• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How many miles on a tank of fuel? Fuel seeping out of cap

As the third owner of my 2014 1400 California Touring bike there are some surprises. Removed the chrome tank trim and saw that the gas cap overfill drain hose was missing. From the Spare Parts Catalog (see LuffWolf's Post #6 above for the "old" image, or look at Page 79/86, 2017 version, Group: Tank / Code: 09.010 / Description: Fuel tank), a hose should run from the gas cap nipple to a 3-way union (AP810U4666). Removed the tank and…no union. The vent hose on the underside of my tank splices at a straight connector to another hose that ends under the frame. Ostensibly these hose sections should connect to the other two ports on the 3-way union. The I.D. of the vent hose is about half the I.D. of the overfill drain hose. Is that right? Reducing the drain hose to a smaller diameter seems iffy, at least if/when too much fuel goes in the tank. Since I don’t have the union, does anyone know if the union has one larger nipple and two smaller ones to confirm this is what the factory intended?

The original hoses get brittle and crack sounds like someone has made a very poor job of replacing them. Mine are the same dia. all the way through.

Thank you, John L. Are the same-diameter hoses your bike has all the size that fits the nipple near the tank filler cap? I may end up installing new fuel-rated hoses that same exact size (guessing 1/4"/ 6mm?) top to bottom, with an adapter to upsize what looks like a 1/8" hose (3mm?) at the tank vent to the nipple on a new 3-way union (ordered yesterday), or running a designated fuel-rated hose right from the overfill nipple to down below the frame.

John L. (and any others following my post) I completely misunderstood the routing of the hoses after viewing the parts catalogue diagrams. I looked at the Service Manual for the Fuel Tank removal. Page 401 shows a Model 1 fuel tank (with 2 breather pipes on the fuel pump side) and a Model 2 (USA version) tank with only one breather pipe. Only the Model 1 (non-USA) tank has the hoses coming together in a "Y" connector. The diagram on Page 402 shows the Model 2 USA-version tank with no "Y". The hose shown with the tip-over valve connects to the gas filler cap overflow nipple, and the smaller hose connects to the sole nipple on the underside of the USA version tank. Long story short...I am sorry to have wasted your time, and I sincerely thank you for reaching out to help me with my repairs!

Mine does the same I'm full on the guage for about 140klms the drops like a lead balloon. I check the fuel mileage per 100klms by toggling the mode button to guage roughly how much fuel is left. Of course it will depend on how spirited you are riding if just highway or twisty back roads and if solo or two up. I have found it to be fairly accurate by being conservative with my calculations. I havent run out of fuel. I have tested this by checking how much fuel I put in when I refuel.

John L. (and any others following my post) I completely misunderstood the routing of the hoses after viewing the parts catalogue diagrams. I looked at the Service Manual for the Fuel Tank removal. Page 401 shows a Model 1 fuel tank (with 2 breather pipes on the fuel pump side) and a Model 2 (USA version) tank with only one breather pipe. Only the Model 1 (non-USA) tank has the hoses coming together in a "Y" connector. The diagram on Page 402 shows the Model 2 USA-version tank with no "Y". The hose shown with the tip-over valve connects to the gas filler cap overflow nipple, and the smaller hose connects to the sole nipple on the underside of the USA version tank. Long story short...I am sorry to have wasted your time, and I sincerely thank you for reaching out to help me with my repairs!

No problem Pete, glad you have got it sorted. Things do get confusing when there are differences due to local regulations. I usually get around 230kms (140miles) till the fuel light comes on at which point there is around 5ltrs left in the tank which should give another 80kms (50miles).

Last edited:
And to add a small variation to this thread , has anyone noticed an increase in mileage
using Touring mode instead of Veloce ? Peter

Thanks , I wasn't too sure , so yesterday I went on a 400 kilometer ride ( crap was it cold in the mountains
around Pemberton ,B.C) and I thought I'd spent less on fuel than I did on that same trip last year . Remember,
high octane gas up here (in the great white north) is $1.70 per quart ! Peter
On this Hwy 99, as you get out of Pemberton is no place for Veloce mode , 40 KPH corners are common and
sometimes they come up in a surprising fashion . Peter

Thanks , I wasn't too sure , so yesterday I went on a 400 kilometer ride ( crap was it cold in the mountains
around Pemberton ,B.C) and I thought I'd spent less on fuel than I did on that same trip last year . Remember,
high octane gas up here (in the great white north) is $1.70 per quart ! Peter
On this Hwy 99, as you get out of Pemberton is no place for Veloce mode , 40 KPH corners are common and
sometimes they come up in a surprising fashion . Peter
My best result 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20220902_011419.jpg
    IMG_20220902_011419.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 5
AND it's not just Guzzi...

