• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Intro and first question: heated grips

Luca Bandinelli

Just got it firing!
Greetings everyone.
Luca here from the sunny (and wet) Washington state in US. Born in Italy 45 year ago.. moved in US 12 years ago.
Recently exchange a 2012 GoldWing with a brand new 2018 California Touring and.. super happy for the switch.

As everyone I'm sure already did, I have some questions about our beloved bike and the first one is around... (drum roll) ... heated grips.

Lurking around this Forum and other sibling ones (AnimaGuzzista being the one on top of my mind) it looks like a good trade off could be the "Symtec Heat Demon Grip Warmers"... because they look simply to install and I really like the idea to go with my own grips (keeping the stock one or replace with something different).
But.. I'm confused: looking at RevZilla and Amazon I can see two products:

• revzilla.com/motorcycle/symtec-heat-demon-grip-warmers-for-harley
  • revzilla.com/motorcycle/symtec-heat-demon-heated-grips
I like the second option because it goes in between the handle bar and the grip.. but it looks like the option to have the switch that replaces the OOB clutch / break perch is only available for the first option .. which would require to put an element inside the bar.

Anyone have had any (positive) experience with this product that is willing to help in shed some light on here please?

Thanks in advance!

Have a look at the Koso Apollo Heated Grips SKU: 1176958 at Revilla.

I put a set on my Indian FTR-1200S as it was hard to find a separate space for a controller.

Best heated grips I've ever installed,

yeah.. thanks @kivi dave.. that would be my next option. But I really like the ability to keep my grips or have a wide choice of grips with no limitations....

Then have a look at Oxford OF691 Premium Touring heated grips.

I fitted these to my V85TT and used the original grips on them. To get the original grips off, and fit the new ones on the new heated grips, I use liberal amounts of CRC Brakleen squirted in using a fine tube.

I get the idea reading here that Moto Guzzi never provided an OEM accessory heated grips option for the ride-by-wire models (2017/2018). Is that correct?

Certainly provided heated grips for the Cali 1400 Custom.
probably because it was "ride by wire 1st generation"... Guzzi didn't make any heated grip for the 1400 "ride by wire 2nd gen".... which looks dumb but, by reading here, probably it was the right decision as it looks like after market products are waaay better and waaay cheaper

@roadventure, right. I was looking specifically for the California. it looks like noone here is using the Heat Demon... which makes me nervous to be a Guinee Pig for that. Oxford are buy and large the most used heated grips... but I don't like the bulky control.

I like the Koso a lot.. if anyone here have them in any of the California models (which in my mind also include MGX, Audace and Eldorado as @roadventure mentioned already) and can share some experiences from usage and installation standpoint as well as picture it would be greatly appreciated.

Not all 2017 models are ride by wire. My 2017 V7 III is not.
Um... there may me a difference between having cables attached that open/close the butterfly that lets air through the AND the throttle position sensor that controls how much fuel gets “released” into the system ??
( meaning it might still be drive by wire, even if it has cables - just guessing)

Um... there may me a difference between having cables attached that open/close the butterfly that lets air through the AND the throttle position sensor that controls how much fuel gets “released” into the system ??
( meaning it might still be drive by wire, even if it has cables - just guessing)

Okay, now you are arguing semantics.

To be clear, when the California 1400 was introduced and advertised as "ride-by-wire", however cables ran to a sensor which then translated information to the ECU on how the throttle body was controlled.

For the 2017 model and those going forward, Moto Guzzi used a "ride-by-wire" function that did away with the cables running to the sensor and incorporated it directly into the throttle assembly.

Both applications are referred to as "ride-by-wire", "throttle-by-wire" by Moto Guzzi and those testing and evaluating the bikes. The most clear terms I have read are "ride-by-wire, gen 1" (cables controlling a remote sensor, 2013, 2014 models) and "ride-by-wire, gen 2" (controlling a sensor located in the throttle assembly, 2017, 2018 models).

Back