Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. The site owner Todd had surgery on Monday, and will be very slow to respond to all inquiries, including online Store questions.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  3. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Ignition Coils

Discussion in 'Spine' started by Ray1150, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Ray1150

Ray1150 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Went for a ride 2 weeks ago on the V10 the crappy stucchi cross over split and the gear change ball joint sheared off. Ideal.
    (Here's the two types bytheway, bought a Mistral replacement.)
    Went for a ride on Sunday, lovely day almost unknown in England 35 degrees C, after about 15 miles the bike started cutting out and soon became unrideable. Perfect.
    Had a fiddle about and a bit of a think, it had been cutting out earlier in the ride, initially I thought the tickover was too low due to the new crossover but it wasn't that. I know its not fuel, I've been there everythings new and properly set.
    Coils. Let everything cool down for 30 minutes and rode home without any probs.
    Just taken the coils out LT side @ 200 ohms is 1.3 and 1.4, HT side @ 20k is 3.35 and 3.32.
    Does anyone know what the resistance operating range should be? It does seem very low to me.
    I'll call a few people tomorrow, just thought someone may know on here.
    thx.

Attached Files:

2. Ray1150

Listed LT resistance for Centauro coils is 1.0 ohm.
    (Not that then!)

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Not necessarily. When they get hot things change.

4. Ray1150

If a coil is breaking down wouldn't I expect to see the resistance values altering away from the norm?

5. john zibell

Usually shows up only when hot. If you have eliminated all other possibilities, other than coils what is left?

6. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Very common indication of a coil on the way out. Cuts out when hot, but fine when cooled down again. Guess how I found that out.

7. Ray1150

Oh good, they're only £100 a pop, perhaps I'll buy 3 just in case.

8. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

I’m sorry. What do you think they should cost?

I know, shoddy electrical parts that wear out after only 23-24 years are such a bummer….:rolleyes:

john zibell likes this.
  9. Ray1150

Buy one get one free? (From the bloke who mocks people for buying cheap oil filters.) I know Scott I'm just fed up with this bike going wrong but I will sort it. I may be skint by that time, it's so good looking and when during brief periods it runs properly it's lovely to ride.
    Having Bridgestone T32's put on tomorrow front and rear, I'll borrow a coil off the Sport and see which one is failing. Just another of "those things" the Sports' done over twice the mileage of the V10. I'm getting the feeling many of the problems were caused by the fact the bike went into a shed in 2007 came out 10 years later and since then has only done 200m going to and from MoT tests. I've put 1000 miles on it since buying it last year.

Coils were a pain to get out as it's impossible to access the rear of the holding bracket. I'm going to weld the nuts for the socket screws that hold the coils in place to the bracket to make removing the coils a lot easier.

10. john zibell

Before you weld, remove the ECU.

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  11. Ray1150

John, I'm now so paranoid about this bike I'm taking the bracket into a different room before I weld it up!

john zibell likes this.
  12. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Mine works perfect. I think yours must have been abused and neglected. You'll get it sorted out.