• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Insurance for the Balkans

whysub

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi all

In August I am taking my Guzzi on a European jaunt, going France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania, ( then possibly Serbia, and Kosovo), Bosnia, then back to Croatia and back to the UK the reverse of getting to Croatia.

The only fly in the ointment is insurance. My insurers won't cover me for all countries (just EU members states plus Serbia and Montenegro IF I pay for a green card for those two.

Looked on loads of "adventure travel" websites as well as the consulates of the countries I am visiting, but can find nothing recent.

Does anyone have any current knowledge? Can I buy insurance at border crossings? Is there a UK company that would insure me third party for these countries? Thanks.

I have linked my two world traveling friends (Claudio of LongWalk.it & Andrea of Stelvio2Stelvio.it) to this thread in hopes they will post. If they just reply to me, I will post again on what they say.

Hi whysub!
Nice to meet you.
I am italian and i wish i could provide you detail about an insurance able to cover you in/outside EU.
Unfortunately i am out of Europe since 2008 so i am not updated.

I can translate from italian or contact insurance in my country if you need to. I am available if you have some language issue. Besides i'll try to contact some friends to discover some solutions.

If i'll figure something out i ll let you know

Thanks very much for asking for me. Trying to get upto date and accurate information is a little difficult.

So far I have been told that I will be able to buy insurance at the border crossing when going into a non-EU country from the EU. However I have been given various costs for the same crossing-anything from €5 to €30 so not sure what is the right one (if any of them are)..

Words from Andrea:

Here's a map about the insurance states in Europe: http://www.ucimi.it/cartaverde.html

Purple means: EU member
dark purple means: Not EU, where a normal UE insurance is valid green mean: EU insurance with a green card.

Thanks Todd

There is a bit of a difference to that for those of us in the UK (so I have been informed). Cover for non EU countries seems to be automatically given if you hold a policy taken out in mainland Europe. For those of us in the UK (an island) this is not the case, as insurance cover is restricted to EU countries plus (depending on insurers) a few non EU countries. A Green Card will need to be purchased for other countries, but again, insurers will not cover some non EU countries by a Green Card.

It's a nightmare trying to find out the insuranxce position within the UK. Why those in the EU in Mainland Europe have it different to the UK when the EU is suppossed to have a harmonious approach to everything defies me.

Here's a couple of other insurance points you should check.

Some UK bike policies will cover you for foreign travel but if the worst happens & you have an accident they can write the bike off if they deem it uneconomic to recover it to the UK. This might seem unlikely if you're on a high value bike but it can happen. Some companies won't pay for a recovery truck & driver to get the bike back thousands of miles and then pay for the return journey home again. It seems they won't consider shipping bikes as freight in a container as "recovery" either.

Second point.....check out your personal travel insurance. Some policies specifically won't cover motorcycle accident injuries. This is because of countless inexperienced holiday makers hiring bikes and coming off. However a good personal travel insurance policy should cover you as long as you are riding your own bike and have traveled from the UK on it (I'm not sure what happens if you take your bike abroad in a van or on a trailer).

Thanks Will-I have heard horror stories from my mate living in Tenerife where holiday makers hire 600cc bikes and then crash them wearing shorts, vests and flip flops, losing lots of skin and flesh.

Only then do they find that their travel insurance only covers riding up to 125cc bikes. If they wore decent riding gear then skin injuries become much less likely, and expensive hospital and transportation bills would be avoided.

Try Stefan Knopf in Heidelberg Germany. I got my insurance last July through his company. He is on the internet. You need to pay for it by the month.

Back