• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I Love my Stelvio - But! ...

nomad

Tuned and Synch'ed
after just waiting 7 weeks for a new set of tyres after only 5600 kilometers and with the bike being off the road for nearly 6 weeks after the cam problem and of course my starter motor remaining engaged shearing the arm and blowing all the fuses on my way to the ferry last October I finally thought I was done with the hassel but no I have notices two small but annoying problem which I think could have been avoided if the build quality control was up to the markkkk!! see for yourself, I just hope MG replace the parts without much fuss.

st01.jpg

st02.jpg

st03.jpg

st04.jpg

Hi Gang

Bloody hell Nomad go get that warrenty claim in ASAP.
Both faults should be covered.

That is not the first tank to bubble up like that, if my memory serves theirs was replaced no probs:)
But I have not seen a gator perish before:(

Loftyjohn

BUGGER, that is frustrating!

The tank should indeed be a no hassle claim, as it is also my recollection that the last one reported here was replaced, and I would have thought that the gaitor is a shoe in for the same treatment.

None of that helps with the hassle factor though :(

That tank cover looks EXACTLY like what mine did.

There is a tipover valve built into the tank cap. If that seals and the tank pressurizes, you can get a leak under that cap where you don't see it. That creates a puddle of gas hidden under the cap on the paint. After it sits there a few days, it eats the paint.

Have them fix/replace/or remove the tipover valve.

One of the joys with Guzzi is that you get to do the final QC and install yourself ... or the dealer...

Who make the Stelvio tank? I've never been exactly dextrous with fuel snouts (or rather, it's the self-enrolling hoses that I often wrestle with resulting in splashing :S), but from what I can see of my tank under the Bagster tank protector, there's no damage to my paint!

What seal is that, btw?

nomad said:
after just waiting 7 weeks for a new set of tyres after only 5600 kilometers and with the bike being off the road for nearly 6 weeks after the cam problem and of course my starter motor remaining engaged shearing the arm and blowing all the fuses on my way to the ferry last October I finally thought I was done with the hassel but no I have notices two small but annoying problem which I think could have been avoided if the build quality control was up to the markkkk!! see for yourself, I just hope MG replace the parts without much fuss.

Your pictures could have been taken of my Stelvio today. I just noticed exactly the same thing! I will be taking my bike to my dealer to put in a warranty claim as well.

Bruce

I had the same bubbling problem (see pic) in July 2009. The dealer here is Sacramento replaced the tank covers, no hassles. I'm not sure if they replaced the tipover. Doubt it. Now I'll have to check my rubber boot too.

Attachments

• IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,404
With the boot between the swingarm and back of the gearbox I think they must of had a dud batch. Brett's Stelvio has the same problem but my Grisos have both been fine. Good news is that with a Stelvio replacing it is a lot easier than on any of the other CARC bikes, (Except the Bellagio, maybe.) because the Stelvio doesn't have a 'Pork Chop' over the swingarm spindle so I imagine it would simply be;

Bike on centrestand. Wheel and brake off. CARC off. Disconnect shock/linkage. Pull spindle and withdraw swingarm. Then the boot can be slid off over the shaft and the new pne slipped on and the whole lot ressembled. Probably not more than an hour or so's work AND you can pack the swingarm bearings and shock linkage bearings properly at the same time. Bonus!!!!

Pete

My CV boot's gone too - at about 4500 miles. It's being replaced with no hassle by my local dealer next week, along with a new rear tyre. Other problems: I'm on my 4th fuel sensor and my 2nd dashboard (hence the approx mileage!). I get about 36-38mpg (UK gallons).

But it's Italian, and it's beyond beautiful, and best of all it's NOT A BMW!

Love the bike but hate.................

1. Working on my 3rd set of mirrors, the vibration or thumping thru the bars loosens up the joints in the mirror and they will be pointing at the ground within 5 miles or the glass vibrates out of the mirror. There is no isolation to keep this from happening. I need another set and Guzzi is hedging at replacing another set, they need to develop a fix :shock: :shock:

2. Junk rear shock, it is completely worn out, I've have ground off the feet on the center stand once and had new feet welded back on. No one makes a proven replacement shock and again...........Moma Guzzi will not replace under warranty, they claim it's a normal wear part. The shock wore out at 5K miles, I now have 12K miles on the bike and the right hand center stand foot is missing, the left one is not far behind, back to the welding shop. My guess is all Italians weigh less than 150 pounds and they don't carry luggage on this adventure touring bike that according to Guzzi is supposed to go anywhere.

