• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Irate customer email about our 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge muffler

Just saw this and it seems that the customer is more interested in being an A-Hole than searching for a solution. Those type of people are impossible to work with.

As my dear departed old mum used to say 'politeness costs nothing'. I'm sure a simple 'Todd I have a problem fitting my muffler any suggestions' rather than such an accusitary post would have achieved the same end. Todd provides a great service and often goes above and beyond to help out but there's no helping some people. Reading Todd's replies he certainly has more patience than I would have had. I just hope the poster has the good grace to acknowledge that he's an a**e hole and got it wrong.

So an update from my customer...

On Apr 14, 2020, at 11:13 AM, Thomas A wrote:
Morning Todd, I went on a ride with the Norge Saturday. Your pipe made me smile all day even with the colostomy bag still on the bike.
----
On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 8:51 pm Thomas A wrote:
Hi Todd, I received the bracket extension and clamp today and just wanted to thank you for investigating and solving the luggage problem. (Haven’t tried it on yet but I have my fingers crossed)
I apologize for being upset when the luggage wouldn’t go on. Here’s what happened. I’ve wanted your muffler for over a year. When I received it I wanted you to make it fit and I didn’t want to send it back. All the other muffler manufacturers put a quiet baffle in the muffler. Then if you want a little volume you have to take out the baffle and then it is too loud and that could effect the way it runs if you do not have a tuner. I knew yours was the only muffler I wanted on my motorcycle. It sounds perfect. That’s why I refused to give up. Thanks again and sorry again.

So hopefully things are behind me. Thanks to everyone for the sanity check and the help with seeing the stock muffler mount on the N8V. I still have yet to understand why the 2015 N8V in my shop had the extension bracket plate on it.

So an update from my customer...

On Apr 14, 2020, at 11:13 AM, Thomas A wrote:
Morning Todd, I went on a ride with the Norge Saturday. Your pipe made me smile all day even with the colostomy bag still on the bike.
----
On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 8:51 pm Thomas A wrote:
Hi Todd, I received the bracket extension and clamp today and just wanted to thank you for investigating and solving the luggage problem. (Haven’t tried it on yet but I have my fingers crossed)
I apologize for being upset when the luggage wouldn’t go on. Here’s what happened. I’ve wanted your muffler for over a year. When I received it I wanted you to make it fit and I didn’t want to send it back. All the other muffler manufacturers put a quiet baffle in the muffler. Then if you want a little volume you have to take out the baffle and then it is too loud and that could effect the way it runs if you do not have a tuner. I knew yours was the only muffler I wanted on my motorcycle. It sounds perfect. That’s why I refused to give up. Thanks again and sorry again.

So hopefully things are behind me. Thanks to everyone for the sanity check and the help with seeing the stock muffler mount on the N8V. I still have yet to understand why the 2015 N8V in my shop had the extension bracket plate on it.
ah, patience + grace + investigation and we have a good result for everyone. :thumbsup:

A bit of missing information is whether the customer bought the bike new or used. As someone already pointed out, if the bike was bought used, the previous owner may not have passed the extension to the current owner. I bought my '15 Norge used and it came with the extension bracket, which I continued using when I swapped the OEM muffler for the GTM one.

A bit of missing information is whether the customer bought the bike new or used. As someone already pointed out, if the bike was bought used, the previous owner may not have passed the extension to the current owner. I bought my '15 Norge used and it came with the extension bracket, which I continued using when I swapped the OEM muffler for the GTM one.
I don't think the issue is whether the problem exists, but rather how the customer communicated the problem.

Correct, and thanks a TON for posting that your '15 had one! I know I wasn't going insane with the fact that the bike in my shop had one on the stock muffler as the pic posted earlier.
I don't think the issue is whether the problem exists, but rather how the customer communicated the problem.
CORRECT!

Having worked at Moto Marin (BMW/Moto Guzzi) (before they closed) I remember specifically that the link to lower the silencer came as part of the side case package. If you didn't install the luggage, there was no need to lower the exhaust. And yes, the tab on the silencer's do mount on the inside of the left rear footres bracket. Sorry you had to endure this difficult customer.

If the customer was not aware the bracket existed, and therefore that it was missing on his bike, it might explain why he felt he received a muffler meant for another bike.

I could be off, but I think the bracket affects the OEM muffler and GTM muffler differently. With the stock muffler, the bracket may merely raise or lower the muffler. But with the GTM, I think it also has an effect on the lateral positioning of the muffler. In other words, the GTM muffler won't sit right without the bracket. This is just based on my recollection while installing the GTM exhaust on my bike. I never bothered to see how the OEM muffler sat differently with and without the extension bracket in place.

Having worked at Moto Marin (BMW/Moto Guzzi) (before they closed) I remember specifically that the link to lower the silencer came as part of the side case package. If you didn't install the luggage, there was no need to lower the exhaust. And yes, the tab on the silencer's do mount on the inside of the left rear footrest bracket. Sorry you had to endure this difficult customer.
Thanks for this info(!).
If the customer was not aware the bracket existed, and therefore that it was missing on his bike, it might explain why he felt he received a muffler meant for another bike. I could be off, but I think the bracket affects the OEM muffler and GTM muffler differently. With the stock muffler, the bracket may merely raise or lower the muffler. But with the GTM, I think it also has an effect on the lateral positioning of the muffler. In other words, the GTM muffler won't sit right without the bracket. This is just based on my recollection while installing the GTM exhaust on my bike. I never bothered to see how the OEM muffler sat differently with and without the extension bracket in place.
Well, for a different bike is a far stretch, especially a V7 - it did bolt up and slip onto the cat-con box. The stock muffler, due to the sloppy fit with the thick gasket, offers a lot of "play" in the stock muffler positioning. My muffler is a tight slip fit, with no gasket or clamp needed, and when you rotate it upwards for the high mount position, it mounts on the outside of the peg mount. With the drop bracket, it goes on the inside and the muffler alignment is inline with the bike centerline from above.

I have not noticed this thread before.
I have a 2005 Breva 1100 and got the panniers. The bracket to lower the exhaust came with the bracket fitting kit. I hated the look of the lowered exhaust when the left pannier was not on. So I went to a garage that would fit custom exhausts and asked them to modify the exhaust from the pre exhaust silencer to the actual can - see pictures. I used the original bracket to move the exhaust backwards a bit. If your exhaust is slightly more pointing downwards the pannier will fit and the naked bike without pannier will still look o.k. They reused the stop for the centre stand. The last picture shows the part of the exhaust that came off.

P7013908

P7013909

P7013910

Awfgawd! That customer. It's hard to communicate with someone who doean't want to be calm and rational or try understand what you are telling them.

I'm considering deleting the exhaust bracket and pannier mounting hardware on my Norge as I only use the top box for commuting and it looks like any easy reinstall if I ever want to use the cases for long trips.
Aesthetics really. The Remus conical exhaust does look oddly angled w/o the cases.
My concern is the center stand will likely need a bumper stop added somewhere.

Back