• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

It's time for a Stelvio tire thread

kwn306

High Miler
OK, my stock rear tire was junk after 4600 miles and I installed a Metzler Z6 with hopes of 9K miles of life.

My stock front tire went 13K and I installed a Metzler Z6 on the front and I am very happy with the grip and feel.

Well my rear Metzler Z6 lasted 8600 miles (that's pretty close to 9K) and I am looking for a replacement. I would love to get more mileage than 8600 miles as that is less than 3 months worth of riding for me.

I am thinking about trying a Michelin Road Pilot 2 (or Pilot Road 2), the local BMW shop tells of 10 - 14K out of the "Z" rated tire on the rear of RT's.

Anyone had any experience with these tires?

BTW, my NTX rear wheel has made it through customs in NY and a carrier pigeon is attempting to get it to VA.

Many thanks to Brian at Corsa Italiana for all his leg work and fussing at MG parts to get me this wheel.......4 months and counting so far. If my Z6 had just held out a little longer. :pinch: :S :blink: :dry:

If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay for the NTX wheel?

If you are going that route, I always had good luck with the Tourances on my GS.

My original Pirelli went 3100 miles.
I switched to the Z6. I got 4500 miles on the first one and 4000 on the second.

If I got 8600 miles, I would be very happy.

As above, my original Pirelli lasted 3000 ish miles, have replaced both pirellis with Continental Road Attacks. They seem to improve the 'feel' and feedback more so than the Pirellis, I hope to god they wear better.

jklotz said:
If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay for the NTX wheel?

If you are going that route, I always had good luck with the Tourances on my GS.

The exchange rate at the time was about $875.00...........but it isn't in my hands yet. I priced a new front wheel assembly from my dealer and they wanted $1354.00, I am thinking about attempting to order one from Europe if the price is better.

My plan is to use Tourances, the rears always lasted me 12K and the fronts between 15K - 18K on either my 1100GS or my Caponord.

Wayne Orwig said:

Wayne,

You do a fair amount of 2 up riding just like me, air up the front tire to 42 psi and air up the rear tire to 45 psi and your mileage will greatly improve. Guzzi's recommendations for tire pressures are just way too low. The Z6 tires will handle the additional air pressures without any problems.

The funny thing that I noticed was that the right side of my tread was worn almost completely off, while the middle still had maybe 2K left worth of tread and the left side probably had another 5K left. The wife and I sat down and went through our dialy ride and figured out I do over twice as many right turns in the course of the day then I do left turns. The center of the Z6 has a harder compound then then right or left side, hence my bald right side tire.

You coming to the VA State Rally this year?

Wow! My original Scorpions have 6100 km ( about 3800 miles on them ) and there is lots of life left. Most of my distance covered is two up, my other half only weighs about 110 on top of my 240. I dont know if it's that or the road surfaces up here in Canada just aren't as bad as I thought. I'm not figuring on having to replace the tires this season with the way they seem to be wearing. I thought I rode this thing reasonably hard. I'm amazed at how little mileage some of you guys have got from your tires.
FBC

I'd be interested to know what pressures you guys are running. I know from my GS days that keeping the rear at 42lbs extended the life of the tire. Could it be the guys getting more miles from the scorps are running a higher pressure?

kwn306 said:
Wayne,

You do a fair amount of 2 up riding just like me, air up the front tire to 42 psi and air up the rear tire to 45 psi and your mileage will greatly improve. Guzzi's recommendations for tire pressures are just way too low. The Z6 tires will handle the additional air pressures without any problems.

Here goes my standard tire rant.

Available traction is controlled by tire temperature. Tire temperature is controlled by tire pressure. The higher the pressure, (never exceed the tire max inflation which is for maximum rated speed with maximum rated load) the lower the temperature. The lower the temperature the longer it will last, and less traction is available. Remember you need traction just to stay vertical, to brake, and don't forget negotiating a turn. Manufactures try to recommend tire pressures that will give a good balance between tire life and good traction. So if your objective is to save a little money on tires, you may spend more in medical bills when you loose traction.

End of rant.

john zibell said:
Here goes my standard tire rant.

Available traction is controlled by tire temperature. Tire temperature is controlled by tire pressure. The higher the pressure, (never exceed the tire max inflation which is for maximum rated speed with maximum rated load) the lower the temperature. The lower the temperature the longer it will last, and less traction is available. Remember you need traction just to stay vertical, to brake, and don't forget negotiating a turn. Manufactures try to recommend tire pressures that will give a good balance between tire life and good traction. So if your objective is to save a little money on tires, you may spend more in medical bills when you loose traction.

End of rant.

