Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Hidden Customization

Discussion in 'Custom Guzzi Builds' started by Tonerjockey, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Tonerjockey

Tonerjockey High Miler GT Contributor

Hmmmm let's see how THIS works...

1973 V7 Sport

[​IMG]

2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Rollers eh?!

3. Tonerjockey

Yeah, I've had these for several years. This is the first time I am trying them out. They seem to fit and operate OK.
    Hopefully I won't damage these Mike Rich heads.

Alex

4. not-fishing

not-fishing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Being a fan of roller rockers from decades ago I was thinking about what it would take to retrofit a Griso 2V.

It's part of my Zero-Drag OCD mindset. Nothing like freeing up power for other things.

5. duc

duc Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Rollers are great used them on my small block fords,Figure it out,would love to know.
    Duc

6. lucky phil

lucky phil Cruisin' Guzzisti

Made by????

7. brlawson

brlawson Cruisin' Guzzisti

8. Tonerjockey

good question phil.
    I saw these in a picture over a decade ago. Several years later I was rummaging around at Guzzi Classics and found these. I don't know if they are the same pieces I saw in that picture so many years ago, but thought I'd give them a try.
    They then aged on my shelf for years.
    Since I wrote this thread, I've taken them back out of the V7 Sport race bike. I chickened out... that bike has a whole lotta effort (and $$$) wrapped up in it.
    Alex

Lilium likes this.
  9. Tonerjockey

Thanx brlawson.
    Alex

10. lucky phil

Thanks for that brlawson. I had a feeling they were baisleys. Ive checked their site before but they dont have any Guzzi photos there.
    The cost seems OK at 450us for the conversion but our exchange rate is so poor these days its a little expensive right now.
    Would help with guide wear, but change the cam timing a little. Not enough to worry about though.
    Ciao

11. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

So a roller at the stem of the valve, and a solid lifter at the cam. Isn't this arse about face?

12. lucky phil

No not really. An engine can have either or both. Personally I like to have both in a pushrod engine.

Ciao

13. Tonerjockey

I would like to find a roller cam, lifter and rocker for an old Guzzi... plus a roller crank ...

14. aussiedave

aussiedave Tuned and Synch'ed

as I'm also a Norton Commando owner , I 've never had a problem with Guzzi valve guide or tip wear to warrant rollers. Nortons wear both considerably , due to really poor angles. What I wonder is all that extra weight put on the end of the rocker arm , that cant be good in a high performance / high revving motor? Seems contrary to me. High performance motors ? expect to replace the valves regularly , they will probably stretch anyway and keep rockers etc as light as possible. I also have a V7 sport , 36mm pumpers, flowed heads and the ol B10 cam , almost no flywheel, its lotsa fun. Keep on with news of the LSR , always enjoy hearing of mods and success or otherwise !

Dave

15. Tonerjockey

Hey Dave,
    The Bonneville record I set in 750cc Production Class - Production Pushrod engine was beat by a Norton Commando. That bike looked really good.

16. lucky phil

The primary purpose of a roller tipped rocker is not about valve tip and guide wear its about transmitting the information from the cam lobe to the valve in a more accurate manner.
    As the rocker foot in a normal rocker ( a la guzzi) moves across the valve stem it sweeps in an arc the extent of which is determined by the rocker ratio and the location of the rocker pivot in relation to the valve stem.
    A roller tipped rocker actually goes same way to negating this phenomena. Not entirely but significantly. So the information from the lobe is more accurately transmitted to the valve as i said before.
    Reduced side thrust and its effect on guide wear are a secondary gain.
    This is why to gain the maximum benefit from the roller tipped rocker you need to modify the cam profile.

Ciao

17. aussiedave

aussiedave Tuned and Synch'ed

Cheers Phil , Hi Alex,
    Thanks i appreciate the explanation. I'm starting to get it , but then I've always been a slow learner !
    I'm still of the standard Guzzi philosophy tho - less weighty bits = quicker power ! and as you say better accuracy always helps - top to toe but with Guzzi usually starts with re-setting the factory timing marks eh ! but now we need to work out how to get Alex's V7 sport back in to shape to do in that Notrun Commando at Bonneville ! crikey that Norton cant have had much original bits left in it !
    dave

18. Tonerjockey

hehh heh Notrun indeed.

The V7 Sport did 127+ in 1.3 miles at El Mirage (Mojave desert) last year. If I can stop screwing with it we should be able to set a new one at Bonneville. 750 P-PP record currently held by Big D and that Norton, is 126.434 MPH at Bonne and that is with a 3 mile starting run.
    Now we hafta wait for Bonneville to open again for racing... it's going on 2 years since the last trails there. Combination of wet and lost salt prevents racing on the salt.
    Bonneville racing could be a thing of the past.
    Alex