RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

I'm embarrassed to ask

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by cog2803, Mar 2, 2019.

1. cog2803

cog2803 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

When you check the oil level (Griso 1100) do you screw the dipstick all the way in to get a level or do you just place it back in the filler hole to get a level?

I'm having a complete brain fade episode here. . . .

Bill Buchanan

2. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    I assure you that you could not possibly be as embarrassed with that question as I deserve to be for the countless and often inane questions I have posed over the years! :giggle:

WRT your question, it is my understanding that on CARC models one inserts but does not screw in the dipstick. At least that is what I do and have done for years.

There is much more one can add to this general issue, but I am tired and might come back to address those tomorrow, tho others may chime in before that to disagree or mention overfilling, checking on side stand, and similar matters.

G'night,

Bill

3. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I agree with what Bill says, but also add that you shouldn't top up pass the halfway mark. Otherwise there's every chance the extra oil will end up in your airbox.

4. cog2803

cog2803 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Thanks for your "gentleness" . . . I do have one more follow up. I park my Griso upright in a wheel chock. Should the oil level be checked on the side stand? When it's standing straight up the level cuts across the dipstick at quite an angle as opposed to when it's leaned over.

Or am I making too much of a big deal about this and overthinking the entire process. Either way, the level is between the minimum and maximum marks so I'm going to guess it's good, yes?

5. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

Upright on the chock is best. You can make a second mark so that you can check it on the side stand.

GerryP and Bill Hagan like this.
  6. Duane Beery

Duane Beery Just got it firing!

I think these are great questions. Coming from only owning Hondas that come standard with center stands I think every motorcycle company could be different. My Breva center stand is an option so the side stand/center stand question is a viable one. Thanks.