• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How worried should I be about this oil leak?

robbie55

Just got it firing!
Found this oil leak yesterday after having to sit in traffic for a long period where I could feel the engine getting quite hot.

I have no idea about these things and just wanted to get an idea of how worried I should be before I head down to the mechanic.

Please see photo

Attachments

• oil.JPG
    oil.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 573
I'm deeply impressed that you still have that rubber cover over the head bolts! They usually disappears into nothing within a month.. :side:

The EFI smallblock are hot, from time to time VERY hot. As said here before can I measure oil temps exceeding 140*C after fast rides summertime. But no harm yet, not even after idling over long time in Italian city queues.
I cannot see any oil on the pic, there may be a little oil aerosoled over the head?
Really, I don't know if the smallblocks need a re-torquing at the first service, but I think they do. It's depending on what sort of seals used at the assembly.
Besides that I wouldn't worry much.

I'd be terrified. :mrgreen:

Keep an eye on the head, if it really starts to sweat it should be checked, of course.
And if you're worried about loosing oil, go get a sumpspacer from Ed Milich. It'll add another quart to the sump.

Also; a similar thread here: https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/188/4176.html

The small blocks indeed does needs a Re-Torquing of the the head bolts at the first service unlike the Big Blocks.

Well spotted, the photo is actually not of my bike. I did the post at work and just found an image on the net to put up because I couldn't describe it any other way.

Mine is an 03 model with 34000k's on the clock. There is only a small amount of oil that has come out though. I also did about a 10k ride today and no more oil has surfaced. Still be keen to know if there if this is symptom of a greater problem down the track.

H Robbie,

I just got my Nevada back from the shop for the exact same problem. My right cylinder rejected the rubber plug from the head and oil would bubble out from the hex bolt. We took it to the Guzzi shop and they replaced the head gasket and welded closed some porus metal in the cylinder head. It still leaked. They had to replace the entire cylinder head and told us it would need to be torqued after 500 miles. I feel like my bike got a bit of power back after the repair so I may have been losing some compression? Don't know for sure. I would reccommend you have it checked out. Just my experience.

Bobcat

Bobcat said:
H Robbie,

I just got my Nevada back from the shop for the exact same problem. My right cylinder rejected the rubber plug from the head and oil would bubble out from the hex bolt. We took it to the Guzzi shop and they replaced the head gasket and welded closed some porus metal in the cylinder head. It still leaked. They had to replace the entire cylinder head and told us it would need to be torqued after 500 miles. I feel like my bike got a bit of power back after the repair so I may have been losing some compression? Don't know for sure. I would reccommend you have it checked out. Just my experience.

Bobcat

Interesting. There is perhaps a batch of heads with a defect in the casting?

Mine is a 2008 with barely 4500 miles on it. Strange thing to crop up however it seems to be fixed. (fingers crossed).

Back