• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How To Recover The 5 Digit Security Code

"insert key 1 blah blah blah then insert key 2"
yes, turn off, take key 1 out, insert key 2 and switch on.
You have to do that within a few seconds so the second key be programmed

Hey! I joined this site some time ago, but I have only just now acquired my first MG, a 2016 Eldorado 1400. I would like to change the user code, but it appears that the present code is unknown to me, or hopefully I am just doing something wrong. A slip of paper is taped to the back of the owner manual that states "STOCK # C00168", and those digits are indeed the last five of the VIN. However, when I enter that as the old code, I get returned to the menu, which seems to indicate no match. I have two keys that I think are independently registered to the dash, but after inserting each of them, I see no option to recover the code. Could anyone kindly suggest what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Hey! I joined this site some time ago, but I have only just now acquired my first MG, a 2016 Eldorado 1400. I would like to change the user code, but it appears that the present code is unknown to me, or hopefully I am just doing something wrong. A slip of paper is taped to the back of the owner manual that states "STOCK # C00168", and those digits are indeed the last five of the VIN. However, when I enter that as the old code, I get returned to the menu, which seems to indicate no match. I have two keys that I think are independently registered to the dash, but after inserting each of them, I see no option to recover the code. Could anyone kindly suggest what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance!
Welcome.

I will help you but Please, don’t be helpless. People do that here all the time and especially with this topic.

You absolutely MUST —> SEARCH and READ to understand this issue. There is no 5 second answer to give you.

Read posts 10, 16, 54 in this topic right here. Then you will understand how the dash and keys work.

If after SEARCHing and READING, you are still confused, questions are great and easier because you will be familiar with the topic.

Everything you want to know is here but you must read and not expect people to spoon feed you.

Did you read the complete explanation of what constitutes a unique key and how you need 2 unique transponder coded keys to recover the user code?

If you had read it, you would know your answer.

So, again, please read first. Questions after you read.

I have created a subset of the service manual pages which pertain to Code Recovery.

You need to read that FIRST.

OK, post back if you get stuck.

Good Luck 🍀

Attachments

• Pages from California1400-SM(1).pdf
    143.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Welcome.

I will help you but Please, don’t be helpless. People do that here all the time and especially with this topic.

You absolutely MUST —> SEARCH and READ to understand this issue. There is no 5 second answer to give you.

Read posts 10, 16, 54 in this topic right here. Then you will understand how the dash and keys work.

If after SEARCHing and READING, you are still confused, questions are great and easier because you will be familiar with the topic.

Everything you want to know is here but you must read and not expect people to spoon feed you.

Did you read the complete explanation of what constitutes a unique key and how you need 2 unique transponder coded keys to recover the user code?

If you had read it, you would know your answer.

So, again, please read first. Questions after you read.

I have created a subset of the service manual pages which pertain to Code Recovery.

You need to read that FIRST.

OK, post back if you get stuck.

Good Luck 🍀
Thanks. Unlike the Use-Maintenance Book that I have, the Service Manual includes instructions on code restoration. It states that you must connect some kind of diagnosis tool. However, I just discovered that the Service Mode alone allows for code restoration. Indeed, I had read this entire thread before posting, and if that was mentioned, I missed it. Once I found that option under Service Mode, the two-key procedure worked just fine. So apparently in my case, the last five of the VIN were once used but had since been overwritten. I am very happy to have solved this.

Last edited:
Well, I finally got around to checking my new-to-me (sort of) ‘17 Cali Touring, and the code had never been entered. I entered a code and have both original keys. Feeling pretty damned fortunate right about now… I did tell my wife the coarse and wrote it inside the back cover of the owner’s manual just in case. Now if I could only find a rear trunk rack!

EXCELLENT! My compliments at your forethought and wisdom.
Ha! It wasn't either of those things; it was plain ole' dumb luck on my part. If the PO or dealer had entered the code already I'd be in the same shape as everyone else without the code. Now I need to get a couple more keys and get them mated up to the bike.

And I thought Mercedes keys were a PITA.
Now after reading some (not all) of the posts in this thread I need some snuggle time with my Guzzi keys and my dashboard. Mine asks for user code which is written inside my owners manual but since I’m only on day 5 of ownership I’m still in the ooooing and aaaaahing stage. My bike came with three keys and I don’t know if they are clones or threes. Time will tell.
But I’m reading and learning.

