• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I Love my Stelvio - But! ...

GT-Rx said:
I found out on Wednesday when I picked mine up, there had been only 38 total Stelvio sold in the US to date.

Congratulation Todd ...... they are great bikes.
Take it from an Italian.....in Canada :cool:

I gotta ask... I hear a number of people here and in other threads talking about the need for re-syncing the throttle bodies if you disconnect the charcoal canister from the ports in the intake manifolds and plug or connect the ports together (I plugged mine, but connecting them shouldn't hurt anything I wouldn't think). How and why is this? You talk of the need to re-sync the TB's because you have changed the amount of air going through them (and I suppose there maybe slightly less air/fuel going through the intake ports, though it should be less by the same amount on each side), but don't you unplug the canister lines from the ports to hook up whatever tool you are using to sync the TB's? I don't follow the "logic", if something is not connected when you balance the TB's, how does disconnecting it lead to a need to re-balance the TB's?
I have a Griso, so if there is something different about the set up on a Stelvio please forgive my ignorance. The feed from the canister on my Griso was one line that T'd and split evenly to each intake manifold using the ports that I use to balance the TB's.
What am I missing?

Having had my old man as a fuel injection mechanic and working with mechanical, electrical chemical engineers for over 30 years I have a tendency to think there is a reason why they designed it this way.
Like lots of designs there is always a way for improve things,

Once the engineers put everything on paper …. its time to assemble it. (This is where knowledge goes to the test !!!)
Throughout all this process there are errors that occur. (Were only human)

On my new Stelvio the check valve was installed backwards …. the gas fumes were not flowing towards the charcoal canister. With the tip-over valve and check valve still in line I won’t have to worry about suction in the gas tank either. (And keeping my emission control in tack)

When balancing the TBs all you are doing is making sure that the vacumm pressure is even on both sides ....
(Technically speaking you are changing the angle of the butterfly valve in the TBs)
Whether the canister is inline or not the balancing will stay the same because both TBs are tee together. The difference would be the amount of air (volume) going through the TBs that will slightly change.
For optimum tuning this is why (when removing the plumbing) remapping or at least verifying the bike response at different RPM maybe necessary.

I've got the can disconnected now. After doing that and re-sync'ing the TB's she runs noticeably smoother. Still, the biggest single improvement has been removing that one way valve....

After the changes I've noticed an improvement also.
When riding on the bike ..... and listening to the engine ....from 2000 to 4000 rpm its firing evenly (no more jerking) and keeping the revs over 4000 its pulling smoother with lots of power.

Love the bike!!!!! :)

I love everything about my Stelvio except for the fuel delivery. That is the one issue that I still haunts me. It's not as bad as it was when I first got the bike, but it's still there. I'd get the PCV-AT but I have the impression it is far beyond what I need. I'm not looking for more power; and I have the stock exhaust fitted. I would just like the engine to run better at steady throttle. If I can get that one issue straightened out, I'll be happy.

Why don't any of the reviews of this bike in the magazines ever highlight this fault? There seems to be a concensus here that all the bikes have this issue. A $15,000 motorcycle should not have such a basic problem; it's not like feul injection is a new thing. The press focuses on the lack of torque down low and the small gas tank. My bike has plenty of torque; and who cares if the gas tank is small. That's an easy problem to fix. What abouty the fuel delivery? That the one thing about the Stelvio I don't love....

guzziben47 said:
I love everything about my Stelvio except for the fuel delivery. That is the one issue that I still haunts me. It's not as bad as it was when I first got the bike, but it's still there. I'd get the PCV-AT but I have the impression it is far beyond what I need. I'm not looking for more power; and I have the stock exhaust fitted. I would just like the engine to run better at steady throttle. If I can get that one issue straightened out, I'll be happy.

Why don't any of the reviews of this bike in the magazines ever highlight this fault? There seems to be a concensus here that all the bikes have this issue. A $15,000 motorcycle should not have such a basic problem; it's not like feul injection is a new thing. The press focuses on the lack of torque down low and the small gas tank. My bike has plenty of torque; and who cares if the gas tank is small. That's an easy problem to fix. What abouty the fuel delivery? That the one thing about the Stelvio I don't love....

You can thank the Euro 3 & EPA regulations for the crappy running (way too lean) that is why the throttle response is twitchy. BTW, HD used the same system years ago and had the same issue, they trashed the Italian system for one made by Delphi that works much smoother BUT still lean as sh*t.

The more miles on the bike the problem does not appear to be as bad / appearent, trust me. Todd could take your stock ECU and message it to help the issue, I like you are not looking for torque and more HP, the beast has got enough, little fueling tweeks would be nice to smooth out the delivery though.

You know what else irks me? The EPA saddles this motorcycle with endless environmental add-ons, like the Charcoal Can, the one way valve, the tipover vavle, the stepper motor, the lean ratio, the catylitic converter. There are probably less than 50 of these bikes in the US, yet the Country is filled with gigantic SUV's, Vans and Trucks that pollute the crap out of the environment. If the EPA really wanted to accomplish something productive, they would be encouraging people to drive motorcycles, not making them inoperable. And they would focus more of their efforts on the vehicles responsible for more of the pollution....

guzziben47 said:
You know what else irks me? The EPA saddles this motorcycle with endless environmental add-ons, like the Charcoal Can, the one way valve, the tipover vavle, the stepper motor, the lean ratio, the catylitic converter. There are probably less than 50 of these bikes in the US, yet the Country is filled with gigantic SUV's, Vans and Trucks that pollute the crap out of the environment. If the EPA really wanted to accomplish something productive, they would be encouraging people to drive motorcycles, not making them inoperable. And they would focus more of their efforts on the vehicles responsible for more of the pollution....

