• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Ignition Switch Fail

This is 2021 on the month of march and the date is 15th. To celebrate 100th anniversary, I take my Cali 1400 on a short ride and in the midst of my ride i got thirsty, and stopped the bike for a fill up and lo and behold, the thing wouldn't start . turn the key and nothing. Just in the slightest twist of the key, I see the light flicker, so I realize its something to do with the ignition switch. That leads me here.
Now facing this dreaded issue with something that is not supposed to fail. 2014 CALI 1400 Touring. with about 8k miles on it.

Some say, this may be due to keeping the bike in handle lock position for long durations.
Either way now my bike is in the dealer's shop and I'm hoping that the technician is able to rectify this. Or so else ill have to order the part.
Do you guys have any history of ordering parts form parts-motoguzzi.com or af1racing.com ? which one should I go with?

Thanks in Advance

Will keep you Guys posted.

Happened to me a year back. I sent this thread to my mechanic and he fixed it up in in under $50. Also I would suggest not to put the handlebar locks on for extended durations or at all actually. This may have caused the spring in the assembly to not fully decompress. At least that's my understanding.

Thanks Mark
This is crazy. Just happened to me. I spent 5 hours debugging my electrical then noticed this ignition issue. I will try to take it apart tonight.

I took the switch apart. I had to shave a few clip tabs to get it apart. Don't think this was designed for repair. See the internal component below and repair.

View attachment 18032 View attachment 18033 View attachment 18034 View attachment 18035 View attachment 18036

I bought some Inox MX3. If I spray it into the key slot will it lubricate the ignition switch contacts?

Holy crap is that Inox product ever expensive ! Peter
Isn't it just !!! - CDN $65 for 100g spray bottle on Amazon.

Looking at the INOX web site they make MX3 and MX4 which they claim are interchangable for most applications (MX4 seems to have better anti corrosion protection more suitable for marine applications and can be bought for about $15 in a 300g spray). Interestingly MX4 contains Lanolin (smells like damp sheep) which reminds of a similar lanolin based product that can be bought over the counter in most good hardware type stores - 'Fluid Film'. I use it extensive on my Jet ski and trailer hitch. Maybe this would be a (much cheaper) substitute for a key switch application.

I would not squirt any oil based or liquid lubricant into your ignition switch! This is a very bad idea.

MX3 is white oil !!! You do not want this in your ignition switch.

Use a dry lubricant such as this which is available at any Home Depot or quality hardware store.

Screen Shot 2022 06 04 at 25114 PM

Something happened to me in a rain storm. I used compressed air in the key slot followed by some WD-40 and it never happened again. (in the last 5 years.).

Has anyone in this forum tried converting to a keyless solution? I'm lookinv at digital guard dawg (very little info, looks a little janky) and I see that GTM likes the mgadget but I don't think that works for the 1400's because of the immobiliser, right?

I put a squirt of this stuff in my key slot, its great on electrical components/connections.
I used this stuff on my boat electrics as its non conductive and protects against the effects of saltwater intrusion/corrosion. It even has a Mil Spec rating.
100 7366

I put a squirt of this stuff in my key slot, its great on electrical components/connections.
I used this stuff on my boat electrics as its non conductive and protects against the effects of saltwater intrusion/corrosion. It even has a Mil Spec rating.
View attachment 32321
Thanks! I'm ordering it now. Unfortunately/fortunately it also looks like I will be taking down my ignition key switch again this weekend anyway..

Great!
Went out to go for a ride today, turned on the key and NADA, dash was dead ( however the Park lights will come on?). Couldn't have happened at a better time, my F-250 needs a water pump and my T-250 need front Struts......I guess they'll just have to wait! after all I do have priorities

Great!
Went out to go for a ride today, turned on the key and NADA, dash was dead ( however the Park lights will come on?). Couldn't have happened at a better time, my F-250 needs a water pump and my T-250 need front Struts......I guess they'll just have to wait! after all I do have priorities
If you have park lights coming on I don't think that's your ignition switch; the two times mine failed I would get nothing at all unless it was a flicker of power when I turned the key

If you have park lights coming on I don't think that's your ignition switch; the two times mine failed I would get nothing at all unless it was a flicker of power when I turned the key
Park lights come on when I put the key over into park. Now if I press down on key while its in run/on position then dash will light up and then go dead when I release pressure so I'm really thinking it that springy thing but we'll see. 👍

Damn! that went better/faster than I expected, of course its nice to have a parts bike to go to first to see how everything comes apart. Installed switch from my old bike and everything is back to normal. I'll see about repairing the old switch later or order a new one to keep in stock.

OK
I took the old switch apart and one of the two contact blades was stuck, I just had to trim off a little piece of excess plastic and now its all freed up ( cleaned up the contacts also ). Thanks for this great post and this great site. Here is a few more pic's of the switch just because.

Back