• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I Love my Stelvio - But! ...

Eh, Pete? Your previous ramblings about the Green Slug got me a solid impression you considered her pretty perfect, anything wrong? :lol:

Always room for improvement.

When I'm in LA in June I hope to get some by working with Todd and the PCV/AT package on the Chat bike. Quite simply though the Green Horror is running very, very well and it's basically stock. I have nothing to complain about, it's just as I said in the first sentence, there is always room for improvement. omething lost on most people nowadays....

Pete

I hear you, but it also depends on what you're looking for. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is another something that's lost on some people ;)

Well, I guess that makes some other people's bread :silly:

Series4 said:
Although many seem to know the "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is..."

Alas, this is also very true. :roll: There seems to be a certain sort of obsessive *fiddler* who can't just leave well enough alone. Although I regularly plug in the diagnostics to the Green Horror I haven't actually had to adjust anything for over 20,000Km. Just get on it, press the button, watch the horizon come towards me. Fuel ecconomy is OK, (if I'm sensible!) it'll pull from sub-3,000RPM with no glitches or hiccups although if you use more than a whiff of throttle at those speeds you can hear it hammering the drivetrain so usually I ride it slightly higher in the rev-range in a lower gear if I'm having to go slowly. Any of my other Guzzis apart from the 'Vert and my SP which has the ridiculously heavy Eldo flywheel in will do the same if I try to whack open the throttle at low RPM. It's just not something one should try and do with a big twin, especially one with a comparatively light flywheel and no driveline shock absorbtion to speak of.

I tend to think that quite a few people simply want their Guzzi to be 'Something Else' which of course it can't be. Ride it as it was designed to be ridden an if set up right 95% of them will work just fine without constant fiddling. As I've also said before, when was the last time you fiddled with the FI system on your car? Chances are the answer will be 'Never'. Why should your bike be any different??

Pete

Words of wisdom indeed mr Roper. I always enjoy your posts, I appreciate your knowledge and experience on these bikes.

Indeed, amen to that!

But then, who'd want to tinker "in-depth" with a modern car? They're either commodity items, boxes to get a job done, or (if they've got soul) they're so expensive you either think thrice, or you have money left to spend on a real expert ;)

Case in point: a local pal who installed Todd's stepper motor thingy, a K&N filter with Todd's airbox lid, and a module that tweeks the air temp and O2 sensor outputs. And Brisk plugs. He gained the possibility to burn a liter of fuel per 100km more and not have any popping, plus a ridiculously hard engine to get going when cold.

I just heard modern FI systems are set up such that if you cut the engine, there remains no or very little unburned fuel in the heads, one of the reasons oil changes can now be 10k km apart. If true, that seems another good reason not to tinker with them.

Wayne Orwig said:
Get the tipover valve removed or it will happen again.

Wayne, how do you go about removing this balky valve? I assume it is contained within the piece that projects down into the filler neck from the bottom of the gas cap. Is this correct? My dealer checked the schematics he had available from MG and could not find this part listed. Do you need to remove the screws under the gas cap to disassemble this part? :?:

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from Racer X provided I had the money. My dealings with him have always been very satisfactory.

BravoBravo said:
Wayne Orwig said:

Wayne, how do you go about removing this balky valve? I assume it is contained within the piece that projects down into the filler neck from the bottom of the gas cap. Is this correct? My dealer checked the schematics he had available from MG and could not find this part listed. Do you need to remove the screws under the gas cap to disassemble this part? :?:

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Is is in the gas cap itself, in the little housing off to the side. Take the four screws out and pull the gas cap and you will see it.

Wayne Orwig said:
BravoBravo said:
Wayne Orwig said:

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Is is in the gas cap itself, in the little housing off to the side. Take the four screws out and pull the gas cap and you will see it.

Thanks Wayne. That is exactly what I needed to know! :)

Cheers,

Bruce

My rear seal went last week with less than 3000 miles. Weird? Good news is the dealership is taking great care with it....but I want her back!!

Otherwise she is phenomenal, great, gorgeous, and an absolute joy to ride :D :) :cool:

Actually, not sure. They mentioned that they would have to remove the rear end/transmission and see what's going on! I will keep you all posted when I know more.

:lol: Actually, what we should end with is...."I love my Stelvio - But......it's still in the service dept" :lol:

BravoBravo said:

Thanks Wayne. That is exactly what I needed to know! :)

Cheers,

Bruce[/quote]

I took my Stelvio over to my dealer's after work today. The dealer is a buddy of mine as well, so he let me pull the Stelvio into the shop and we followed Wayne's suggestion. Took the gas cap assembly out and removed the housing for the tipover valve. We found a spring, a ball and a small washer-like thing. We figured since those are the moving parts, they must be the culprits, so we removed them and put the housing for the tipover valve back in place. Hopefully, that will solve the problem. I am still waiting for the replacement panel, so the final proof will be how well the paint stays in shape after installation of the new painted piece.

Thanks for the tip, Wayne.

Bruce

BravoBravo said:
Took the gas cap assembly out and removed the housing for the tipover valve. We found a spring, a ball and a small washer-like thing. We figured since those are the moving parts, they must be the culprits, so we removed them and put the housing for the tipover valve back in place. Hopefully, that will solve the problem. I am still waiting for the replacement panel, so the final proof will be how well the paint stays in shape after installation of the new painted piece.

Bruce

Hi Bruce
I was reading up on the bubbling paint around the gas cap ....... mine is doing it also!
Did removing the spring and bearing solve the problem?

DanPez said:
BravoBravo said:
Took the gas cap assembly out and removed the housing for the tipover valve. We found a spring, a ball and a small washer-like thing. We figured since those are the moving parts, they must be the culprits, so we removed them and put the housing for the tipover valve back in place. Hopefully, that will solve the problem. I am still waiting for the replacement panel, so the final proof will be how well the paint stays in shape after installation of the new painted piece.

Bruce

Hi Bruce
I was reading up on the bubbling paint around the gas cap ....... mine is doing it also!
Did removing the spring and bearing solve the problem?

Hi Dan. In the end, I took the entire unit out (red plastic housing) as there was still some gas pooling around below the cap. That seemed to do the trick. Once the entire tipover valve was taken out, no further problem.

Cheers,

Bruce

I had the same issue with the paint bubbling, Guzzi finally sent the piece after making a fuss about it. Also they said "we" only replace this once.

That said, I found a couple of issues that caused the problem:

1. The tip over valve (it sounds like you have this sorted out)
2. The hose coming from the overflow (hole under the cap on the left side of the bike) was more of a vacuum hose consistancy of hose and the fuel had gotten to it and melted the hose and caused it to kink. I replaced the hose from the tip over valve and the fuel over flow with 3/16" fuel line and this has solved the problem. I also removed the charcoal canister and all associated plumbing, bike runs a whole lot better without it. BTW, there is a one way valve (check valve) located between the TB's, mine was stuck closed, this is another reason the tip over valve didn't work properly.

My Aprilia Caponord had the same type of check valve and it was standard operating procedure to remove the valve and install a barbed fitting in its place so the fuel tank would not pressurize.

Back