• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Is a laptop necessary for PCV/AT set-up?

foggy95

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi All,
Not exactly new to the board, but new to posting here. First off, a big 'thanks' to all who contribute - there is a wealth of knowledge here, which I've been studying up on for hours!

My current bike is the V7 Classic, and I have a new (2008) 1200 Sport being prepped at the dealers right now. With all the options available to 'clean up' the running and performance of these lean running Guzzis, I'm fairly certain that I will be in the market for Todd's excellent kit consisting of the ECU flash, PCV/AT. Along with that, I assume I will need tuning diagnostics (VDST), to 'tune' the engine. My question here is, Do I need a laptop to perform this function? I really have no use for a laptop, my HP desktop is fairly new and my OS is Windows 7. Could I just diasassemble my set up here in my room and move it all temorarily into my garage? Only takes about half hour or so to do that, and I could save $$$ that could be used on the Guzzi!

Secondly, can anyone tell me if my 2009 V7 Classic has the same ECU 'type' as the 2008 Sport 1200? I am under the impression they are both of the 5AM type. On my V7 Classic, I am running Mistral reverse cone mufflers and the Mistral crossover, with all EVAP stuff removed. Runs good, but a little balky cold starting and slight popping on the over run. I'm thinking maybe just the 02 Optimizer for this bike, and the full treatment (ECI/PCV/AT) for the incoming 1200 Sport. (I'll probably go with the Mistral stainless can for that bike also) - can anyone tell me if the crossover on the 1200 Sport contains the Cat, and if so, is there a crossover replacement available for that?

Thanks in advance!
John

foggy95 said:
Not exactly new to the board, but new to posting here. First off, a big 'thanks' to all who contribute - there is a wealth of knowledge here, which I've been studying up on for hours!
My current bike is the V7 Classic, and I have a new (2008) 1200 Sport being prepped at the dealers right now... I'm fairly certain that I will be in the market for Todd's excellent kit consisting of the ECU flash, PCV/AT. Along with that, I assume I will need tuning diagnostics (VDST), to 'tune' the engine. My question here is, Do I need a laptop to perform this function? I really have no use for a laptop, my HP desktop is fairly new and my OS is Windows 7. Could I just diasassemble my set up here in my room and move it all temorarily into my garage? Only takes about half hour or so to do that, and I could save $$$ that could be used on the Guzzi!
Secondly, can anyone tell me if my 2009 V7 Classic has the same ECU 'type' as the 2008 Sport 1200? On my V7 Classic, I am running Mistral reverse cone mufflers and the Mistral crossover, with all EVAP stuff removed. Runs good, but a little balky cold starting and slight popping on the over run. I'm thinking maybe just the 02 Optimizer for this bike, and the full treatment (ECI/PCV/AT) for the incoming 1200 Sport. Can anyone tell me if the crossover on the 1200 Sport contains the Cat, and if so, is there a crossover replacement available for that?
Hi John, you got bit by the bug I see, congrats on both!
You can use whatever PC based platform you choose that can get to the bike or vice versa. It would be an occasional drill. The VDST needs this, and on the PC-V it isn't required, but is very helpful.
Your V7C uses a 15RC ECU, and the 1200 Sport uses a 5AM. There's a few posts on the 02-Optimizer for the V7C here.
The 1200 Sport uses the same Y-pipe as the Norge, and no it does not contain the cat, just the muffler. I'm sure you've seen my muffler choices, and we now offer a Y-pipe replacement (for when yours cracks). :pinch:

Hope that helps, and feel free to reach me direct for any other info.

I just bought a cheap laptop off craigslist for $50 that I basically use strictly for garage work. I have both the PC and VDST software loaded as well as all the digital manuals for all my vehicles. The laptop isn't equipped with wireless but I have a wireless adapter that allows me to tap into my wi-fi so if I get stuck while I'm out in the garage I can surf the net from there.

You don't need the newest and greatest laptop but it sure is nice to have something portable to take out with you.

Thanks guys who responded. Since my original post, I have bought a laptop, new, well under $400. I always wanted one anyway, this was a good excuse. (Told my wife I could save some $$$ if I could do some of my own diagnostics!)

Picking up my new Sport 1200 in a fews days ... rain has finally stopped here in SE Pennsylvania, and there is a strange, bright, round object in the sky which seems to be warming things up a bit.

Back