RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we are in the crazy times for orders. Lead times are long, so we can't do much to rush things. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (mainly August), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and also, we aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum; Be sure to try a search and/or post on the Forum before starting a new topic, and as a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GT products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our custom builds at GTMotoCycles.com or click the Service tab above.

Hot starting problem, colored head pipes

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by MattKrajo, May 27, 2019.

1. MattKrajo

MattKrajo Just got it firing!

Hello guys,

I am new here. I bought Cali custom on spring. Its a 2013 with 11000 km on odo.

1. I noticed starting problem when engine is warmed. Sometimes it starts with no problem on first attempt, somethime it tooks 5 second of turning starter, sometimes I need to stop holding starting button and try again. Spark plugs are new, also new battery. The bike was in service in dealer this week, they said diagnostic said nothing, everithing should be OK. Can you help me?

2. The head pipes on this bike goes to be colored. I polished it with metal paste to make chrome effect, but after few rides it starts to be gold again. My friend has Eldorado without no problem with pipes. I guess that pipes are same on Eldorado/ Custom / Touring.

Thanks for your advice

2. Eldo1400

Eldo1400 Cruisin' Guzzisti

I can only say I haven't had that problem. Have your air and fuel filters been replaced?

3. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm guessing it's probably due to the bike running lean to meet emission standards.

4. Didier

Didier Tuned and Synch'ed

That make sense. give a litle bit of gas when you start it.

5. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, do not do this... ride by wire, so it will not give good results.

6. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

You're on the right site to fix the fueling issue.

https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/fueling

I have Todd's ECU reflash, with the PC300 power commander and AT200 autotune. I actually purchased his demo bike with the mods already done.

I've never experienced chromed pipes on any bike not going a bit colored, unless of course they are double skinned. Getting the fueling right will help mitigate this.

7. omega1

omega1 Just got it firing!

I also bought a 2013 Cali tour in Feb 2013 and had similar issues. Both were resolved (eventually) as follows:

Approx in June 2014 Guzzi released a new map for my bike. The dealer uploaded it and it resolved all the cold/hot starting hesitation. From inspecting the spark plugs before and after the remap and it was obvious that the new map was slightly richer. Fuel consumption also went up a bit - reserve light comes on after 200km compared to 220km before.

Check therefore with the dealer if you have the later map - it may help you.

My coloured pipes story goes like this:

Both headers turned a golden shade very early on. So be it I thought. Then in late 2015 the inner header (they are double skinned) of the left header cracked and broke up inside the chrome outer. Massive racket, sounded like the entire engine had self destructed.
    I bought a new header and noticed an obvious upgrade. Whereas the original header was completely whole the new part has two 16mm holes drilled into the outer chrome header near the exhaust port and another hole drilled underneath the header just before the double skin outer and inner tubes meet. Why they did this is anyone guess but my thought is that it keeps the inner and outer tubes cooler.

For good measure I took off the right hand header and drilled matching 'vent holes' in it. The new 'vented' header still discolored slightly but significantly less than the original item. After polishing out my modified right header as best I could, it too has not darkened significantly.

Check on your bike if the vent holes are there. If not, dismount the headers and drill them. Check out a late model bike at a dealer to see first hand what I am saying.

PS. while the headers are off the bike, strengthen the join between the headers and the cross over pipe.

20151002_151540.jpg 20151002_151532.jpg 20150917_152451.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 4:59 AM
    PaulDavies likes this.