector with White (K-line) and Blue (Ground) wires is your Diagnostic port.

The USB power feed to MG's USB adapter is 2-pin with Orange (15amp Fuse B via Ignition Switch) and Blue (Ground) wires. It comes with the protective cover shown in 2.jpg. Remove the cover to make the connection.

The 3-pin connector with White (K-line) and Blue (Ground) wires is your Diagnostic port.
Thanks, So where is the USB Connection point on the bike because i obviously havent found it yet? the only two ports i can find under the saddle is the one you reference as the diamostic port and one that is a lead which says "oxford battery connection lead" i guess for the trickle charge. So where does the USB connection point live?

The V7III does not come with a standard USB connection point.

Moto Guzzi makes an accessory kit (2S000983) — garagemotoguzzi.com/en/accessorio/v7iii-stone-v7iii-special-kit-installazione-presa-usb/ — to enable a standard USB A-type connection for charging purposes only, not data connection to the bike's computer. As Bert says above, this connects to the power supply port shown in your photo 2.jpg.

There is also the Moto Guzzi Media Platform kit (2S000912) which adds a USB-A type port and allows you to interface a smartphone running a dedicated app to the V7III for travel analysis.

There are also aftermarket USB power connections that you can wire into the bike instead, again for power to external devices only. A quick search with Google should find a few of them.

G

wendelmotorraeder.de/moto-guzzi-usb-cable_2s000315-p-6207026.html?language=en

So guys.... i am a complete novice at biking and electonics! so pleas bear with me. I have everything shown in my pictures, or shown in the link above. SO if that is the power supply port.... where do i plug that in on the bike??? i have a usb lead another lead but i haven't a clue where on the bike it plugs in. All i know is i bought it because it said " installation under the saddle" and i was expecting to find a wire under the saddle fairly easy in which to plug my 1D002258 cable in to.

Guys, please watch the hyperlinks per the paragraph at the top in red. Hyperlinking is free advertising for them on this site.
Ben, fit a battery charger lead (search battery tender charging lead) to your battery, and then Google; Motorcycle USB Charger Adapter - you'll see many options. Easy and more cost effective.

Alternatively you could remove the 2-pin protective cover shown in 2.jpg (the dingus with two Red spots) and connect the 2-pin connector in usb1.jpg. When Ignition is ON you should have power to your USB adapter.

According to the link, the USB kit you have is for California 1400. The kit for V7 III is part number 2S000983.
But, you should be fine, since the 2S000983 is included in the kit that you have and you don't need to use the extra cable in 2.jpg picture.

Again, I have not done this, but according to the V7 III Service Station Manual, the connector for the USB kit is under the tank. However, mine is next to the battery's positive post side, behind a grey connector.
oCETb7Z.jpg

Last edited:
DO NOT REMOVE THE TANK!

The 2-pin USB Power connector with Orange and Blue wires is underneath the saddle near the 3-pin Diagnostic connector. It has a protective cover with two Red dots.

Remove the protective cover and connect it to the 2-pin USB pigtail with Red and Black wires for your USB adapter shown in your usb1.jpg.

Included in your installation kit is a cable labelled 2D000218 shown in your 2.jpg. Set it aside and do not use it at this time. When your USB adapter is connected and working properly we will come back to it.

Last edited:
I took a few quick pics of my V7III and how I have it wired to a USB port. as you can see in ex2, it has blue/orange wires, as Bert said. ex1 is pulled back a bit so you can get a sense of where to look for the lead.

the thread below is what helped me get the right materials and how to wire it up. It took me maybe 15 minutes. Feel free to hit me up if you have more questions. I think the total cost was around $15-$20. The other alternative, is as Todd said, hook up a battery tender cable and get an adapter for that.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/how-to-connect-a-phone-charger.19796/#post-155723

Ex2 Ex1

Bert and Sickora are correct, no need to remove the tank.
I got curious and looked for this connector. On mine, 2019 V7 III Stone night pack, I was not able to find the this USB connector under the seat. After opening the bike's right side cover, I found the connector next to the battery's positive (red) side behind the grey connector.

Bert and Sickora are correct, no need to remove the tank.
I got curious and looked for this connector. On mine, 2019 V7 III Stone night pack, I was not able to find the this USB connector under the seat. After opening the bike's right side cover, I found the connector next to the battery's positive (red) side behind the grey connector.
I've same bike as Subin. As he described it, I think that is where I found mine originally also. Take off the right side cover so you can see the battery, and you should find it.

As I recall, I did not need to remove the right-side cover on my 2019 V7 III Stone to install MG's 2S000983 USB kit. It didn't seem useful under the seat so I removed it and am using the 2-pin connector to temporarily power my Rigid fog lights (they are for conspicuity only so I have Amber film on the lenses). Before the lights, every day I rode there was an incident where I had to dodge a car! That hasn't occurred since I installed the lights. Permanent power will be from an FZ-1 under the left-side cover.

The gray connector should be 8-pin with five pins populated. It is the BlueDash connector and the cable should be marked MGMP (MG Multimedia Platform). The five pins are Ground, Fuse B power, Diagnostic K-line, and CANbus High and Low.

In another forum, I argued that I could drive a Speedhut CANbus tachometer from the BlueDash connector. People disagreed with me so I offered to buy a Speedhut tachometer configured to their specification, create a plug-in cable for the BlueDash connector, and have it work for a V7 III model that doesn't have a tachometer. If it works, they would buy the tachometer from me at cost plus shipping, insurance, etc. If it doesn't work, I eat crow as well as the cost of the tachometer. So far nobody has accepted my offer. I will only do this once -- I'm only doing it for fun and to prove I'm right about CANbus.

You can get a dual-gauge mount at https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/all-products/products/gt-motocycles-v7-iii-speedo-drop-bracket

Hi Everyone,

This was very helpful indeed! I took the side panel off like you suggested and i had a look around it wasnt immediately obvious and to be honest i don't think i would have had the confidence to start pulling on wires but i spotted the blue and orange you guys suggested and pulled that out of the bike and low and behold it was the connector! i plugged the USB in, turned the bike on and boom... the phone started charging!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all of your help. As you can see from the battery area mine looked different and the cable was nowhere to be seen!

Many thanks.

Battery Area Connected Side Panel off

Back