Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Hydraulic Valves - 2 questions

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by Walt, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Walt

Walt Just got it firing!

1 - Which years/models have hydraulic valve adjusters? Has Guzzi gone away from them?

2 - How well do they work?

I'm considering purchasing a new or a slightly used Guzzi. And, it's been difficult getting opinions on how well hydraulic valves perform compared with standard valves. I've heard mostly negative, but would appreciate your input.

2. Cam3512

Cam3512 Tuned and Synch'ed

Hydros were 2003-2004

If the latest cam recall was performed, they're fantastic.

3. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

In the U.S.? Some late model '02's had hydraulic lifters; some Aluminum & EV's (and a few Stones), but basically all '03+ Cali's. The new '06+ Cal Vintage does not have them, nor does any current model.

They went through 2 recalls. The final recall has most motoring happily along, or we've heard very little about them being problematic. Perhaps more will comment.

If I (personally) had a choice, I'd buy a non-hyrda motor, but again, many hydra's running along just fine out there. What model(s) are you looking at?

4. Walt

Walt Just got it firing!

I prefer a 'Titanium' or other late model Tonti frame. I won't move on one until I understand the valve situation better. What's the valve maintenance on them? and other such questions

5. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

OK, well all Titanium's are hydra... and hydraulic lifters mean *no* valve adjustment/maintenance. Just basic periodic TPS check and throttle body balance.

6. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

The final *fix* for the Hydro Cam issue works well. To see if it has been performed pop a valve cover off and look at the tops of the rockers above the pushrods. If there is a locknut with what looks like a broken off bit on the top then the recall has been done. The valve spring retaining caps should also be shiny aluminium not a dull brown colour.

The only real issue with the hydro bikes is if the recall was carried out BEFORE the followers had a chance to fail. Why is this so important? Well, unfortunately when the recall was announced and instructions sent out on how to perform it the factory never TOLD people to inspect the oil pump. Now the oil pump is the ONLY bit of the engine that gets un-filtered oil and if it has had great chunks of buggered lifter and cam lobe going through it it will be horribly damaged. Because the hydros use a really low viscosity oil to enable quick flow to the lifters on start-up any damage to the pump translates to very low oil pressure once the engine is warm with predictable results. Checking the pump only requires the removal of four more bolts and it SHOULD occur to any half way decent mechanic that this will need checking whether the factory tells them to or not. On all of the Hydros I did the recall on that had suffered a cam failure every single one needed a new oil pump so I'd slap in a warrannty claim. After I sent pics of the first munted one to the importer they never queried it again!

People worry about the longevity of the Hydro motor, I dunno why? I had a Titanium in a couple of weeks ago that had just clocked up 160,000Km. The owner had done all his oil changes and filters plus brake pads etc. apart from that NOTHING was touched. It had a PCIII on it so I got it dyno tuned, replaced the UJ boot which had a tear in it, put some new shocks on it and changed the fork oil, (First time that had been done!) and checked everything else out and it was tickety-boo and ready to roll, didn't even need to re-tension the spokes!

Some of the Hydros also had a single plate clutch SOME of which wore rapidly and some of them also had a problem with the fuel hose in the tank blowing off the pump. That is easily fixed by using a decent piece of fully submersible hose (Gates make a hose, the number on the bag says 27093, 4219-5184 1EA/F Not sure which one is the product code.) Finally one batch of lower triple clamps were recalled due to cracking, check the Vin# with a reputable dealer.

Apart from that? The Hydros are LOVELY. If I was a Cali sort of person I'd have a Hydro over any of the others. Prefferably an EV with tubeless wheels and all the bling. The motor is the one they SHOULD of put in the Norge!!!!

Pete

7. Walt

Walt Just got it firing!

Thanks Pete, great to hear from someone who knows this issue!

8. Walt

Walt Just got it firing!

GT - I'm most interested in non-Hydra's, which late model Tonti frames don't have Hydra's? Thanks!

9. krglorioso

krglorioso Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks, Pete and others. I am growing more confident re the reliability of my '04 Stone Touring every day. I did buy a complete set of recall parts from a dealer on e-bay ($81+ post) just to have some spares, which I hope are never needed.

10. Greg Field

Greg Field Cruisin' Guzzisti

If updated, there's nothing wrong with the hydros. They actually run more civilized than any of the others and require less maintenance. If I had one, I'd get a spare cam update kit to rat-hole, as they're a great value and have everything you'd need in case the worst happened. I'd also get the hydro tool kit.