AMEN brother.................AMEN.

guzziben47 said:
I love everything about my Stelvio except for the fuel delivery. That is the one issue that I still haunts me. It's not as bad as it was when I first got the bike, but it's still there. I'd get the PCV-AT but I have the impression it is far beyond what I need. I'm not looking for more power; and I have the stock exhaust fitted. I would just like the engine to run better at steady throttle. If I can get that one issue straightened out, I'll be happy.....

That one issue is the problem for what I've read and seen about the Marelli MAP ECU it calculates the volume of air whereas MAF (Mass air flow) ECU measures the volume of air.
I believe this is where the problem begins all about the bike running the way it does. (Irratic)

At over 2000km on the odo.... I don't open the bike at full throttle, always keeping my rev below 5000rpm and occasionally a 6000 swing.... so all week we've been having hot sunny temperatures in the low 90's, around 50% humidity and riding the bike to work was a gem .....wasn't missing a beat...smooth as silk. :)
Today we got a wicked thunderstorm temperatures dropped in the mid 70's and naturally humidity was very high ..... riding in the rain I was stuck in traffic couldn't get the bike over 4000 rpm.
Below 4000 rpm the bike was running like crap ... missfiring (Snack Crackle Pop)..couldn't keep the low speed constant. :angry:
As soon as I got it going on a straight away reving at 4000, 5000 .... the engine warmed up ..... 120km/hr .....what a beauty.
The problem went away. :woohoo:

Do any of you have similar response with changing temperature/humidity conditions?

GT-Rx said:
I found out on Wednesday when I picked mine up, there had been only 38 total Stelvio sold in the US to date.

Whoa. In a way, I kinda like this exclusivity. I think there are three on the road in Colorado. Except for challenges finding first gear when at a stop, have no notable issues. Had a fine 120 mile lunch ride on the sweet thing today.

DanPez said:
That one issue is the problem for what I've read and seen about the Marelli MAP ECU it calculates the volume of air whereas MAF (Mass air flow) ECU measures the volume of air.
I believe this is where the problem begins all about the bike running the way it does. (Irratic)

At over 2000km on the odo.... I don't open the bike at full throttle, always keeping my rev below 5000rpm and occasionally a 6000 swing.... so all week we've been having hot sunny temperatures in the low 90's, around 50% humidity and riding the bike to work was a gem .....wasn't missing a beat...smooth as silk. :)
Today we got a wicked thunderstorm temperatures dropped in the mid 70's and naturally humidity was very high ..... riding in the rain I was stuck in traffic couldn't get the bike over 4000 rpm.
Below 4000 rpm the bike was running like crap ... missfiring (Snack Crackle Pop)..couldn't keep the low speed constant. :angry:
As soon as I got it going on a straight away reving at 4000, 5000 .... the engine warmed up ..... 120km/hr .....what a beauty.
The problem went away. :woohoo:

Do any of you have similar response with changing temperature/humidity conditions?

Change your spark plug boots, there lies the problem.

DanPez said:
kwn306 said:

Would you recommend the NGK X4K power cables ?

Yes, but they are east asia only according to NGK USA, just replace the boots (unscrew old boot, cut off brass fitting on the end of the wire and screw on the new boot) problem solved.

kwn306 said:
DanPez said:

Yes, but they are east asia only according to NGK USA, just replace the boots (unscrew old boot, cut off brass fitting on the end of the wire and screw on the new boot) problem solved.

Thanks Kurt ........ I'll give it a try (Can't wait till it rains :huh: )

kwn306 said:
DanPez said:
kwn306 said:

So what boots are you replacing the stockers with? numbers please???

I have the top of my plug boots wrapped with some funky tape like stuff (from the electrician at work) till I find something better....

As stated elsewhere NGK SB05E plug caps work perfectly well. I've just ordered some of the 'Power Cables' or whatever they are called from Japan for evaluation purposes and have set my slaves here to the task of finding if they are available locally. From Japan they aren't cheap, not much change out of 100 bux Oz with shipping but I'm hoping if I can brandish the box at our importer he may be willing to bring a few sets in for me a lot cheaper.

pete

pete roper said:
As stated elsewhere NGK SB05E plug caps work perfectly well. I've just ordered some of the 'Power Cables' or whatever they are called from Japan for evaluation purposes and have set my slaves here to the task of finding if they are available locally. From Japan they aren't cheap, not much change out of 100 bux Oz with shipping but I'm hoping if I can brandish the box at our importer he may be willing to bring a few sets in for me a lot cheaper.

pete

Well... found the NGK X4K at japan.webike.net they will ship to Canada... cost of $85.30CAD for a pair (ship included). :eek:hmy:

I am thinking that the caps are the way to go. :D I am fairly sure I can get them cheaper.... :dry:

I got my new caps from an internet vendor in California, they were less than $3/ea.USD, the shipping was more than the parts.

Shrike said:
pete roper said:

pete

Well... found the NGK X4K at japan.webike.net they will ship to Canada... cost of $85.30CAD for a pair (ship included). :eek:hmy:

I am thinking that the caps are the way to go. :D I am fairly sure I can get them cheaper.... :dry:

Just to confirm .....
The SB05E or SB05F are straight plug caps. (Difference is spark plug end type connector ..... plug / screw connection)
The X4K has an angle of 120 deg ...... great for the V8 1200.
Has anyone checked to see if the XB05F was the right lenght for our bikes ? (cause these are 120 deg also)

Back