Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

How to replace speedo drive v65?

Discussion in 'Small Block' started by Auris, May 25, 2016.

1. Auris

Auris Tuned and Synch'ed

My second speedo drive failed after a meachanic put in the new one (http://www.tlm.nl/webshop/en/speedo-drive-gear-set-v35-v65-617625300000-moto-guzzi). I've just received another one from my MG parts dealer (for free) and I'm thinking that this time I could do it myself. My question, is it possible to replace it with the bike on the stand and without removing the front wheel?
    My idea is to partly slide the axle out in a way that it still holds the wheel and one side of the front fork. Has anyone done that? Is it possible? Also, in order to release the axle, do I first unscrew the small hex screws and then the big nut, or the other way around?

2. aussiedave

aussiedave Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi , sometimes the long way is the quickest. You may have to move the wheel out at least half way...
    Just make sure when all is in place and also when tightened up that the speedo drive tab washer is in the correct place and is not binding when you turn the wheel by hand. There should be a little free play . Those speedo drives are minimalist at best , but many go for years and years.
    Dave

3. Auris

Auris Tuned and Synch'ed

So here is an update. I did change the speedo drive successfully. Like I thought it was not necessary to remove the front wheel. I put the bike on the center stand and and slipped a wooden box under the engine sump in order to avoid the bike tipping over to the front. I unscrewed all the necessary bolts and slid the axle partially out, only as much so I could insert the speedo drive. I positioned the speedo drive into it's place and carefully slid the axle back. From then on it was a 2 min job to tighten all the bolts again. It was a surprisingly easy and quick job.