Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Is this a main oil seal leak?

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by Campagman, Feb 12, 2011.

1. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

2. prairie dog

prairie dog Just got it firing!

Wow, someone is watching and reading! Thanks so much for the follow up. That link was super helpful, definitely a step in the right direction.

Looks like my next step is figure out whether or not this is a DYI or dealer job. It sounds like even "competent" mechanics are having trouble fixing this leak. I just have real issues with dealership shops, unfortunately I've had some bad experiences.

I guess my next question would be does anyone have a success story having the rear main or flange seal repaired without leaks later on....OR is this part just a ticking time bomb (repaired or not)?

Any idea what a (reasonable) repair would cost in 2020?

Also, any suggestions as to where to find a step-by-step repair for the home mechanic?

3. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

The ones I fixed didn't leak later. I used Threebond and no gasket, you get a kit to fix it from the Importer. Shorter bolts, thicker oring. There was a Service bulletin on it. Labor will be over 10hrs. Motor has to come down, no crabbing CARC frames. The procedure is in the service manual cept for the bulletin.

john zibell likes this.
  4. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Thanks for your input (as always) Steve. We have this job down to a solid 5.5 hours at my shop in Orange.

There's no end-user how-to video that I am aware of. The Service manual covers it.

john zibell likes this.
  5. prairie dog

prairie dog Just got it firing!

Appointment is a probably a week or two out. I can ride it, rides great but when I pull into the garage its like 15 drops on the floor....its no bueno. I put a baking pan under it, I'm a little worried about it getting on the back wheel while riding, but maybe I worry too much. I really like to wrench on my stuff, my internal debate is venture into it myself or let the dealer do it. I think I will wait to see how things unfold after they look at it.