• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I want a Stelvio and need some advice!

cgaulzetti

Just got it firing!
hi guys:
My name’s Craig and I live in San Diego now and currently own a 2017 Aprilia RSV4 RR that I ride everyday about 50 miles commuting and take out when my bicycle shop is closed for long rides out here.
I bought my RSV4 because I had a 2016 Ducati Supersport S that I thought was perfect- but my partner Kate couldn’t join me for the fun on my Ducati so I went to a Piaggio group demo day to try to find a good bike for two up touring as a second bike. I was able to sign up for four bikes so I opted to try a Guzzi California, a Stelvio, and an Aprilia Caponard and the shop told me I might as well try an RSV4

Well- long story short as soon as I tried the RSV4 I became obsessed. It was the best ride I’d ever had- the bike was telepathic and amazing. I traded in my Duc (a great bike I was perfectly happy with and intending to keep forever).

I still need a family bike and some light off-road capability would be great considering all the desert roads we have here.

I HATED the California. I just don’t like the foot forward position and the thing just felt big and dumb. I wanted to like it- but it wasn’t for me.

The Caponard kinda felt a little boring and big. It seemed like a less nimble version of my Supersport and I really don’t like that inbetween handlebar position. I want low and narrow or high and wide.

I really liked the Stelvio. The commanding ADV position felt great- Kate likes the pillion position, but I do wonder if the bike has enough oomph. To me it looks awesome too and sounds great. I also got the opportunity to try the R1200GS. Everyone has told me that is the way to go- but honestly I liked the Guzzi better. I’m also thinking about a Multistrada if I can find the right one (a used Pikes Peak or Enduro could be cool/ I think the smaller one might not be enough bike for two up touring).

Anyway: Ideally I’d want a used Stelvio that has had some of the cool Guzzi tech done to it- but wanted to sign up here and get the community’s thoughts. Anyone know any great Stelvios being offered? How old can I go and still get a great bike?
Should I get the brand new leftover my dealer has? I really don’t want to spend more than $10k on a second bike right now- but maybe it’s worth waiting until I can?

Has anyone built a Stelvio to really give it KTM levels of power and off-road capability? I’m into trick fast stuff- I modify every vehicle I own and like having something special- and I know my future Stelvio will get personalized to be a street legal race bike (be it a Pikes Peak style or a Dakar style)

Anyway- I’d love you guy’s advice on what to do where to start and what to look out for. I’m 90% there although I haven’t tried a KTM 1090r or a Multistrada but I think the former look kinda dumb- and I’m kinda feeling the whole Guzzi thing. Plus- I’ve loved my Aprilia so much I think I could become a loyal Piaggio only style customer. Haha.

Thoughts?

Don't get a Multistrada Enduro. The type of spokes they have that lie on the outboard rim of the wheel make trueing the wheel much more of a job than normal spokes. I had a 2013 Multi and then a 2016. The 2013 ran stronger. Their new "DVT" motor (model yr 2015 forward) has an uncurable mid range torque flat spot from about 4500 - 6500 rpm (11K redline) which unfortunately is right where you tend to be when exiting a curve. KTM's are great but personally I don't care for the styling. Hard to go wrong with a GS but BMW's don't come cheap even used. You should be able to get asking price down to $10,995 on a left over 2016 or 2017 Stelvio at the "right" dealer. I did a long distance buy from a dealer 1500 miles from me, they came down to $11,495 last summer on the left over 2016 I wanted.

I removed the hand guards from my Stelvio and it seemed to get rid of some turbulence and buffeting. I also needed to add an X-Creen Spoiler blade to top of the wind screen to quell some serious buffeting there. I'm 6'2" for height reference. No position of the factory wind screen got rid of the turbulence at helmet until I installed the X-Creen blade.

I'm averaging in the 40 - 44 mpg range as far as fuel economy goes. Lots of in-town stop and go will put it down around 36-39. I'm not sure of the accuracy of the speedometer since I don't use a GPS but it seems truer than the Ducati's were. The Duc's always read about 5 - 8 mph high.

