Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

How to connect a phone charger ???

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Mayakovski, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

Hi All;

Getting ready for a longer trip and I want to have a solid source of power for my phone for running my mapping app. I am looking at getting the following mount, but do not know where to connect it to the electrical system. Not much detail is given but it should work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How and where would I connect this to the system? My bikes a V7 III Anniversario.

Thanks

2. Andrew Joy

Andrew Joy Just got it firing!

Should be able to just run it back to the battery. I have my USB port ziptied to frame and have a heat-resistant battery tap that goes back to the battery

Attached Files:

Mayakovski likes this.
  3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

If you want constant power, then direct to the battery. It has a fuse so it is protected. If you want switched power (power only when key is on) take a look at the schematic for a V7. It should be close enough. Another method is a fuse connection to a fuse that only has power on with the key on. Just takes a probe of voltmeter to find out which ones. Connect the fuse jumper to the live side of the fuse connection. something like this. https://www.autozone.com/electrical...d-accessories/bussmann-atm-fuse-tap/32416_0_0

Mayakovski and Andrew Joy like this.
  4. Mayakovski

Perfect, thanks for the answers, I was hoping it was that easy. The unit has an on/off switch itself so I should be good to go. :)

5. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Or, search the GPS plug here, and get a mate to it for keyed plug and play power.

Mayakovski likes this.
  6. Mayakovski

From reading other discussions here on this forum it seems there is no GPS plug on the V7 III.

7. Mayakovski

What is the best way to connect to the battery, I have not done such wiring before and am unsure how to proceed?

8. dududuckling

dududuckling Cruisin' Guzzisti

I have a cellphone mount on the handlebar (Quadlock). My battery has a SAE cable connected (in case I want to plug it to battery tender).

I bought a $10 motorcycle USB charger with SAE connector and SAE extension cable, that gets connected to the battery SAE if needed. Any other time, they get unplugged and capped since USB charger draws power even when not in use. From there, I connect it to the iPhone via a 6” iPhone cable. I run the cable extension under the gas tank, nicely hidden.

The SAE cables are plugged since I ride in the rain. The top SAE cable belongs to the USB charger. The bottom SAE cable is directly hooked to the battery. I connect them if I want to charge the phone, otherwise leave them unhooked.

Attached Files:

9. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Disconnect the negative leads, then the positive leads. Connect the new cable for the USB to the positive side of the battery with the original leads then connect the new negative lead and the originals to the negative post of the battery. This would also be a good time to add the SAE connector as above.

Mayakovski likes this.
  10. Mayakovski

Perfect info folks;

I ordered an adapter from Amazon that will work perfect, quick disconnect and everything for $15.00. Linked below if anyone else is looking for this kind of item.

Quick disconnect SAE to battery USB connector.
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01DYE54LI/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item

And this is the phone holder/charger.
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07R59Z3HX/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_2

I'll add some pictures once I have the pieces installed.

AHAHAHAHAHA, just realized I do not need a phone holder with a charger built in since the adapter will charge direct from the USB port. Ah well, it's all good.

Love this forum, you are all awesome.
    Maya

11. dududuckling

dududuckling Cruisin' Guzzisti

Awesome! From my personal experience, just don't forget to unplug the charger SAE cable from the battery SAE cable and cap them when not in use. I had my first dead battery from that even though the USB charger was not drawing much power. I have used Quadlock for cellphone mount for the past year and a half. Its pricey, but the phone can be installed/uninstalled with one hand and gloves on, stay put on the freeway, and the mount has not moved since and low profile without the phone on it. Worth checking it out too, but whichever works. :)

Mayakovski likes this.
  12. Kubbie

Kubbie Tuned and Synch'ed

I ended up using an SAE plug wired into the GPS wires along with a Powerlet USB plug on my Griso.

On my VTX I used the mount/power plug mentioned in the first post. It is wired straight to the battery, mainly because I didn't feel like digging for the starter solenoid (where I normally hard wire stuff). The mount has a switch so I can just turn it off.

13. V7 Dreaming

V7 Dreaming Tuned and Synch'ed

I bought this connector.

[​IMG]

And this usb port.
    [​IMG]

I soldered their wire together and got usb port same as Guzzi oem part that sell for $$$.
    Connect it to exist 2 pin connector under seat.
    You will get usb port which turn off when you switch off the bike.

209548.jpg

avlis and Mayakovski like this.
  14. Mayakovski

Nice but would not work for a V7 III as they do not have the GPS port on them.

15. V7 Dreaming

Mine is V7iii.
    There is power source connector under seat.
    Guzzi made this for OEM usb port which is the same method as I did but more expensive.

209553.jpg

16. misterwes31

misterwes31 Just got it firing!

I have absolutely no idea what i'm doing and i don't understand the schematics.. please bear that in mind. :)

What are those parts called and you're saying if i get those two things and solder them together, there's a place to plug it in below the seat?

(i would check it myself before posting but my bike is in the shop)

17. V7 Dreaming

Yes. There is power source connector for "USB CONNECTION KIT 2S000983" under seat.
    All I did is only copy design of factory accessory and make it cheaper.

Here is picture of 2S000983.
    s-l500.jpg

18. grame

grame Tuned and Synch'ed

19. Mayakovski