• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Help with 1953 250

Gazkid

Just got it firing!
The bike was passed on to me with no papers or info. This is my first Moto Guzzi and I'm virtually clueless. I found a parts manual online (in Italian of course). What are the do's and don'ts for this bike? I've managed to get it running, using 20w50 Castrol bike oil. It starts 2nd or 3rd kick. Noticed that the key only works the lights etc, not on/off. Other than choking carb, how are these bikes typically turned off? Any suggestions on adjusting the carb? It doesn't hold an idle? Or is that how you shut it off? Finally I don't know how to tell if mine is a sport or tourismo, Airone or Falcon - any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,117
Gazkid, welcome and thanks for posting. BEAUTIFUL Airone. I see you've found the Guzzi singles e-list as well, you will get most of your info there I'm sure, but do stop back in often to post, and more pics please!

My Airone has the same key function. It only switches the lights on & off. Key in, straight ahead = brake light + horn. Turn it to left to get side light, to right to get headlight. This means the engine can be started without the key at all (but no lights, horn etc). I'm not sure if its possible to wire a hidden ignition switch into the magneto output. To switch off the engine mine has a simple button that short circuits the magneto feed to earth. I'm not sure if thats standard or something a previous owner has added.

There are several wiring diagrams here: https://www.guzzitech.com/guzzi007/sportissimo.html
Scroll down the list and you will see several for Guzzi Falcones, Airones, Alces & Astores. I couldn't find one for my year Airone that matched it's hardware (switches, circuit board etc) so I used one for a Falcone that did have the same hardware and it all worked fine! If it has stuff for police sirens etc just ignore those bits.

I got thoroughly confused by the charge warning light in the headlight shell. Even with the engine off it lit up with the headlight or side light on. I then realized that was because the side light is mounted on the bulb holder outside the reflector so it was shining through the warning light lens! The headligfht can play the same trick so you can really only rely on the charge warning light showing the battery is charging if the key is in the straight ahead position.

Traditionally Sports had upholstered pads on the rear mudguard for the 'chin on the tank' racing pose (or a passenger) and a toe brake pedal. Tourismo's had a luggage rack instead (but still with passenger footrests asItalians made their wives sit on the rack!) and a heel operated brake pedal.

The Guzzi club in UK can provide Falcone manuals & parts books with transaltions to read alongaside and a translation of Mario Columbo's book on Falcones. There's enough common ground between Falcones & Airones to make them worthwhile. Get in touch with Mike Lacey the club's machine dating expert:
machinedating@motoguzziclub.co.uk or see the club website: http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/default.asp

Mi_ka said:
Will said:
To switch off the engine mine has a simple button that short circuits the magneto feed to earth.

And possibly go ouch! when it is covered with moisture? :roll:

Ha-ha! Yes I could have worded that a bit better! Rest assured the cut out button doesn't earth the HT lead.....which could certainly be quite lively, and not just in moist conditions! It's on the low tension part of the ignition system. There's a terminal on the side of the magneto wired to the cut out button on the handlebars. Press the button & it makes contact with the handlebars (= earth).

And I've just realized some earlier model singles might have had a valve lifter/decompression lever which could be used to stop the engine.

Thanks a ton guys for all the help - much appreciated!! As it turns out there's no terminal on my magneto and it doesn't look like it ever had one. I saw a picture of a magneto with a terminal for the kill switch, but definitely non on mine. I'm thinking that because my bike was originally sold and used in Italy, (not for export to NA), the safety requirements must have been different. Once going it runs great, but idle is really erratic. Someone told me that the choke is actually off when the cable is pulled (lever pointing to "A" and choke carb slide up). Doesn't seem to make much difference either way so I'm going to have to pull the carb apart. Any idea on the factory air screw setting? Thanks again! Paul

Gazkid said:
Someone told me that the choke is actually off when the cable is pulled (lever pointing to "A" and choke carb slide up). Doesn't seem to make much difference either way so I'm going to have to pull the carb apart. Any idea on the factory air screw setting? Thanks again! Paul

I read that and checked my translation of the Falcone book. It says the air lever on the handlebars is not a choke but an air control slide and a means of adjusting the air/fuel mix whilst on the move. It says that the range of this adjustment is the equivalent of "3 to 4 points of the measurement of the main jet". So I guess it's meant to be like having a variable main jet and reminds me of old bikes with manual advance/retard for the ignition, with I guess a similar intention = to alter settings for different riding conditions & performance.

The book then says: "Contary to common belief this air control does not affect the enriching for a cold start. To obtain starting enrichment the rider must momentarily depress the tickler button on the float chamber".

My Ercole has a similar set up, but with a double lever on the handlebars. One is this air control, the other is the throttle as it does not have a twist grip throttle. However I do use the air lever for starting as well as the tickler. I leave the lever with the cable slack for starting, then pull it taut for running. But I have never deliberately tried adjusting it on the move. It is actually a bit of a troublesome device as it re-adjusts itself with the vibration!

As to factory carb air screw settings I'm afraid I can't help because my Airone has been fitted with an Amal Concentric, but from my experience with other Dellortos I'd suggest trying with the air screw 1 or 1.5 turns out and seeing how it runs, & checking the plug colour for rich/lean mixture.

You stop the engine by pulling in the engine decompressor if it is like the falcone.

Your very beautiful looking machine seems to me to be an prety original Airone Sport :its got the high shouldered alloy rims ,sport handle bars and the toe operated rear brake.It should have a 25mm dell 'Orto SSI carb.The Airone has no valve lifter like the Falcone :to put it off you hold your hand to the carb to shut off air suply or you push your boot to the flywheel.We have been to the GMG 2011 in Mandello ,from Holland :2600 km up and back,and one of our group of 4 rode his Airone Sport from 1954,without any problem;very reliable machines.Don"t put it in the living room,but in your garage,ready to ride,and let it out as much as you can,so other people can enjoy it too.Those machines were made to ride ,and that's what they should do ,also after 56 years.(good chance the Airone is elder then you are ).Have lots of fun whith the bike.

greetings Leo Volmer-Falcone SS

Back