The speedo on the Stelvio is like any other bike these days. About 4 mph on average over the actual. The bike is a great cross country machine especially with an 8.5 gal fuel tank. Comfortable for all day riding & capable of off road, but what a beast when it is dropped to get back up. The engine bars do a good job protecting the cylinder heads, but plastic above will take a beating. Well worth replacing the Hella driving lights with a good set of LEDs & fuse them since they are on the main power fuse circuit. Factory heated grips are a pleasant add on for the bike & the SW Motech panniers are really nice. Can always up size to their 45 liter boxes. Nice handling bike, no rocket ship, but respectable performance & fun to ride. Is missing some of the bells & whistles like cruise control & electric suspension, but not everyone feels the need for those. There are a few replacements, add ons for the windscreen. Buffeting can be a problem depending on your height. Excellent bike for 2 up. Never had a complaint from a passenger about lack of comfort.
Doesn't hurt to have the stock ECU remapped. The bikes from the factory are a bit lean & have some flat spots. Todd does a good job of taking care of that. Fuel mileage is on par with the GS from BMW.
For the money is a hard bike to beat these days.

The speedo on the Stelvio is like any other bike these days. About 4 mph on average over the actual. The bike is a great cross country machine especially with an 8.5 gal fuel tank. Comfortable for all day riding & capable of off road, but what a beast when it is dropped to get back up. The engine bars do a good job protecting the cylinder heads, but plastic above will take a beating. Well worth replacing the Hella driving lights with a good set of LEDs & fuse them since they are on the main power fuse circuit. Factory heated grips are a pleasant add on for the bike & the SW Motech panniers are really nice. Can always up size to their 45 liter boxes. Nice handling bike, no rocket ship, but respectable performance & fun to ride. Is missing some of the bells & whistles like cruise control & electric suspension, but not everyone feels the need for those. There are a few replacements, add ons for the windscreen. Buffeting can be a problem depending on your height. Excellent bike for 2 up. Never had a complaint from a passenger about lack of comfort.
Doesn't hurt to have the stock ECU remapped. The bikes from the factory are a bit lean & have some flat spots. Todd does a good job of taking care of that. Fuel mileage is on par with the GS from BMW.
For the money is a hard bike to beat these days.

Agreed on the aux lights but what's a good LED replacement that's round (don't like square) and bolts right on i.e. "plug and play"?

Agreed on the aux lights but what's a good LED replacement that's round (don't like square) and bolts right on i.e. "plug and play"?

Denali lights. A number of places sell them. Respect to Todd not listing other web sights.

Anyway: Ideally I’d want a used Stelvio that has had some of the cool Guzzi tech done to it- but wanted to sign up here and get the community’s thoughts. Anyone know any great Stelvios being offered? How old can I go and still get a great bike? Should I get the brand new leftover my dealer has? I really don’t want to spend more than $10k on a second bike right now- but maybe it’s worth waiting until I can?
The Stelvio is Guzzis best bike to date. Used ones are rare, as the whole Guzzi line is low production. If you find one, grab it. The big tank roller rocker 2013-17 is the years I recommend. You can read up on the site as to why if you need more.

Has anyone built a Stelvio to really give it KTM levels of power and off-road capability? I’m into trick fast stuff- I modify every vehicle I own and like having something special- and I know my future Stelvio will get personalized to be a street legal race bike (be it a Pikes Peak style or a Dakar style)
No, and don't expect it, however I am offering 1380cc big bore motors, but am focusing on my new brand launch GTM soon. For a peek; https://www.instagram.com/gtmotocycles/

Best of luck on the journey. Be forewarned, Guzzis are additive.

Denali lights. A number of places sell them. Respect to Todd not listing other web sights.

After installing the Euro turn signals last week I had a thought: Could an LED auxiliary light capsule of same dimensions and design layout be made up by a [3D printing capable] custom parts maker to install where the Euro turn signals go, and then for turn signals just install after market hand guards with the built-in LED turn signals, allowing you to retain the Euro mirrors? The parts maker could be given the dummy inserts (Euro signal filler inserts) that come on the north american spec bikes to 3D scan for design fitment of the new aux light product.

Back