And lastly.....

3. We need the NTX rear wheel available in the US. But I'm working on a fix / replacement at this time it's just going to cost way too much, should have purchased a German GS.........I'm sorry, shouldn't have said that but I am really getting frustrated with Guzzi and their lack of customer service and their basic lack of listening to their customer base.

Aren't we the customer the ones keeping them in business? OR, am I mistaken and fallen and bumped my head and not thinking straight again. :blink: :blink: :S :S :pinch: :pinch:

wow, that surprises me Kurt. I'm sure you all remember my follies from last summer. I've had no mirror issues. As for the rear shock, I have always thought it was slightly underqualified, but have made it work acceptably by playing with the settings for a given load... from solo to two up and with loaded bags and tankbag. Everything I come up with has been a compromise,but it has done the job. I haven't grounded anything on the bike and have been reluctant to lean it farther than I do because there isn't much of a chicken strip on the tires. To the point that a couple of observers have commented that I lean it over pretty far. I had mentioned previously on this forum that I found the back end wallowed a bit in bumpy corners when riding solo.
After my bike having slept for 5 months this winter, when I got it out of bed about a week ago it fired up 1st time and has been running perfectly for about 250-300km. What did happen with it is the glove box quit opening and after the bike sitting over night I noticed the paint bubbling on the tank cover around the filler ... again. This was replaced under warranty at the end of last summer once already. I will have to look at the tipover valve Wayne. I didn't see a Valve in the parts breakdown as a separate part. Could be I didn't look hard enough. Dealer here has been good since I got pissed with them last year, and even though they are no longer the Importer for Piaggio up here ( there isn't one at present and doesn't look like there will be anytime soon) they say they will honour balance of warranty since I bought from them. Hopefully I won't have to find out how that plays out with anything major.
Couldn't trade it for a BMW , no way I would listen to the ' I told you so ' chorus. ( and I just don't find 'em interesting). Still love the bike despite the bullshit. :ugeek:
FBC

FrostBittenCanadian said:
wow, that surprises me Kurt. I'm sure you all remember my follies from last summer. I've had no mirror issues. As for the rear shock, I have always thought it was slightly underqualified, but have made it work acceptably by playing with the settings for a given load... from solo to two up and with loaded bags and tankbag. Everything I come up with has been a compromise,but it has done the job. I haven't grounded anything on the bike and have been reluctant to lean it farther than I do because there isn't much of a chicken strip on the tires. To the point that a couple of observers have commented that I lean it over pretty far. I had mentioned previously on this forum that I found the back end wallowed a bit in bumpy corners when riding solo.
After my bike having slept for 5 months this winter, when I got it out of bed about a week ago it fired up 1st time and has been running perfectly for about 250-300km. What did happen with it is the glove box quit opening and after the bike sitting over night I noticed the paint bubbling on the tank cover around the filler ... again. This was replaced under warranty at the end of last summer once already. I will have to look at the tipover valve Wayne. I didn't see a Valve in the parts breakdown as a separate part. Could be I didn't look hard enough. Dealer here has been good since I got pissed with them last year, and even though they are no longer the Importer for Piaggio up here ( there isn't one at present and doesn't look like there will be anytime soon) they say they will honour balance of warranty since I bought from them. Hopefully I won't have to find out how that plays out with anything major.

Frosty.......

I remember your problems well, you had a real time of it back during the riding season last year.

I believe the tip over valve is in the tanks filler neck (I could be wrong), I know on my Aprila Caponord there was actually a tip over valve in the vent line. They used to get stuck and pressurize the tank so bad they would push fuel out the cap.