My '13 Victory Cross Tour does the same thing.
Stays on full for about 80 miles, hits half around 110, then drops to E by 115.
Around 125 low fuel light comes on.
I have gone as far as 175 miles on a tank & when I filled had less than a 1/2 gallon left.
I usually fill up around the 130 mark.

I often wonder how we managed "back when" there were no fuel gauges or idiot lights.
I surely do miss the old double petcocks with one being the "main" & the other being "reserve".
Around 300 miles on a tank......big sigh.......
You said it. I miss the old double petcock under the fuel tank, too. The engine could sputter and I would reach down and switch to the reserve while riding. Easy.

My 1400 Customs’s gas gauge is extremely pessimistic. It registers full up to 80miles then drops like a dive bomber, going on “ reserve “ anywhere from 115miles onward. I have run 150 miles supposedly on fumes, but when I top off the tank only have put in 3.5 gallons. Based on that, I would say you are good for 200+ miles before you are truly empty.
I get the same numbers. Then running for some 20+ miles in reserve I get 3.8 or almost 4 gallons out of the pump

I recently filled my 2017 Touring up before a ride with a couple of friends. I topped the fuel off while sitting on the bike (I do so at the start of a ride for max range, since the range sucks on this mc), then rolled over to the parking space, put the mc on the side stand and went in for a quick pit stop. When I came back out, there was gas dripping from the tank. Is this typical when topping off ? .

I recently filled my 2017 Touring up before a ride with a couple of friends. I topped the fuel off while sitting on the bike (I do so at the start of a ride for max range, since the range sucks on this mc), then rolled over to the parking space, put the mc on the side stand and went in for a quick pit stop. When I came back out, there was gas dripping from the tank. Is this typical when topping off ? .
I would read this whole thread then check the hoses talked about in this thread. Fuel expansion from heat when full could find it's way out. It would be the one w/check valve in it.

Do you mean it was dripping from the tank itself or from the overflow pipe under the bike? The petrol is cold coming from the tank underground and on a warm day If you fill it to the brim and don't ride off straight away it will expand in the bike tank and the build up of pressure will force it out of the overflow hose by the the fuel cap which exits under the bike, quite normal. Only fill it to the brim if you are going to ride off straight away.

Per John’s words above, you simply overfilled it. Keep the level below the metal insert. Basically fill until the pump shuts off when fully inserted.
NEVER fill to the top.

Do you mean it was dripping from the tank itself or from the overflow pipe under the bike? The petrol is cold coming from the tank underground and on a warm day If you fill it to the brim and don't ride off straight away it will expand in the bike tank and the build up of pressure will force it out of the overflow hose by the the fuel cap which exits under the bike, quite normal. Only fill it to the brim if you are going to ride off straight away.
From around the cap. Top of the tank. I've not had any other of my motorcycles do this. I only "overfill" when heading out on a long ride. The pit stop was an old(er) guy's afterthought...

From around the cap. Top of the tank. I've not had any other of my motorcycles do this. I only "overfill" when heading out on a long ride. The pit stop was an old(er) guy's afterthought...
I've never had it leak from around the cap, on mine, a 2015, there is a vent in the neck of the tank connected to a hose that runs under the tank and ends under the bike near the gearbox, letting excess fuel to run out on to the road, maybe this is no longer allowed with later emission standards or maybe the hose on yours is not connected or is crimped or blocked somewhere. I can sympathise with the old(er) guys afterthought :)

Last edited:
My California fuel gauge seems to stay on "full" for about the first 1/3 of the tank, then starts to decrease. I get about 160 miles, similar to caswain above.
Mine reads funny. The first bar last 70-75 miles, the they drop at 12-15 miles each until it gives me a warning light at the last bar and I have gone 25 miles on the warning light. I read in another treath that someone got 40 to empty. I'm not interested to confirm that.

Last edited:
Back