• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How did you bike make out for Christmas

I asked for the first two of my modest moto-related gifts. The third came out of the blue.

Here’s #1 -

i-bqj46DK-L.jpg

As I am admirer of those with mechanical talent — primarily because I have so little — I am nonetheless blessed to know, à la Dirty Harry, my limitations. Thus, shorter handles on wrenches and the like reduce the chances of my ham-fisting a fastener to the point of thread damage. I am the only person I know who buys TimeSert in bulk. :( My old stubby 1/4-3/8 drive ratchet finally died — assisted by a 3-foot drop onto concrete — so I wanted it replaced.

Now, #2 -

i-bpKnvhW-L.jpg

I wanted this for traveling. It, too, is a ratchet handle. But note that it also provides a 1/2”-drive option, by rather cleverly permitting the drive-end of a 1/2” socket to slip over the 1/4”-drive fitting.

Yes, lots of trade-offs and negatives. For example, a 1/2” fastener is rarely affixed at 20Nm or ultra-low "toe pounds," so a small handle may be useless to remove or snug down those beefy fasteners to spec. Yes, I suppose, but I do carry an extension pipe that will add to leverage without — Bill says hopefully — adding excessive stress to the ratchet’s innards. Whatever, I am a tool whore. :giggle: Besides, most of my significant holdings in the Moto Grappa are for my more able visiting friends to use! :clap:
on
Finally, #3 -

i-3QshRtC-L.jpg

Anyone familiar with the plastic on Guzzi Calis and, in particular, the ineluctable failure of the Soviet-grade plastic turn-signal stalks at front and rear, will immediately appreciate this godsend, created by a friend on his 3-D printer! My own beloved hotdog & mustard EV, despite being garaged indoors and pampered by moto-spa-level care, sports turn signals fore and aft that are strengthened by popsicle sticks covered with electrical tape and further supported by zip ties! Yes, really. :tmi:

But, now, it’s a return to functional elegance! The gift came, of course, with all four, not only the one I have in the photo.

OK, that’s it. We have so many other tasks around here, it will quite literally be a week into next year before I can go down and play in the Moto Grappa, so it’s been therapeudic even to post this.

Merry Third Day Of Christmas & a Guzzi New Year to all!

Bill

Thanks, Scott. Always glad to know others -- albeit I am certain less often than I -- can turn that wrench "just a wee bit more." :banghead:

Those Cali t/s stalks were a one-off gift and I one of the first guinea pigs.

I'll check with my friend to see when and if he contemplates a "real" production run. I think he picked me because he knew that if anyone could screw up installation, I could. :giggle:

He may simply share his data and instructions "in the clear" rather than create more in any number. I will let you know.

I will say that they look really really good "in person."

Bill

Whatever, I am a tool whore. :giggle:

OMG - coffee shot out my nose as I started laughing uncontrollably reading this!

I too, am a Tool Whore! 😆😆😆. Only a bonafide one would drag his rollaways around the world!

Only problem will be no 110V setup. I will need new 220V plug in tools!

Yippee. Tool shopping. 😀👍👌🙏🤞

Michael will not be “excited” about it 😩

I can hear the groaning already! 😆😆😆

Another tool whore chiming in here:

A 2 kVA 240/120-volt (220/110) step-down transformer would avoid the need to replace your plug-in tools. They should still work OK while running at 83% speed (50/60 Hz).

Good to know but then I couldn't go shopping for new tools! :D

As I am not an EE guy, what is the significance at running 83% speed? Can you not use it across the entire range?

Maximum speed would be 50/60 (frequency of AC in most of Europe is 50 Hz instead of 60 Hz) of nameplate speed rating. Variable speed would still work, but maximum speed would be 83% of nameplate if motor is AC.

After thinking about it more, many hand-held tools have universal motors (AC/DC with brushes) that would still run at full nameplate speed regardless of frequency. Bench power tools with induction motors would run at about 83% of nameplate speed.

Last edited:
Those Cali t/s stalks were a one-off gift and I one of the first guinea pigs.
I'll check with my friend to see when and if he contemplates a "real" production run. I think he picked me because he knew that if anyone could screw up installation, I could
I now have two 3D printers, so happy to be of help, if he wants to share a stp or stl file, otherwise I can whip up the design myself to offer on the Store tab above.
Happy/Merry guys, fun thread.

I asked for the first two of my modest moto-related gifts. The third came out of the blue.

Here’s #1 -

i-bqj46DK-L.jpg

As I am admirer of those with mechanical talent — primarily because I have so little — I am nonetheless blessed to know, à la Dirty Harry, my limitations. Thus, shorter handles on wrenches and the like reduce the chances of my ham-fisting a fastener to the point of thread damage. I am the only person I know who buys TimeSert in bulk. :( My old stubby 1/4-3/8 drive ratchet finally died — assisted by a 3-foot drop onto concrete — so I wanted it replaced.

Now, #2 -

i-bpKnvhW-L.jpg

I wanted this for traveling. It, too, is a ratchet handle. But note that it also provides a 1/2”-drive option, by rather cleverly permitting the drive-end of a 1/2” socket to slip over the 1/4”-drive fitting.

Yes, lots of trade-offs and negatives. For example, a 1/2” fastener is rarely affixed at 20Nm or ultra-low "toe pounds," so a small handle may be useless to remove or snug down those beefy fasteners to spec. Yes, I suppose, but I do carry an extension pipe that will add to leverage without — Bill says hopefully — adding excessive stress to the ratchet’s innards. Whatever, I am a tool whore. :giggle: Besides, most of my significant holdings in the Moto Grappa are for my more able visiting friends to use! :clap:
on
Finally, #3 -

i-3QshRtC-L.jpg

Anyone familiar with the plastic on Guzzi Calis and, in particular, the ineluctable failure of the Soviet-grade plastic turn-signal stalks at front and rear, will immediately appreciate this godsend, created by a friend on his 3-D printer! My own beloved hotdog & mustard EV, despite being garaged indoors and pampered by moto-spa-level care, sports turn signals fore and aft that are strengthened by popsicle sticks covered with electrical tape and further supported by zip ties! Yes, really. :tmi:

But, now, it’s a return to functional elegance! The gift came, of course, with all four, not only the one I have in the photo.

OK, that’s it. We have so many other tasks around here, it will quite literally be a week into next year before I can go down and play in the Moto Grappa, so it’s been therapeudic even to post this.

Merry Third Day Of Christmas & a Guzzi New Year to all!

Bill
I was literally bent over laughing reading your text, great...

Back