I am just really at the end of my rope with this bike and the appearance of Guzzi, not my dealer not giving a rats a$$.
Couldn't trade it for a BMW , no way I would listen to the ' I told you so ' chorus. ( and I just don't find 'em interesting). Still love the bike despite the bullshit. :ugeek:
FBC

I know the feeling well Kurt. I'm sorry to here it. Up here in Can. I figure I'm f*&^%$ no matter what happens. There no longer is an importer and Piaggio and the previous importer are at each others legal throats. So I don't expect a quick resolution to the situation. The marginal dealers in my area are dropping off like flies. So far the dealer I bought from has been standing upright. I believe it is thanks to one guy there that truly loves Guzzis and Aprillias. Somehow to date, I have no knowledge of Guzzi themselves having jerked anyone around up here. I could be wrong.
How I believe I'm F^&*#@ is that with no import./ bugger all dealers, the value of a Guzzi is virtually 0.Unless of course you happen to find the guy thats just gotta have ' that one'. From what I have seen dealers here won't touch one with a pole as far as trade in goes. (actually asked around last year when my rope was getting short). They have actually become a rare commodity recently, there are only 9 Stelvios in Ontario, and the Guzzi dude at my dealer was hunting dealers in the country for Grisos to see if he could buy them back as he had customers for 5 but he can't get them from Piaggio. Only chance to sell one would be through the grapevine. I think we have rentered what has been known as the' Dark Ages' in Canada ( period of about 15 years when Guzzis weren't imported up here).
Because of this sit. I just ordered a VDST from Todd and created a paypal account as I think I'm going to need it.
Have you given any thought to installing a shock from Todd? I know it's an expense that would burn your ass might be worth a shot, if you want to keep it. Mine is now referred to as 'My Nemesis'.
Hope your fortunes improve.
FBC

hello to everyone,

i am writing from greece. i am an owner of a stelvio abs version. i used to be an owner of the first version of stelvio without the abs . i can see there are some improvements in ecu and some quality issues, but there is still a sum of problems.

the fuel sensor still plays games , but only if i leave my motorcycle in side stand for long. i think the sensor stacks if you leave it dry for long period. it needs the fuel to be in the highest level if its about to leave your bike for long untouched.

the problems i face now , are these:

the dashboard that gets some humidity in rain , or after an intense wash which i claimed already a warranty issue

and there is a problem that really annoys me more than anything....the spokes, yeah the spokes that are just galvanized and not inox, or stainless steel so as to avoid corrosion. At this point now after claiming a warranty issue, they have send the spoke set , but are the same galvanized. that means in 6 months will face again corrosion.

if someone knows any good stainless steel set of spokes...will be welcome....

regards to all ideologists

Greece, Rodos island
Stefano

FrostBittenCanadian said:
I know the feeling well Kurt. I'm sorry to here it. Up here in Can. I figure I'm f*&^%$ no matter what happens. There no longer is an importer and Piaggio and the previous importer are at each others legal throats. So I don't expect a quick resolution to the situation. The marginal dealers in my area are dropping off like flies. So far the dealer I bought from has been standing upright. I believe it is thanks to one guy there that truly loves Guzzis and Aprillias. Somehow to date, I have no knowledge of Guzzi themselves having jerked anyone around up here. I could be wrong.
How I believe I'm F^&*#@ is that with no import./ bugger all dealers, the value of a Guzzi is virtually 0.Unless of course you happen to find the guy thats just gotta have ' that one'. From what I have seen dealers here won't touch one with a pole as far as trade in goes. (actually asked around last year when my rope was getting short). They have actually become a rare commodity recently, there are only 9 Stelvios in Ontario, and the Guzzi dude at my dealer was hunting dealers in the country for Grisos to see if he could buy them back as he had customers for 5 but he can't get them from Piaggio. Only chance to sell one would be through the grapevine. I think we have rentered what has been known as the' Dark Ages' in Canada ( period of about 15 years when Guzzis weren't imported up here).
Because of this sit. I just ordered a VDST from Todd and created a paypal account as I think I'm going to need it.
Have you given any thought to installing a shock from Todd? I know it's an expense that would burn your ass might be worth a shot, if you want to keep it. Mine is now referred to as 'My Nemesis'.
Hope your fortunes improve.
FBC

Frosty.........

I am really attempting to be civil with Guzzi, but my Swedish temper is begining to boil. My wife is doing her best to keep me from traveling to NY to Guzzi headquarters and b*tch slapping someone in the office.

Lets review some known facts........

The M/C industry is in the tank, all manufactures have cut back, closed their doors or bellied up, as you put it "the dark ages are upon us in Canada".

Guzzi has trimed its fat, at least thats what they claim and now want to provided better service and sales to its present customers and future customers. Not responding to warranty claims is not winning over the present customer base. My dealer has gone above and beyond in my book, but does not get a response.

