• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Internal Fuel Pump - Pics and a Question

Yellowheader

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Last week I found myself stranded (not far from home luckily) when my Stone conked out on me. Some hunting around on Guzzi Tech and other sites pointed to a disconnected fuel hose inside the tank. The threads dealing with that issue don't have a lot of pictures, so when I opened up my tank I snapped some. I hope by posting them here someone can take on this repair with a little more confidence than I felt going in.
First, the access panel on the inside of the tunnel under the tank. This is looking into the front toward the back.
20170510_195641_zps1b5lt3iz.jpg

Here's the tank removed and lying on its side with the access panel screws removed. I gather from other threads that the line coming off the red elbow is a quick-detach fitting, but I never figured out how to get it undone. I just took the hose off the hard way.
20170510_213754_zpscmxnhzik.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is the access plate pulled away from the tank. Here was my problem - no hose was attached to the gray pipe, which is the pump outlet.
20170510_214452_zpsujv3zczb.jpg

For me, the trickiest part of the removal was getting the filter out without mangling the ribbed plastic hose connecting it to the access plate. When I disconnected it from the plate, things came out much easier.
20170510_220224_zpskndpwk6t.jpg

Here's the filter with the two hoses attached. A PO had done this operation before: you can see the worm-screw clamp where it was attached to the fuel pump. The hose was mangled under that clamp and eventually slipped off again.
20170510_220322_zpsf1bzbnki.jpg

Hauling out the rest of the assembly: pump, pressure regulator and electrical connectors. Once the filter and hoses are out of the way, this comes out fairly easily.
20170510_220542_zps0vyp46hk.jpg

Here's my question. When I opened up my tank, the filter was floating free, anchored only by the hoses that connected to either end. However, I noticed that the plastic bracket that holds the fuel pump in place also has some tabs that the original filter nestles into, but it doesn't snap into place the way the pump does.
20170510_235929_zpsh0wpwuyf.jpg

Should the filter be attached to this bracket assembly somehow? If so, how is it done? I suspect one or more tabs is broken off my bracket, but I'm not sure what all is missing. Thanks for any advice you can share.

Scott,

The Tonti fuel pump in tank is much different from a CARC bike. When the assembly is together it is a real PITA to get out, and worse to get back in. If the engineer had made the hole a few millimeters larger the task wouldn't be so bad. If memory serve me correctly, the fuel filter is retained by a zip tie.

Yellowheader, get rid of that clear plastic line. You should have submersible fuel line in there.

Thanks for posting the picture Scott. As John says, mine is somewhat different from that, with the pump going the opposite direction.

John, I did replace the brownish clear hose with a blue plastic hose. Everywhere I asked for a submersible hose I got a blank stare, so I grabbed a piece of this stuff, reasoning that, as a single-ply product, if it can withstand constant exposure to fuel on the inside, it should be able to on the outside too. I'll try the local Guzzi dealer for the hose this weekend, but if they even know what I'm talking about they'll probably have to order it. The ribbed hose is OK, right?

Hi John,

I was just looking at the bracket he asked about in relation to a picture I had seen. Hence, the "???" That's all. There was one other picture as well but again, not sure. Just a "toss out"... FWIW

IMG 3400

Yes, that's like mine, and it shows the filter attached with a zip tie like John said. Now it all makes sense. Unfortunately I can also see that it will be much harder to get everything in and out with it all bundled together.

Yes, that's like mine, and it shows the filter attached with a zip tie like John said. Now it all makes sense. Unfortunately I can also see that it will be much harder to get everything in and out with it all bundled together.

It is a real PITA for sure. The engineer that designed this setup needs to have a discussion with me out behind the wood shed. BTW, have an ambulance on standby for him.

This is what I did on my Cal Vin 2007. Other models may vary.
I modified my set up to some degree by moving the filter outside of the tank. I know this is controversial but I did it for the following reasons.
The parts needed are the same with the exception of the addition of some extra regular type injection hose and a few more clamps.
I wanted to make it easier to replace the fuel filter.
I wanted to make it easier to remove the tank.
It is a lot easier to get the pump unit in and out of the tank with no filter on the assembly.
I used Gates submersible hose SAE30R10. Only type rated to be used inside a fuel tank. Gates 27093 $15.92 (1ft) Rock Auto.
All metal filter Mahle KL145. From Rock Auto. $11.66
Filter Screen, internal that attaches to the pump inlet. Autobest A0 F1393. This part took me a lot of research to track down a suitable replacement for the difficult to obtain and expensive factory part. I think this part cost about $5-6.
High quality hose clamps. Got these from Amazon ABA 21014. $13 for 10 pack.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OL264DU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back