• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

HID Kit V7-S Install

clement

Just got it firing!
Has anyone installed an HID kit in their V7? I just picked one up this past weekend but haven't started the install yet as I have nearly a full tank of gas and will need to remove the tank (don't have a pump handy). I also noticed that I'm going to need to do some fabrication to the headlight bucket to make everything fit -- or just replace it with a deeper bucket. Wondering if anyone has done this? How did things go? I'm hoping to do it all next Saturday and will take photos along the way to share.

I put an HID in my 2013 V7 Racer. My first attempt was a simple swap but I didn't care for the beam pattern with the stock headlight. So I also swapped the headlight with a Cibie unit.

Very happy with the result. See and be seen, that is the goal.

bigtex said:
I put an HID in my 2013 V7 Racer. My first attempt was a simple swap but I didn't care for the beam pattern with the stock headlight. So I also swapped the headlight with a Cibie unit.
Can you post more info on the Cibie? Google turned up very little.

Woops, my bad, make that Hella, not Cibie.

http://www.rallylights.com/all/lights/headlamps/hl79562-7-round-h4-e-code-headlamp-each.html

79562_2.jpg

I used this same setup on my old CBX, worked beautifully.

Plug and play for the most part. You plug in to the existing headlight plug and you have to run a wire direct to the battery. You do have to mount the ballast and route/attach several wires, so there is some fabbing and poking around a bit. Removing the tank would greatly simplify all that.

bigtex said:
Plug and play for the most part. You plug in to the existing headlight plug and you have to run a wire direct to the battery. You do have to mount the ballast and route/attach several wires, so there is some fabbing and poking around a bit. Removing the tank would greatly simplify all that.

This is what I'm looking at. I bought an HID from BikeMaster. The headlight bucket is slightly too shallow to fit so I'll have to do some cutting there -- I'm planning on removing the tank to make the wiring to the battery nice and clean as well as find somewhere to mount the ballast and relay without adding any more clutter by the headlight / gauges.

I bought the kit from a local bike shop here in Austin...but here it is online.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/984/44684/ITEM/BikeMaster-HID-Light-Kits.aspx

-Clement

One option would be to swap the standard OEM H4 bulb for an Osram Nightbreaker H4. Keep the same reflector and lens. This will put more light on the road, which will be an immediate improvement.

Performing a direct bulb swap from H4 to HID is a not the best idea because the reflector and lens will not focus the light pattern as would a HID projector. Even the Hella H4 conversion reflector you swapped in would produce a bad beam pattern. Consequently, the light scatters and you put less light on the road than you would have had if you had kept the halogen bulb not to mention it bother other drivers on the road with the dazzling light.

Bigtex, how did you manage to get high beams? HIDs normally have a solenoid to operate a light shield; they are not normally dual filament.

There are HID projector retrofit kits for motorcycles from The Retrofit Source ( http://www.theretrofitsource.com/. Retrofitting a HID projector into the headlamp bucket is not possible because the depth behind the reflector is too shallow. The other problem is that HIDs don't like to be relit once they've struck. The load shed circuit on motorcycles can cause problems relighting HIDs at startup. The solution is usually a time delay relay circuit that delays the HID lighting until after the bike is started.

rbm said:
Bigtex, how did you manage to get high beams? HIDs normally have a solenoid to operate a light shield; they are not normally dual filament.

Exactly that, an H4 HID with a moving light shield. Works great.

Did the install of the BikeMaster HID kit yesterday. The stock headlight bucket is not deep enough for the bulb & wiring so I had to cut out the back for now. It literally needs just 1/8 to 1/4 inch more space -- probably going to buy a new bucket at some point. I ran all the cabling underneath the tank, there is a perfect spot to tuck the ballast and relay in as well as a spot to run the ground to the frame. Used some black zip ties and heat shrink tubing to clean up the loose wires and everything is looking and working great!

Back