Guys, it’s not Moto Guzzi’s fault and it has absolutely nothing to do with them not purchasing software or rights or any of that BS.

It has to do with precisely the same crap that pops up here all the time.

Any idiot who fancies themselves a qualified ECU modifier and programmer, gets software off the internet which allows them to do stuff they have no idea what they are doing and allows them to really FU their motorcycle. When it happens, they come crying here to help them please! Why do they do this? BECAUSE THEY CAN! (My Nonna once told me that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should!)

Moto Guzzi provides a theft deterrent system (immobilizer) that cannot be defeated by any known piece of software, including an unscrupulous dealer or a person who “acquired” or cloned a dealer computer PADS or NAVIGATOR. You know this would happen in 2 seconds flat if it were possible! Absolutely without question.

So they designed it to be unable to be cracked in the field.

However, Carmo is very smart and they know how to open the dash and connect directly to the nonvolatile memory chip that stores the code, and read it directly.

Sure, you can unplug the dash and get the bike to start but nothing works without the dash connected. No turn signals, no brake lights, no instruments, and as far as selling a stolen motorcycle with a locked dash, forget it. It has little value.

THE PITFALL IS: You can have 100 cloned keys but if that key for whatever reason, gets deleted or corrupted in the immobilizer, then you have 100 identical dead keys and are completely SOL!

To protect you, Moto Guzzi admonishes you SEVERAL TIMES, IN SEVERAL PLACES, to WRITE DOWN AND RECORD THE CODE!

They also instruct you to program AT LEAST 2 different keys to the dash immobilizer and even provide the motorcycle owner the ability to program 4 DIFFERENT KEYS right from the motorcycle itself!

With 2 different keys, you can FORCE A RESET OF THE USER CODE right on the dash on the motorcycle.

Come on, stop bashing Moto Guzzi and put the blame exactly where it belongs, squarely on the shoulders of stupid, lazy, owners who are too busy or fancy themselves too intelligent to READ THE OWNERS MANUAL which explains it in detail, and who also fail to insist upon a proper PDI setup from their dealer so long as they bought the bike cheaper from Dealer X and screwed out their local dealer of some well deserved profit. Lastly, they don't take it upon themselves to ensure that this does not happen to themselves ever!

This is why this happens time and again.

Every used Moto Guzzi I have bought came with an Original Owners Manual, that clearly had never had a page turned open in it ever. This is the truth! (My GIANT pet peeve here is people who ask stupid questions that are covered in detail in the manuals, both owners and service, because they are simply TOO DAMN LAZY to read for themselves and instead want to be spoon-fed everything. Sometimes I think they want us to "peel grapes for them" and feed them to them while they recline on a sofa.) :mad:

So, if you haven’t done so, WRITE YOUR USER CODE DOWN SOMEPLACE. Program 3 or I strongly recommend 4 different transponder keys to the immobilizer, and sit back and smile knowing that you will never have this issue. :)

UNFORTUNATELY, SOME OF YOU WITH MODERN MOTO GUZZI MOTORCYCLES WITH THIS IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM WILL JUST BLOW THIS OFF.

I already have the 3 extra blank keys to program and cut the very second I get my dash back from Carmo (giving me a complete set of 4 different transponder keys).

KUDOS TO CARMO. They have been amazingly professional by the way.
I know that your post is years old but its kind of harsh. I am dealing with this exact issue and its not because I was irresponsible. I bought a 2016 Audace totaled out with no keys few years back and never figured it out to this day. I have never been able to ride this bike that only has 1200 miles on it. Not everyone who has issues with the keys and security system is irresponsible and like me just looking for friendly help.

I know that your post is years old but its kind of harsh. I am dealing with this exact issue and its not because I was irresponsible. I bought a 2016 Audace totaled out with no keys few years back and never figured it out to this day. I have never been able to ride this bike that only has 1200 miles on it. Not everyone who has issues with the keys and security system is irresponsible and like me just looking for friendly help.
Get in touch with Carmo in the Netherlands. carmo-electronics.com You can send them your dash and they'll reprogram it with keys.

lol.....I already hit em up after reading through the posts, thanks! Wouldn't it be less money to replace the dash and tumber with new keys? Maybe faster as well? Is it possible to disable and do away with the entire security system all together?

Or…you can find a working dash with a known code or no code and pair it with the bike and you’re off and running.

