Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Intermittent no start fixed

Discussion in 'CARC' started by matson, Oct 13, 2013.

1. matson

matson Tuned and Synch'ed

OK folks, for a while (about 2 weeks) during winter a couple of months back - not that cold where I live in Oz, the little beastie would do all the dash bizzo but when I hit the go button - nothing.
    However, hold that switch for a few secs and vroom.
    I visually checked all connections, terminals etc and wiggled / poked everything, checked relays etc, spraying WD into most of the electrics as I went. Still the problem persisted.
    So I searched the forums and found numerous fixes relating to wiring / earth mods etc.
    Rather than resort to this, I went over the bike once again. This time after I put all the covers back on, seat etc I thought to myself, "self, give the handlebar mounted start switch a squirt of WD40." (couldn't remember doing this previously)
    So that's what I did and I haven't had any issue since. Just goes to show, things are not always as problematic as we sometimes think and it pays to be methodical and thorough when diagnosing / fault finding;)
    Happy days - wish it was all that easy.

2. canuck1969

canuck1969 GT Reference GT Contributor

Good pickup Matson,

I am in habit of spraying WD40 in the handle bar switches every couple of months or after I wash it. Have not had a problem in 25,000 km (knock on wood.....). Just good preventative maintenance on any bike.

3. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Rather than WD40, you would be better using a proper electrical contact lubricant and cleaner. Servisol is one such product.
    Worth spraying the stuff in all the handlebar switches.