Rant taken in the context that it was given, but I have Obamacare and that doesn't cost me anything, only the rest of the country.................. :woohoo: Lord I apologize and please take care of all the starving pygmies in Africa :p :p :p

What you say is true but my old dumb ass has been pushing the envelope for a long, long time. I find it amazing though that 3 psi can double the life of a tire (in the case of Wayne and myself). I have also had the oppurtunity to take my bike and others to VIR in VA and Summit Raceway in W VA and do a fair amount of tire testing on track days to see how much temperature difference there is in "1" psi, "2" psi, etc. There is not much until you push the "3" psi threshold, whether it be 2 up or solo. In talking with M/C specific tire manufactures at these track days I have been told that they all run on the conservative side of the equation. I am all about getting "the butter from the duck" or getting the most mileage out of a set of skins. 95% of all my driving is 2 up back a forth to DC, 145 miles a day, RT 95 between Fredericksburg, VA and Washington, DC does not resemble the Tail of the Dragon, IMHO I think I'm safe. But just remember opinions are like...................and everyone has one.

kwn306 said:
Wayne Orwig said:

Wayne,

The funny thing that I noticed was that the right side of my tread was worn almost completely off, while the middle still had maybe 2K left worth of tread and the left side probably had another 5K left. The wife and I sat down and went through our dialy ride and figured out I do over twice as many right turns in the course of the day then I do left turns. The center of the Z6 has a harder compound then then right or left side, hence my bald right side tire.

You coming to the VA State Rally this year?

I started out running 34 PSI front and 36 rear. I switched to 36 front and 42 rear. At first I thought that had made a huge improvement, but it proved to not help me much at all in the end. My front Pirelli lasted 11,000 miles so it is not a real issue.

Unlike you, my Z6 wears completely out in the center. There is so little rubber left, that I then easily get a puncture. I have had a couple of flats now on the thin rear tires. I am almost wondering it I should try a LOWER rear air pressure. The tire would run hot, but it may not wire out the strip in the center.

With 36 front and 42 rear, riding two up, I'm scraping hard parts in the corners, so traction isn't much of an issue.

Virginia rally. I certainly hope so. But I will likely be on the EV as it pulls 'mule' duty to tow the trailer.

Wayne Orwig said:
I started out running 34 PSI front and 36 rear. I switched to 36 front and 42 rear. At first I thought that had made a huge improvement, but it proved to not help me much at all in the end. My front Pirelli lasted 11,000 miles so it is not a real issue.

Unlike you, my Z6 wears completely out in the center. There is so little rubber left, that I then easily get a puncture. I have had a couple of flats now on the thin rear tires. I am almost wondering it I should try a LOWER rear air pressure. The tire would run hot, but it may not wire out the strip in the center.

With 36 front and 42 rear, riding two up, I'm scraping hard parts in the corners, so traction isn't much of an issue.

Virginia rally. I certainly hope so. But I will likely be on the EV as it pulls 'mule' duty to tow the trailer.

Wayne,

I had issues with scraping hard parts as well, everytime I do the wife starts with the Morse Code on my helmet. One afternoon I pulled over and got off the bike and started cranking clockwise on the spring preload, must have turned it 10 or 15 complete turns, it really stiffened up the rear end, no more wollowing in the rear end and I've only scrapped hard parts once since then. My head doesn't get beat to death either now :lol:

fatal said:
As above, my original Pirelli lasted 3000 ish miles, have replaced both pirellis with Continental Road Attacks. They seem to improve the 'feel' and feedback more so than the Pirellis, I hope to god they wear better.

You say Conti "Road Attacks." Do you mean "Trail Attacks?" That seems to be the front-runner among the GS crowd. Looks like a pretty good tire for the Stelvio too.

Does anyone know anything about the Pirrelli Angels?
A local shop is recommending those. The rear comes in a 180/55R-17, 180/55ZR-17 and a 180-55ZR-17E. :?
No idea which would have the longer life, and the Pirrelli site offers nothing. :x

Wayne Orwig said:
Does anyone know anything about the Pirrelli Angels?
A local shop is recommending those. The rear comes in a 180/55R-17, 180/55ZR-17 and a 180-55ZR-17E. :?
No idea which would have the longer life, and the Pirrelli site offers nothing. :x

Wayne,

Local BMW shop where I have to go for VA State Insp. recommended Michelin Pilot Road 2 or the Pirelli Angels, not the Metezler Z6's. Now mind you they reccomended the Z-6 when my Perille Sync was about bald and granted it did give me over 2x the mileage. I have 1500 miles on the Michelin so far, it is a "Z" rated tire and it sticks like glue. At 1500 miles I was already getting the flat spot on the Z6, no such thing on the Michelin Pilot Road 2.

I get my tires from www.swmototires.com and they were out of stock on the Angels and the Michelin was also a few $$ cheaper at the time, plus they give you free shipping. Had the tire in a week.

I went with Conti Road Attacks. The new Trail Attack looks great, but as with so many other tires, no matching rear is offered in the 180 size. What front tires are you guys going with when using the PR2, Angel, Z06, etc., etc., rears?

bobw said:
I went with Conti Road Attacks. The new Trail Attack looks great, but as with so many other tires, no matching rear is offered in the 180 size. What front tires are you guys going with when using the PR2, Angel, Z06, etc., etc., rears?

I have a Metezler Z6 (V rated) on the front and a Michelin Pilot Road 2 (Z rated) on the rear, bike sticks like glue to the road, haven't been in the rain yet though.

When I test rode the bike at Riders Hill, they had the original sync in front and an angel is the back. I thought it handled better than mine, which has the stock sync's front and back. I might try that route here shortly.

Back