Hello,

No it’s not “harsh”. It’s honest and I absolutely refuse to candy coat these things. There were tons of posts where people wanted to argue or complain or cry, but I cannot make the facts, something other than what they truly are!

Your situation is entirely different and my post does nothing to speak to people like you who buy something, not fully understanding what they bought.

It is directed at people who knew their motorcycle had integrated security but choose to ignore it and/or to not read the OWNERS MANUAL and not understand fully how the system worked.

In truth, I think what you attribute to me as “ “harsh” is your own conscience pricking itself because you obviously did not understand at all what you were buying when you purchased “salvage”.

I’m sorry you made this terrible mistake. I can only assume you only saw the price. Caveat emptor.

To answer your inquiry further, there is no way to remove the security feature. It is integrated into the ECU.

Until you can get any key to rotate in your ignition tumbler, you cannot even see if the default User Code is in the ECU. If it is, then you can program a new key to the dash. If it has been changed, Carmo is your only option.

I suggest you contact GTM in the STORE!

GTM sells a replacement tumbler and keys set.

If the User Code is the default, then you would be able to register those new keys to your dash and you’re right like rain. If not, Carmo can go to the circuit board and read the programmed user code for you.

So in closing my friend, you received nothing but “friendly help” here. Show a little gratitude and class please.

You got here for free, found my post, and gleaned absolutely accurate information which explains precisely how the whole thing works in detail. Also, I responded very quickly to you with even more additional information. Hmm.

You are welcome…

Last edited:
Hello,

No it’s not “harsh”. It’s honest and I absolutely refuse to candy coat these things. There were tons of posts where people wanted to argue or complain or cry, but I cannot make the facts, something other than what they truly are!

Your situation is entirely different and my post does nothing to speak to people like you who buy something, not fully understanding what they bought.

It is directed at people who knew their motorcycle had integrated security but choose to ignore it and/or to not read the OWNERS MANUAL and not understand fully how the system worked.

In truth, I think what you attribute to me as “ “harsh” is your own conscience pricking itself because you obviously did not understand at all what you were buying when you purchased “salvage”.

I’m sorry you made this terrible mistake. I can only assume you only saw the price. Caveat emptor.

To answer your inquiry further, there is no way to remove the security feature. It is integrated into the ECU.

Until you can get any key to rotate in your ignition tumbler, you cannot even see if the default User Code is in the ECU. If it is, then you can program a new key to the dash. If it has been changed, Carmo is your only option.

I suggest you contact AF1 in Austin. They sell a replacement tumbler and keys set. If the User Code is the default, then you would be able to register those new keys to your dash and you’re right like rain. If not, Carmo can go to the circuit board and read the programmed user code for you.

So in closing my friend, you received nothing but “friendly help” here. Show a little gratitude and class please.

You got here for free, found my post, and gleaned absolutely accurate information which explains precisely how the whole thing works in detail. Also, I responded very quickly to you with even more additional information. Hmm.

You are welcome…
Scott, I don't mean to tick you off or anything...God knows you've helped me and others many, many times with your factual and timely advice (Do you ever SLEEP?), but I do have a simple request, since this seems to happen so often. Is there any way you or some other computer-savvy person here could just start a thread called "Best of Scottmastronique" so I can read them any time I need to burst out laughing? I tell you, this latest one made me blow my beer out through my nose.

Oh Shit! I did it again…

Sorry GTM! MY BAD!!!

I didn’t think that was a new OEM part. It’s often times extremely hard to tell.

No offense meant! Damn…. I edited it to make that little nasty go away. Edit yours too and it will disappear!

TO ANYBODY READING THIS…GTM CAN GET ANY MOTO GUZZI OEM PART FOR YOU.

COMMON COURTESY WOULD INDICATE TO CHECK WITH GTM FIRST!

Support the man who supports us!

Last edited:
Well, I did not have the old USER code so I read the user/maintenance book and posts 10,16 and 54. Inserted first key, turned on, applied service code 34534 for Cal 14, went to recovery, it read 1st key and requested 2nd, turned off and immediately inserted 2nd key to on, it asked for NEW code that I supplied, turned key off, and presto, I now have a new easy to remember USER code imbedded in the dash and written in the maintenance and warranty booklets and on the bike itself. Hope this helps and CHEERS to all.
SKIP

Back