RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Intermittent mid-range misfire.

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by Revhead, May 8, 2018.

1. Revhead

Revhead Just got it firing!

I have a 2013 Stelvio NTX 1200. Recently the motor developed an intermittent misfire under acceleration.
    The misfire would come in at around 3500rpm and disappear around 5000 rpm. The engine would then rev smoothly up to 8000.
    I had my local Guzzi wiz check it out and found one of the coils was faulty. Replacing the coil and plugs seemed to remedy the fault allowing the motor to rev out smoothly for the next 100 kms until the problem of misfire returned, although more intermittent than before. Has anyone else experienced misfire problems like this?
    I need to eliminate other causes before open heart surgery to replace ECU.

2. Litch

Litch Just got it firing!

I had something very similar and it turned out to be the sidestand switch, if your problem was briefly cured by changing the coil then this is unlikely to be this n your case unless it was just a coincidence.

I had suffered it for a couple of weeks (in the rev-range mentioned above which was always when I was accelerating) when I noticed that the sidestand warning light would flicker at the same time. It was then just a matter of cleaning the switch with contact cleaner and it was fine. It did happen again much later and I cured it the same way.

Revhead likes this.
  3. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque High Miler GT Famiglia

I doubt if it was your coil to begin with.

More than likely, your spark plug boots had been improperly pulled off before and you may have a crack in the rubber where the plug is able to arc out against the engine block. It causes this intermittent symptom like you describe. There are tons of posts here about it you can search, but this one may be of immediate use to you. Good Luck!

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...io-plug-caps-with-ngk-sb05e.10810/#post-82260

- Scott

Revhead and john zibell like this.
  4. Revhead

Thanks for this .... I will definitely check it out.

5. Revhead

Sure enough, I can see someone (not me) has poked a hole into the spark plug boot. Looks like a screw driver has been used to pry up the plug boot. Thanks for the heads up on this issue.

6. scottmastrocinque

You are most welcome. Good Luck!

7. scottmastrocinque

8. theoneandonlymin

theoneandonlymin Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

So as my dash goes blank or inverts,
    I'm going to replace plugs and caps as discussed in other threads on my 08 8v Stelvio.
    Thought that I'd have a wee look at the side stand switch as well. How can you get it off? The back Allen bolt isn't really accessible. In the meantime I've sprayed it with Rockeze to make sure it doesn't stick.
    I've sealed up the speed sensor so hopefully that won't be an issue.
    Cheers
    Min

9. Revhead

After weeks of trying to track down my mid-range misfire, it appears the problem was a faulty crankshaft sensor. The sensor has been replaced and I have had a few thousand kilometers of no more misfire! Fingers crossed.

boscoman likes this.