• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Isle Of Man

Ya Mingle

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi all,

Take it some of you here have done the Isle Of Man TT ?

I am seriously considering visiting 2019 for the event and possibly staying for a couple of months.
Maybe do a bit of work to get to know some locals also. (Live in NZ , born in England)

Any advice from experienced IOM visitors ???

Make reservations for your accommodations on the Isle of Man NOW, same for ferry crossing if you're ferrying over there with a bike. They get really booked up at TT time.

I have visited the IoM many times since 1998, but I've always stayed with some friends there. I've been to the TT once and the Manx GP about eight times. The TT gets extremely crowded but it's the higher end racing event with lots of pro teams there. The Manx is a bit more low key and (for me) a bit more fun; the IoM isn't as crowded then (late Summer) and the evening comes on earlier, sunrise is later, so I can more easily go out to do photography.

There are lots of things to see and do on the Isle of Man aside from the racing, but in TT season it gets a bit crowded to do any of them. The racing is worth it, however. I like to watch one event from the grandstands/start-finish line and the rest of the events, and practice, from various points around the circuit like Kirkmichael, Creg-ny-Baa, Ballacrine, Parliament Square (in Ramsey), up at Snaefel, etc etc. Getting around is difficult when the roads are closed for practice or an event: For any race or practice session, you really only have time to get to one or two corners (the trials of watching a race on a 37 mile course!). Watch a video or two and study a map of the island and the circuit so you know where things are and all that.

I rode a motorcycle there in the tribute lap in honor of Joey Dunlop. I met Geoff Duke while on the Isle on year, and in another year I met the King and Queen of Norway (? I think it was Norway). I was there for New Years Eve/New Years this past winter, with my friends ...

Love the place. :D

G

Make reservations for your accommodations on the Isle of Man NOW, same for ferry crossing if you're ferrying over there with a bike. They get really booked up at TT time.

I have visited the IoM many times since 1998, but I've always stayed with some friends there. I've been to the TT once and the Manx GP about eight times. The TT gets extremely crowded but it's the higher end racing event with lots of pro teams there. The Manx is a bit more low key and (for me) a bit more fun; the IoM isn't as crowded then (late Summer) and the evening comes on earlier, sunrise is later, so I can more easily go out to do photography.

There are lots of things to see and do on the Isle of Man aside from the racing, but in TT season it gets a bit crowded to do any of them. The racing is worth it, however. I like to watch one event from the grandstands/start-finish line and the rest of the events, and practice, from various points around the circuit like Kirkmichael, Creg-ny-Baa, Ballacrine, Parliament Square (in Ramsey), up at Snaefel, etc etc. Getting around is difficult when the roads are closed for practice or an event: For any race or practice session, you really only have time to get to one or two corners (the trials of watching a race on a 37 mile course!). Watch a video or two and study a map of the island and the circuit so you know where things are and all that.

I rode a motorcycle there in the tribute lap in honor of Joey Dunlop. I met Geoff Duke while on the Isle on year, and in another year I met the King and Queen of Norway (? I think it was Norway). I was there for New Years Eve/New Years this past winter, with my friends ...

Love the place. :D

G
I'm going to the IOM tonight for a week camping to watch the Southern 100 road race, the ferries are much cheaper than TT time and the camp site is only £8 per night and is at the road side which is closed for racing.

Thanks Godfrey for you reply.

Yes, expensive place during the TT, and understandably difficult to get around on the biggest track in the world....

Part of my plan is to also see a Moto GP race before or after the event in Europe.

Not sure which track, though the race at Assen was impressive.

Last edited:
Well, you've got Jul 15 (germany), Aug 5 (czechoslovakia), Aug 12 (austria), Aug 26 (british), Sep 9 (italy), and Sep 23 (spain) to choose from, before the GP circus is off the the East for four events ... :D

The MotoGP race at Assen was mind-blowing! Such an intense race! It doesn't happen like that very often...

Last edited:
Awakening this thread once again...

I'm on the Isleof Man for the ManxGP races (Senior and Lightweight races today!!). Meandered the paddock and pits yesterday before practice ... tons of interesting Guzzis here. And my buddy on the IoM just got himself a '72 Nuevo Falcone 500cc ... a lovely machine!

I'll be here another week and some. Love this place. :)

G

Pics a little later, racing is going on, but here's a little teaser video I took at Parliament Square:

It's loading right now, should be available to view shortly.

:D

658E4431 94AD 4536 B4B3 92A4225382C5

A lovely Moto Guzzi Superalce or some thing like that at the Jurby Airfield yesterday. Looked beautiful and ran well too. The vintage Guzzis make their own particular thumpa thumpa exhaust note when you hear them running next to a Norton or Velocette.

This bike was in the parking lot, a fun mixture of T5, LM1000, and Sport 1100 bits...

29CD4FCF F8C4 474A B286 E81170E6782D

Sounded lovely and looked tight, well fettled.

Went to the local Vintage Bike Collection in Kirk Michael today. They have a lovely Moto Guzzi 500 Falcone Sport on display:

86D283EF 40DD 44E5 8413 AD1BE88CAD70

But what's with the "quirky" bit in the silly sign?

F8A45F1D 0398 4F77 806E 6F8FEBA5433E

:D

Some amazing bikes all over the Isle right now.

On the Victory forum I posted a pic of a 1949 Guzzi & pointed out the USD forks, rear suspension & 4 speed gear box.
A few of them appreciated how far ahead of the curve Guzzi is.

Back