Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Horn... A little weak.

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by mikeaedmonds, Mar 12, 2015.

1. mikeaedmonds

mikeaedmonds Cruisin' Guzzisti

Have been thinking about changing the horn. It sounds too much like the wife's scooter...lol. My father-inlaw has a goldwing, his horn is both loud and noticeable. Was wondering if anyone has changed the horn and if any 12v horn would be inter-changeable with the current horn fitted.

2. tjgajewski

tjgajewski Just got it firing!

Hi Mike,

I changed out mine with the following

Stebel 11451128 - Magnum Electric Low Tone Horn Black

Stebel 11451127 - Magnum Electric High Tone Horn Black

The stock horns draw 1.5 amps each (total 3.0 amps) and the two stebels each draw 4.5 amps (total 9.0 amps). I did not use the relay as the circuit is fused for 15 amps. If I add anything else to the circuit I will definitely use the relay, but for now it’s okay. It was a simple swap (10 minutes) and used the same wiring connectors.

I live in Los Angeles and to your point the stock horns just did not cut it in traffic. Now people jump when I fire off the stebels. The sound is definitely like my SUV horn and the installation looks stock. If I remember I’ll attach a photo this weekend.

Best Tom

ZClark73 likes this.
  3. mikeaedmonds

Thanks Tom. Will have to look at those, i agree the horn is weak. Did you buy the horns local or online?

4. tjgajewski

tjgajewski Just got it firing!

Hi Mike, I purchased the horns online through amazon. I did see that the horns are packaged as a kit, but the kit was never in stock in the US. So I purchased the horns individually. I seem to remember that a supplier is Oz had the kit on hand, but shipping from Australia was a little salty and total cost was more than buying individually in the US.

5. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

I put a pair of air horns on my Breva, the compressor and relay sit under the seat and I used the existing horn wires to operate the relay. 20150313_210150.jpg

6. Fast1400

Fast1400 Tuned and Synch'ed

Derek Wiltshire likes this.
  7. abbienormal

abbienormal High Miler GT Famiglia

That is the lowest price I have seen on them. Thanks. Mine are on order.

8. abbienormal

I mounted my Stebel High and low tones. I looked at the mounting strap that came with them and it was a bit longer than the OEM mounts. I also noticed the OEM mounts has a rubber vibration damper in them. The stock mounting stud is 5mm so I spread the inner mount piece upen to fit over the 6mm stud on the Stebel horns then pinched the ends together so it would go back into the rubber. A 6mm fender washer, M6x18, and some loctite and it was mounted. Looks original.

Attached Files:

ZClark73 likes this.
  9. mikeaedmonds

Very Nice install...

10. James Chance

James Chance Cruisin' Guzzisti

Mounted mine the exact same way. Definitely gets the intended results when used.....

11. roadventure

roadventure GT Reference GT Famiglia

Mike,

Check this post:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/horn-a-little-weak.14416/#post-103685

I have done this as well and they work very nicely.

12. Tonerjockey

Tonerjockey High Miler GT Contributor

John L likes this.
  13. blakbird

blakbird Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Mounted the Stebel Magnums as recommended, and described, by tjgajewski, and abbienormal.

Easy install. Nice clean look, better than stock.

Now for the hard part, psychological reconditioning, to overcome the fear of pressing the "squeak" button.

14. Dale Baker

Dale Baker Cruisin' Guzzisti

15. mikeaedmonds

16. Robert Gibson

Robert Gibson High Miler GT Contributor

Installed a pair of PIAA Dual tone horns, carefully rotated the horn mounting brackets 180 degs and used the original mounting points.

Attached Files:

17. Uss

Uss Tuned and Synch'ed

Just installed the Hi/Lo set of Stebel Magnums on the Eldorado. On ignition on they are almost dead but come on when the engine is running. There is a relay which has come in the box. From the posts above I gather it is not needed as the circuit is fused for 15 amps. In this case do I need to put install the relay? What else does this circuit serve so that I know when to put in a relay to avoid an overload.

18. abbienormal

I didn't use the relay and no problems.

19. sanford12

sanford12 Just got it firing!

I went with Hella universal fit chrome trumpet horn kit from Amazon. They're hard to beat for 25 bucks. Why they put 50cc scooter horns on a 1400cc bagger touring is a mystery to me.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNV2T5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a sound video cause how will you know if you can't hear them

20. Dan Brooks

Dan Brooks Tuned and Synch'ed

Euro spec horns leave alot to be desired.