• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Intermittent CEL / Dealer Labor Question

tiltmode43

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi All,

Just wanted to get some feedback on some dealer service performed. I was in need of a new front tire so figured I might as well get a CEL checked out that had been coming on sporadically.

Went to pick up the bike and was told the bike wouldn't easily start or idle when I dropped it off. I was kind of surprised, kind of not - the bike had often required quick idle to start and once warmed up, would idle fine/start okay.

At the end of it they said it was 120min labor, which seemed like quite a bit but I figured the problem was solved and dealer rates are often steep anyways. Here's the breakdown:

Service Hours - 90 Minutes diagnostic for difficult to start and idle Service Hours - 30 Minutes for resetting engine map

Here's the kicker - as I was leaving the CEL came back on near right away. I contacted them and was told I could bring the bike back in and they'd read the code at no charge. Bringing the bike in isn't exactly convenient so I said I'd monitor it and see what happens because the bike really was running well. The CEL has been on and off so I'm going to bring it back but does anyone have any ideas as to what it may be? No real symptoms and seems to come on at random times. Also, how does the 120min labor sound for what was performed? Seems kind of high but want to see if anyone has any feedback.

The silly part is I had the GuzziDiag software on my laptop before it was stolen, so would have really preferred to pull the codes myself but couldn't.

Having to crack the throttle on the older bikes to start them is pretty normal. They're set up pretty lean and don't like to start unless you do. The general manager at Newport Italian sent me a note yesterday complaining about me calling them a scooter dealer. Something about being "invested" in motorcycles. Posts like yours lead me to believe I should take my business elsewhere. I'll send you a PM with the guys name so you can contact him.

Matt, if you want to have a ride up into the Hills, I'd be happy to connect and read them for you, no charge. Contact me direct email to set up a time/day; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Having to crack the throttle on the older bikes to start them is pretty normal. They're set up pretty lean and don't like to start unless you do. The general manager at Newport Italian sent me a note yesterday complaining about me calling them a scooter dealer. Something about being "invested" in motorcycles. Posts like yours lead me to believe I should take my business elsewhere. I'll send you a PM with the guys name so you can contact him.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, cracking the throttle has been routine. It's a bit more than a crack of the throttle required often - need to have quick idle on for a bit til warm, then can turn it down. I never really thought of it as much of a problem, just figured my bike didn't like to not be warmed up. However, it seems improved after the work performed too, so something changed. To their credit there was a noticeable difference in how the bike felt/rode (better).

Some of the guys at Newport Italian have been AWESOME to work with, going above and beyond to help me out. I didn't really intend for this to be a negative thread about any certain dealer but rather just to see some feedback on labor time and/or whether anyone else had dealt with similar. How'd you guess NI anyways, could've been Pro Italia haha.

In either case, I'd recommend stopping by NI again if you haven't in a while. They've really upped their game in the custom side of things + gear options. Now that Bobby is no longer with Pro Italia I think Newport Italian is going to be my new home. They've even got a scrambler/flat tracker V7 that has actually seen dirt (gasp!). When they first opened, it seemed a bit more boutiquey but at this point that image has been thoroughly erased from my memory.

For all I know my bike decided to develop a new problem as I rode off the lot that caused the CEL. Not likely, but wouldn't surprise me either, haha.

By the way, you in the OC area? Haven't been on the boards in a while, their any guzzi cruises that ever go on?

Matt, if you want to have a ride up into the Hills, I'd be happy to connect and read them for you, no charge. Contact me direct email to set up a time/day; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Thanks Todd! You're a real help, I appreciate it. I wish I'd have thought to post sooner, I passed through your neck of the woods this past weekend. Rode up to Lebec, through Los Padres, down the 33, down PCH, then the Snake and back onto PCH.

Back