• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hole in Air box on the Engine side of Airbox. Check yours

Glenn Yingst

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I have been dealing with a Random missfire on my 2016 Stelvio NTX for over a year. It started at around 12000km and went un-diagnose until 27000km. Poor idle, surging and hunting . I finally left it at the dealership with instruction that I didn't want it back until it was 100%. They thought It might be the idle Stepper motor and finally got approval from Piaggio to replace it. Upon disassembly to install the Stepper motor they discover a 1 1/2" hole in the airbox under one of the rubber tubes connecting the TB to the airbox with excessive dirt and sand in the airbox. So the Tech checked a 2016 Stelvio sitting on the show room floor and guess what, same hole same location. They checked another customers 2016 Stelvio in for service and it did not have the hole so its not a consistent defect.
(Now I had noticed excess sand and dirt in the airbox when I serviced the Air filter at 15000km. and let the dealer know, I was told I likley didn't get the airbox sealed when I last check the filter. So I replaced the Airfilter and made sure the airbox was sealed correctly.)

Anyway there had been so much dirt passed through the throttle bodies that they where worn out and would not seal when closed. This would explain the hunting and surging as the stepper motor was trying to compensate for the extra air present on the TB side of the filter.
Once the Throttle Bodies had been replaced and the hole patched Stelvio runs and idles as it should. I have requested extended warranty from Piaggio and they are dragging their heals. 11 emails so far back and forth and still nothing yet.
Common sense would dictate that if there was enough dirt passed through the TB that they wore out .... That dirt also went through the motor!

I still think the Stelvio is a Great Motorcycle and Love it but I have to say I'm not impressed with PIAGGIO!

will post and update when I hear back

If the dirt was on the outside of the filter in the air box then the engine may not have ingested any. A goodwill warranty extension would be nice considering yours is not the only one with this issue.

If the dirt was on the outside of the filter in the air box then the engine may not have ingested any. A goodwill warranty extension would be nice considering yours is not the only one with this issue.
I should have described it better. the Hole is on the Motor side of the Filter. So un filtered air and dirt was going through the throttle bodies and into the motor.

That is bizarre. Did the hole look like it was made to be there? Was it perfectly round with smooth edges?
That just seems very odd. Is there some version of that airbox where there is a fitting there for a hose or tube?

The hole is a mold or casting defect, Not symmetrical. And the weird thing it isn't on all Stelvio's . I was thinking the air box comes from a out side supplier , they should have caught that on assembly.
Still waiting to hear back from Piaggio!!

I just found the hole on my 2016 Stelvio as I’m trying to track down a terrible idle problem. I am furious as this bike is long out of warranty.

Sounds like the goods inwards inspection at the factory isn't up to scratch.
To follow the theme, I found that 2 out of 2 Breva 1100 clocks I looked at had one of the vents in the back blocked with plastic in the wrong place.
Good news was that carefuly sticking a drill through it removed the misting problem I had.
Sadly the same can't be said for this issue

I was eagerly looking forward to see the new Stelvios but I seriously have doubts. This is basic QA, nickel and dime parts, and inspection could prevent major damage.

Well, at least I can show my wife a reason why i sit in front of the motorcycle and look at it....
Quality control....😜🤪

I just found the hole on my 2016 Stelvio as I’m trying to track down a terrible idle problem. I am furious as this bike is long out of warranty.
Thanks for reviving this thread and the photos. I’ll be more vigilant in checking all we see in my shop. This is certainly a VERY frustrating situation, sorry to see and hear. We have also seen a handful of newer NTX that have excessive freeplay in the throttle (butterfly) shafts. Now I wonder the correlation between both this and those. If you grab the linkage arm/shaft where it goes into the throttle body on either side, do you have any visible side to side movement when wiggled?
Excessively worn shafts will exhibit idle issues and sneezing at idle. Most think it’s the stepper motor.

I have no extra play in linkage arm.

I suspect the carbon canister. Disconnecting the TB hoses at TB and linking hose between them shortly.

Ok, not in the arm, but in the shaft itself that goes through the throttle body.

Hey all! I didn’t find this exact problem, but I did recently find the bottom drain tube had broken off, the side drain tube was not connected and the airbox was splitting at the weld seam! Sheesh. Make sure the check this seam if you’re pulling the airbox!

Included pictures are the seam failure, then the hose on the bottom that completely broke off, then the side port. Final picture is what the bottom drain line looked like from the side of the bike with nothing disassembled.

71485711024  4252C41E AD83 4A53 850B F6F15A91A384 IMG 4193 IMG 4192 IMG 4138

Back