• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Is it normal that I have to warm up my V7II 2016?

So why is this not the case with cars and trucks, not to mention Japanese bikes? I'm curious to understand.
Google will help you with that as it's been covered ad nauseum here and on the net. In short, water-cooling and far more modernized engines and tech.

It's not just Guzzi, most all new non-jap bikes will need fueling mods to make them perform correctly.

<snip>

Look at my list of current & previous bikes especially note the 2002 Guzzi Jackal, 2011 Guzzi Black Eagle, 2013 Guzzi Griso, 2014 Guzzi 1400, 2015 Victory Gunner, 2013 Victory Tour. Every one of these bikes have had fueling modifications / maps to make then run correctly.

Hmmm, I disagree with your initial premise.

Although yes tighter EPA and EU regulations have made it harder for manufacturers to make air-cooled bikes run perfectly the I don't think many modern bikes NEED a tune to make them run correctly. Though I will admit there may be benefits to said tunes.

The reason MOST people tune modern bikes is because they either have replaced the mufflers and/or are chasing hp.

Now that said, yes Guzzi seems more prone to some fueling anomalies or bad OEM maps than other brands probably because of simple volume.

That said, with the exception of stalling if I don't allow it to warm up a few minutes after a cold start (and moreso in warmer ambient temps), my V7 I runs just fine and doesn't "need" a tune.

Same goes for our 07 Sporty, 11 Duc, and 16 FLHP.

I also would have said the same for my 96 FLHRI, 96 R1100RSa, 00 Jackal which are gone, but not forgotten.

I have a stock V7II with the most recent OEM fuel map. I start the engine, and then put in my earplugs, and put on my helmet, sun glasses and gloves. I then get on the bike and ride. I do not ever have a stalling problem with this short warn-up. Sometimes it doesn't go into first gear with the first try, but by the time I get to the first stop sign/light it's working fine.
Dan

The stock map on the V7III is actually okay, but it does need warming up before you can ride away. It is what it is, the manufacturers must ensure that *all* engines pass the emissions certification.

All engines should be warmed up a bit before riding off anyway. It extends their life and reduces unnecessary wear.

The GT-Rx ECU Tool with the map for the stock engine configuration improves the startup and warmup quite a lot. It's well worth the $500. I fitted Agostini mufflers to my bike, and use a customized ECU map now ... the engine runs perfectly with this setup. It was about the same cost as my first service at the dealership; I don't think that's anything to complain about for a tool that has ongoing value for the life of the motorcycle. Why not get the right tool and have the bike run properly so you can enjoy it more?

Regards the need for a Windows PC: My partner and I both use Apple equipment running macOS, but a small PC that can do what's needed cost us $90 from Ebay with Windows 10 included. It's proven useful to have it for a number of other minor things as well, where customized software only available for Windows is needed, and it saves having to manage another OS environment running on the Apple equipment. That's cheap enough to be a no-brainer.

So why is this not the case with cars and trucks, not to mention Japanese bikes? I'm curious to understand.
Maya
I imagine that cars & trucks have (usually) more cylinders, different air intake systems & more room to have more/different sensors that offset the issue plus heavier flywheels & counter balances on the crank & are much heavier pieces of equipment so it is not going to be as noticeable. The lean condition to meet EPA is still there the driver just does not notice it.

As far as the Jap bikes go any ones guess is as good as mine, they do seem to be a buy & ride type of machine but they have their own issues as well. I have never owned a Jap street bike but the few I have ridden left me less than thrilled. I was really excited when Honda did the retro CB1100 but after a few test rides it was a very boring machine.

Back