• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How hot does the oil get in an 8V Griso?

Penis Rotor

GT Godfather!
Well, I've got a Mandello Rosso in the workshop at the moment and the owner has a temp guage dipstick so I snaffled it for a quick thrash into town today so we can lay to rest the question of how hot the oil in an 8V Guzzi may get. I've got some pics but the files are huge, I'm trying to upload them to flickr but my guess is it will have a huge dummy-spit before they get loaded .

Anyway, its HOT here today, very hot. At 10AM the bike's thermometer said 36 degrees in my carport.The temp dipstick said the same so it should be fairly accurate.

So what did I do. went for a flog into Canberra to pick up a gearbox mount for Graham.

The route starts off as twisty two lane up and down hill and then joins the Federal Highway for a 10KM six lane strut to where I had to get to. Just after I'd left Bunged End the fuel light came on so I stopped at a service station on the Federal Highway to fuel up and check the temperature, this was probably some 20Km from Bunged End On the freeway i was holding between 130-150KPH, 80-90MPH. Ambient temp was 34-36 degrees C, (The pics will show, I can't remember.) the dipstick thermo said 118*C. When I got to the shop where the part was I'd been travelling slowly in traffic for five minutes or so. The oil temp there? 118 degrees C. Then I headed back to Bunged End by the same route but this time I had the wind, which was quite strong, on the port bow. Just before you get to Bunged End there is a 4KM slightly downhill stretch where you can see the traffic, or lack of it, all the way to town so I nailed it and the Max speed readout on entering 'City Limits' was 225KPH thats an INDICATED 140MPH to you primitives on the other side of the Pacific . I trundled back to the workshop, no more than 1 Km, and checked the oil temp, uhhhh. 120 degrees C. Over the length of the ride the ambient temp had gone up to 38*C as indicated by the bike thermometer.

Unless you are idling in traffic in these sorts of heat for LONG periods of time I don't think oil stress is going to be a problem WITH THIS ENGINE. The last of the pushrod donks may run hotter.

The start

3198568208_2ab5c53ed1.jpg

3198582946_1cb35b515b.jpg

Fuel stop.

3198599506_d15b576bab.jpg

3197766495_f6b4c51e70.jpg

Home again

3197825177_3acd8645a6.jpg

3198643476_4579b97b68.jpg

There is of course no need for you to believe any of this as I am a congenital and pathological liar who's only interest is decieving the general public ::)

Pete

(Damn. I before E except after C:blush: Deceiving. My bad.)

There is of course no need for you to believe any of this as I am a congenital and pathological liar

So how did you fix the temp guages then Pete?:unsure:

pete roper wrote:
There is of course no need for you to believe any of this as I am a congenital and pathological liar who's only interest is decieving the general public ::)
[/quote]

That and you have some kind of green insect on your bike. :eek:hmy:

You know Pete, you really shouldn't just sit in the garage in 5th gear with the engine wide open like that. :laugh:

I have that same thermometer. Unlike my older Guzzi's, my 04 EV always reads about 10-15C higher. On a day near 100F (real temperature BTW) it would be up near 140C on the oil. Not sure why. Maybe they 'leak' more oil into the heads on the hydra motor or something.

pete roper wrote:
Anyway, its HOT here today, very hot. At 10AM the bike's thermometer said 36 degrees in my carport.The temp dipstick said the same so it should be fairly accurate.

(Damn. I before E except after C:blush: Deceiving. My bad.)

You really know how to piss people off, Pete.:angry: It`s about 4degs here, salt shit all over the place, slipperier than a whores draws, grey and thouroughly f****** miserable weather. I should be hibernating now. :woohoo: :woohoo:

The 8V probably runs cooler because they forgot to drill lubrication channels to the heads.
Forgiven me for my sarcasm but my new Griso just "died" :evil:

klaas123 wrote:
The 8V probably runs cooler because they forgot to drill lubrication channels to the heads.
Forgiven me for my sarcasm but my new Griso just "died" :evil:

Sorry to here that but;

Having a Guzzi is sort of like having the clap.
It might be embarrassing and sometimes painful, but you'll nearly always go back to the girl who gave it to ya.
She's rarely unwilling, and it'll always be the best sex you ever had.

From a very clever man in Portland:laugh:

Pete

True Pete but none of my older Guzzi's has ever let me down in such a way, never had to walk even 1 meter.
I don't trust this engine anymore.....

A sad man in Holland :(

Back