Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

High-Pitched Squeak

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by pokeyjoe, Oct 27, 2012.

1. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

My V7 started making a high-pitched squeaking noise when I come off throttle pulling up to a stop. Its not the brakes. It does it for a second or two, then stops. Its been doing it for a week or so. I can't hear it cruising or accelerating. Today, at one point, it was fairly loud and definitely sounded like metal on metal.

I pulled the alternator cover off to see if I could see anything, but everything is tight. The sound is definitely coming from the front of the engine. If I start the engine cold, nothing. It has to warm up before this happens.

The bike has about 1100 miles on it and had its first service at 610.

Any thoughts?

2. Holt

Holt High Miler GT Contributor

Clutch?
    The SB clutces can sound fearful and very near the last breath when pulled, which is one reason to use ear-plugs... :mrgreen:
    Is it only at speed, or will you hear it at stand still? Could be a bearing which is a less attractive alternative. If you've got a center stand and dare let the bike roll in different gears when put, I'd suggest you to use a stethoscope to localize the area from where the sound origines.

3. Paxo

Paxo Cruisin' Guzzisti

Had the main bearing spin in the crankcase housing and that sounded like that. Ended up with an oil leak that couldn't be cured and the engine had to be replaced.

4. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

I hope its not a bearing.

Apparently, the small blocks have had issues with too little grease on the clutch rod and cup. I hope Luigi was just lazy again. At any rate, I'll give the dealer a call.

5. Greyo

Greyo Cruisin' Guzzisti

My 2010 V7C had 2 squeaks: one was clearly the clutch (it would happen only when the clutch was engaged), the other was much more worrisome, as it would be intermittent and only happend at around 50 mi/h speed (seemingly coming from the gearbox area).

Funny thing, my local dealer told me they were both nothing to worry about, then, when I traded the V7C in to buy my current G8VSE, they suddenly seemed to get much more worried about the squeaks... :laugh:

6. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

I took the bike to the dealer on Saturday. They were able to replicate the squeal (it really does sound like a slipping fan belt). That's good. Unfortunately, they have two Ducati's stripped down to the frame in the shop and don't want to take another bike apart until they get those sorted out. Can't say as I blame them. So, it looks like at least a month before I get my bike back. Kind of a bummer, but at least its not prime riding season anymore (although I do manage to ride quite a bit in the winter).

7. sign216

sign216 High Miler

Pokey, half the battle is getting the sound to appear in front of the mechanics. Keep us posted with what happens. Others have had similar sounds, with different solutions.

8. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

Don't I know it. I've been sweatin' that since I dropped off the bike. I didn't make the noise while I was there, but did when they took it out for a ride this week. I can't imagine the nightmare I would have faced if they didn't hear it.

9. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

Stopped by to visit my bike today. They should be starting on it today or maybe Monday. I did talk to the mechanic that test rode it. He said he called MG and they suspect that it might be the throwout bearing. Apparently, lots of bikes are delivered with a poorly adjusted clutch. No play equals all the grease getting thrown out of the bearing. The mechanic said my clutch was adjusted properly so its probably something else.

Updates when I get them.

10. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

A friend has a 750 that has an occasional squeal. I couldn't get it to do it in my presence. On the owners description, I replaced the throw out bearing. It was not the cause.

11. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

Got a call from the service manager on Saturday. He didn't have many details, but he was told that it was a "pushrod in the transmission". It was too tight or something. The mechanic also said that he has seen it before. I'll try to get more details.

12. Moto Fugazzi

Moto Fugazzi Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Sounds like the same noise my 2009 V7C is having. The dealer ordered up a new push rod and bearings and will install them under warranty. I opted to pay for a new clutch disc as long as he was in there replacing everything.
    I made a video for them since I couldn't always duplicate the sound when I took the bike to the dealer. Does it sound like this? http://s286.beta.photobucket.com/user/k ... sort=3&o=1

bandido likes this.
  13. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

No, mine doesn't sound like that at all. My sounds exactly like a slipping fan belt. Sometimes it just chirps, sometimes it a full-on squeal, once it was a horrible metal-on-metal sound. Parts have been ordered (same parts you mentioned).

14. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

Fixed??

The dealer called late yesterday and said my bike is done. I feel like I may have to start over with a MSF course, at this point. It's been five weeks.

I had the service manager read the replacement parts off the work order. They replaced the clutch rod and the cup (not the bearing). According to the description of the cup, it's a new type. Hopefully, that will take care of the problem.

I will try to pick the bike up Saturday, if it's not raining.

15. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

I picked up the bike today. The mechanics explanation was that the clutch wasn't adjusted properly and there was pressure on the cup all the time. When he checked the clutch adjustment after I brought it in, he said it was fine. Is there some way to screw up the adjustment on the back of the transmission and still have proper play at the lever?

16. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I don't think so. Either you have free play in the cable or you don't. Any free play and the rod should not be in constant contact with the cup. The rod my touch the cup, but it won't be under pressure. The reason for the throw out bearing is so everything turns in unison when there is pressure on the rod.

17. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

Well, I'm baffled as to the cause then. I know I didn't have any play in the lever when the bike was delivered, but I fixed that before the bike had 50 miles on it. All was quiet for almost 1000 miles and then it started squeaking.