Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Isle Of Man

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Ya Mingle, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Ya Mingle

Ya Mingle Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi all,

Take it some of you here have done the Isle Of Man TT ?

I am seriously considering visiting 2019 for the event and possibly staying for a couple of months.
    Maybe do a bit of work to get to know some locals also. (Live in NZ , born in England)

Any advice from experienced IOM visitors ???

2. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

Make reservations for your accommodations on the Isle of Man NOW, same for ferry crossing if you're ferrying over there with a bike. They get really booked up at TT time.

I have visited the IoM many times since 1998, but I've always stayed with some friends there. I've been to the TT once and the Manx GP about eight times. The TT gets extremely crowded but it's the higher end racing event with lots of pro teams there. The Manx is a bit more low key and (for me) a bit more fun; the IoM isn't as crowded then (late Summer) and the evening comes on earlier, sunrise is later, so I can more easily go out to do photography.

There are lots of things to see and do on the Isle of Man aside from the racing, but in TT season it gets a bit crowded to do any of them. The racing is worth it, however. I like to watch one event from the grandstands/start-finish line and the rest of the events, and practice, from various points around the circuit like Kirkmichael, Creg-ny-Baa, Ballacrine, Parliament Square (in Ramsey), up at Snaefel, etc etc. Getting around is difficult when the roads are closed for practice or an event: For any race or practice session, you really only have time to get to one or two corners (the trials of watching a race on a 37 mile course!). Watch a video or two and study a map of the island and the circuit so you know where things are and all that.

I rode a motorcycle there in the tribute lap in honor of Joey Dunlop. I met Geoff Duke while on the Isle on year, and in another year I met the King and Queen of Norway (? I think it was Norway). I was there for New Years Eve/New Years this past winter, with my friends ...

Love the place. :D

G

jdub and Mark Baker like this.
  3. oldlegs

oldlegs Tuned and Synch'ed

I'm going to the IOM tonight for a week camping to watch the Southern 100 road race, the ferries are much cheaper than TT time and the camp site is only £8 per night and is at the road side which is closed for racing.

4. Godfrey

Sounds like a good time! I wish I could be there.

5. Ya Mingle

Thanks Godfrey for you reply.

Yes, expensive place during the TT, and understandably difficult to get around on the biggest track in the world....

Part of my plan is to also see a Moto GP race before or after the event in Europe.

Not sure which track, though the race at Assen was impressive.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  6. Godfrey

Well, you've got Jul 15 (germany), Aug 5 (czechoslovakia), Aug 12 (austria), Aug 26 (british), Sep 9 (italy), and Sep 23 (spain) to choose from, before the GP circus is off the the East for four events ... :D

The MotoGP race at Assen was mind-blowing! Such an intense race! It doesn't happen like that very often...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  7. Godfrey

Awakening this thread once again...

I'm on the Isleof Man for the ManxGP races (Senior and Lightweight races today!!). Meandered the paddock and pits yesterday before practice ... tons of interesting Guzzis here. And my buddy on the IoM just got himself a '72 Nuevo Falcone 500cc ... a lovely machine!

I'll be here another week and some. Love this place. :)

G

8. Trout

Trout GT Reference

PICS or it didn't happen!

9. Godfrey

Pics a little later, racing is going on, but here's a little teaser video I took at Parliament Square:

It's loading right now, should be available to view shortly.

:D

10. Godfrey

A VERY preliminary edit of some photos at the Manx GP Senior, August 25, 2018:

11. Godfrey

658E4431-94AD-4536-B4B3-92A4225382C5.jpeg

A lovely Moto Guzzi Superalce or some thing like that at the Jurby Airfield yesterday. Looked beautiful and ran well too. The vintage Guzzis make their own particular thumpa thumpa exhaust note when you hear them running next to a Norton or Velocette.

This bike was in the parking lot, a fun mixture of T5, LM1000, and Sport 1100 bits...

29CD4FCF-F8C4-474A-B286-E81170E6782D.jpeg

Sounded lovely and looked tight, well fettled.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  12. Godfrey

Went to the local Vintage Bike Collection in Kirk Michael today. They have a lovely Moto Guzzi 500 Falcone Sport on display:

86D283EF-40DD-44E5-8413-AD1BE88CAD70.jpeg

But what's with the "quirky" bit in the silly sign?

F8A45F1D-0398-4F77-806E-6F8FEBA5433E.jpeg

:D

Some amazing bikes all over the Isle right now.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  13. Trout

Trout GT Reference

On the Victory forum I posted a pic of a 1949 Guzzi & pointed out the USD forks, rear suspension & 4 speed gear box.
    A few of them appreciated how far ahead of the curve Guzzi is.

14. Ya Mingle

Thanks for the great pics, much appreciated...:clap:

15. motoguzziman

motoguzziman Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

GREAT ! :clap: THANKS !