Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Husband, wife seriously hurt in motorcycle crash

Discussion in '24-7 Lounge' started by Goodvibes, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Goodvibes

Goodvibes Cruisin' Guzzisti

http://www.wesh.com/news/central-fl...sh/-/17565894/17607554/-/i9ac87z/-/index.html

I almost made this trip to Cedar Key with the group from Wellington FL . . . I hope we all will learn defensive maneuvers to avoid a tragic situation as this. What can we do with a driver who insists on passing a line of 15 bikes, the lead who is about to turn left into the oncoming car's path? The husband lost a leg below the knee, but both are alive.

Be extra, extra careful out there riders!

2. Rafael

Rafael GT Reference

Hope they recover quickly.

I not sure there a defensive technique for this accident. I may take glance in my mirror before a left turn but the odds of seeing the car driver pulling a stunt like this is next to nothing considering the timing and the lack of visibility when a bike starts a turn. This was not the usual "I didn't see the motorcycle officer", the driver crossed over a double yellow line and disregarded the the brake lights and most likely the turn signals before him. This guy (car driver) belongs in jail for a good while. And if the double yellow does not meet the states regs, the state may have some liability as well.

The only defensive technique I can think of is to keep an eye on drivers that show signs of incompetence. I tend to stay away from them by speeding up or slowing down and taking into account a dozen other factors. If this car drivers behavior was signaling, I'm an idiot, and the pack of motorcycles passed him with out a 100% guaranteed get away. Then that's a lack of judgement. I catch myself once in a while doing something dumb and its just luck that something terrible didn't happen.

3. oceanluvr30

oceanluvr30 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

This is such a tragic accident that is hard to explain. After reading about this I found on another forum a referecne to a book, " Proficient Motorcycling" by Dave Hough which i picked up at the library. On page 14, he states, " before you pull around someone, [but this can apply to making a left turn as well] take a good look behind to ensure that someone else isn't in the process of zooming around you"

I know hindsight is 20/20 but i would think that this is a driving habit that we should all practice.

4. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I was not there and do not know all the facts of the crash. So I will avoid commenting on blame.
    But way back when I took the MSF course they did mention that you should check your left mirror when turning left in case someone was already passing you on your left. Not because it is right or wrong but because when you are on a motorcycle you always lose in an accident.
    The other things is that personally I won't ride in that large of a pack. It is too dangerous for my tastes. But that is just my opinion and clearly there are others who do not agree.
    It is sad what happened and I hope they recover fast and fully. No one deserves that, but it is a possible outcome every time you ride so you have to be careful. If you don't, who will?

5. Goodvibes

Goodvibes Cruisin' Guzzisti

Yep, check the mirrors always and never assume others see or respect you. Intersections are the worst . . . .