I have a wheel on order from Brian @ Corsa Italiana and Guzzi will not give him a date when it will be available, its been on order for 4 months. I have talked to Brian numerous times and a 4 minute phone call is $56.00 to Europe from the US. So its just not "us" over on the left side of the big pond that is getting boned, its all Guzzi customers.

You state your dealer needs 5 Griso's and can not get them from Guzzi, there are many in the US that the dealers can't give away (I claim its the riding position). Any one with money in the US is looking for a standard style bike (sit up right), we are older and have disposable income, we don't enjoy laying on top of the fuel tank. My dealer can't sell anything right now, he is dumping his stock on eBay at below cost pricing and still can't move them. He has a Stelvio left at either $2 or $3K less than what I paid for mine, which burns me to no end. But it is cheaper for him to dump the bikes than continue to pay floor planning, its the cost of doing business in this economy.

Guzzi is really doing nothing to help the remaining dealer base in the states, they run adds in M/C mags that are not main stream, no one knows they are around. I drop my wife at work in the same place every morning, there is a huge construction site across the street, at least three times a week I am stopped by one of the workers asking what brand of bike am I driving. When I tell them its a Guzzi they get a puzzled look and claim their father or grandfather had one 30 to 50 yrs ago but they thought Guzzi was out of business along time ago. When I tell them "no that's not true" then they want to know where the dealers are. These are the same fellows that attend the DC Internaional M/C Show every year that Guzzi doesn't attend.

You are correct about trade in values, no one will take a Guzzi, I too purchased a VDTS from Todd, now I need to become VDTS friendly. I really like Todd and he is attempting to solve a lot of issues for us, he really needs to run Guzzi USA / Canada then things would happen for the better. The reason I have not purchased a shock from Todd is that neither supplier that he is contracted with has manufactured a shock for a Stelvio, they are would actually be working off a hand made drawing, not a test mule. To do the job right they should really have a test mule (a Stelvio shock), take it apart to look at the valving, damping and spring rate, etc. I was going to ship my shock to one of the suppliers this past winter but my wife fell and broke her leg in the 1st big snow we had before Xmas and I was chief cook and bottle washer for the better part of 3 months, she couldn't do anything. Now the weather has warmed up and I am back on two wheels and really don't want to part with a shock for a couple months while the design / build process is taking place.

Kurt: Makes sense I wouldn't want to part with mine at this time of year either. Want to hear a good one... Importer/Dealer up here never went to the bike shows with Guzzis. Were convinced by someone to do one of them this year, took I believe 6 Guzzis with them and sold 5 in the 2 1/2 days of the show! Imagine how many would sell in the last 5 years ( I think it is 5 years they've been back in Canada). We have 3 manufacturer type shows in Toronto alone each year. Todd running Guzzi USA... His enthusiasm for the type would be a very good thing. Not having a delivery date for your wheel from Italy unfortunately doesn't surprise me, I have found this type of thing before , dealing with Italian manufacturers ( not motorcycle ). One thing that I have learned from working in Aviation for the past 2+ decades is that if you want support for a product, it better be American. Otherwise forget it. Unfortunate but true. You guys south of the Great Lakes can show the rest of the world how it's done.
FBC

For those of you on the west coast if you want to dip down over the border in June the US NAtional Guzzi Rally is on in Oregon. I'll be there and will have NAvigator with me and will be more than happy to walk you through its operation as far as I can. Using the caveat that I have had no training using it and have had to find out everything I have by experimentation I feel that I am at least competent in it's most basic uses.

One of the biggest problems I've found seems to be fear on the part of people using the tooling that if they do something wrong they can wipe the map off the computer or cost themselves thousands of dollars by screwing something up. Yes, You can wipe the map and cost yourself thousands but only if you are a.) a cretin and b.) ignore the warnings the tool gives you that you might be going to do something you might regret! :lol:

I'll quite happily run some sort of ad-hoc seminar for owners who fear that their own shops might have people who suffer from that syndrome. Then you can at least ask pertinent questions!

Note that I am NOT a 'Guru' or anything special. I'm just a fat bloke who works on the tools and has the factory tooling. I'm not going to wave a magic wand or recite some sort of arcane spell and make your bike perfect, (Good God! I wish I could do that to mine!) but I can probably help dispell a few myths about how all this new fangled crap is some sort of 'White Man Ju-Ju'. It's just another tool, but one that when you use it you don't get dirty or smelly!

Works for me!!!! :D

Pete

Back