• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

It's time for a Stelvio tire thread

Thanks. I have used the PR2's in the past and I think the Z06 will work with it very well in the rain. It'd be nice to see the Interact Z06 offered in a front 19 inch like they do on the original Z06 and ditto the PR2 and the original Road. I've run a bunch of tires and had several sets of Conti Road and Sport Attacks, they're a good tire and priced well. As I scrubbed them in, I find I've run the rear to the edge even on rainy roads with great feed back/secure feeling, but the front is not quite over as far as I ran the Syncs. I think the extra siping on the syncs told me exactly what was going on and the "smoother" design on the Attacks makes me pay more attention to determine the same point of lean. Not a bad or good thing, just a seat of the pants reflection on the transition to a different tire. I've run mixed tires, but given the choice I like a matched set.

I appreciate these tire threads as I use up many sets a season and the shared info is a great help in future purchases.

Cheers

Been reading about dissatisfaction with the Stelvio's stock Scorpion Sync limited tread life, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Scorpion Trail? It comes in a W-rated 190/55-17 rear and V-rated 110/80-19 front (but H-rated is most common in the 19)-- anybody tried a 190/55 on the Stelvio? Any handling/scraping problems with that height/aspect ratio? Is the Stelvio speedo accurate with the stock Syncs, or is it a little optimistic?

The Trail might be a better all-around tire for longevity, weather, and surface options than the Sync.

Obersvations? Opinions?

wsholar said:
Been reading about dissatisfaction with the Stelvio's stock Scorpion Sync limited tread life, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Scorpion Trail? It comes in a W-rated 190/55-17 rear and V-rated 110/80-19 front (but H-rated is most common in the 19)-- anybody tried a 190/55 on the Stelvio? Any handling/scraping problems with that height/aspect ratio? Is the Stelvio speedo accurate with the stock Syncs, or is it a little optimistic?

The Trail might be a better all-around tire for longevity, weather, and surface options than the Sync.

Obersvations? Opinions?

My speedo is 4 - 5 mph slow at 75 mph, i.e., 75 = 71'ish according to my GPS. No matter what tire I have used.

Thanks, Kurt, good to know. So, it's possible that a 190/55 rear tire could improve the speedo accuracy. I might be willing to be the guinea pig for this tire set in about 4k miles, assuming nobody has any horror stories or good reasons to reconsider.

I noticed the new 190/55 Scorpian Trail and I am puzzled by them skipping over the 180/55 size as they offer it in our beloved Syncs. I believe the 190 is OEM on the new Ducati 1200 Multi Strada. I researched every tire test and bike forum that I could find that had information on rim width, tire sizes that could be safely used, etc. It appears that some tires in specific applications can be used on the next size, e.g., 180/55 on 5.5" rim could be used on 6.0" rim where a 190 would normally be used, etc., but the tires have specifications that the OEM design makes for a "unique" use/application in these circumstances. I did measure a 190/55 (superior to the 190/50 profile IMHO) and my new 180/55 tire and it did not appear it would clear all the hard bits. As it was a sport tire of another brand, I did not want to waste the time to mount it and try the fitment as I wouldn't have wanted the tire even if it did "work". The 190/55 should be a good handling tire and it will leave some extra surface at the same lean angle, but it may affect the turn in rate (a little slower). A large rear tire can start to overwhelm a thinner front, but I don't know at what point it becomes a negative, also the new Duc uses the traditional sport size 120/70-17 in the new tire. If you try it and it fits, it should be a fantastic handling option that I would try for my next set.

Good luck!

Cheers

I saw a Ducati 1000 MultiStrada with a 150/70-17 Metz Karoo's on it. It normally would wear the same Pirelli Syncs in the same 180/55-17 size as our Stelvio. It has a very flat profile and the fitment was a stretch :?: . Makes me wonder how tires like the 160/60-17 Avon Distanza or Pirelli MT60 might work for higher % dirt riding w/o the rim change.

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/...rooT.xml&menu_item=/products/catalog/off_road

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/distanzia-supermoto

http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/tyres-catalog/moto-on_off_road-enduro_street/en_US/MT 60/default.page

0524101134.jpg

0524101134a.jpg

My rear is pretty much shot at 5500 miles. Mt dealer told me they have had good luck with a Perilli Angel on the back and the Sync on the front. Anybody tried this combo? I'm not big on mixing and matching, but I'm also not a big fan of the sync that came stock on it.

My dealer has an Angel on the rear of their rental Stelvio and he is happy with it.

I'm trying a Bridgestone BT021. I have about 1,000 miles and there is no sign of wear so far. I'll know more in about a month.

I now have 2K on my Pilot Road 2 on the rear and a Z6 on the front , riding 2 up on the slab and they are showing no wear at all. My rear Z6 or Sync already had flat spots by this time.

kwn306 said:
jklotz said:
If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay for the NTX wheel?

If you are going that route, I always had good luck with the Tourances on my GS.

...snip...
My plan is to use Tourances, the rears always lasted me 12K and the fronts between 15K - 18K on either my 1100GS or my Caponord.

I used Tourances on my VStrom at one time, but settled on the Battlewings. I really liked the handling, and got a good 10K mi out of a set.

Well... looks like I spoke too soon, since I just purchased another set of scorpion syncs. Having measured my tread depth a week ago I realized I'm going to have to replace tires this year. 6700km, I'll probably make 7000km ,but I don't think it would be all that much more. Oh well. Why syncs again? you ask. I really really like the adhesion and feedback I seem to get.
FBC

My rear should have been replaced before 5000 mi, but it's got to hold out a few more days, around 5500 I suspect. I've ordered a Scorpion Trail to see how it goes, since I only need the rear. The front looks to be good for 10K mi or so.

For those curious, I put a set of the Pirelli Scorpion Trails 110/80 & 190/55 (measured out ~180mm) on Sunday, and not only did they fit well, but I'd say they are on par with the Sync's, if not a little more road oriented. The downside, IMO, is that the carcass stiffness of the rear tire was not in tune with a 550 lb. machine, so I raised the pressures accordingly to compensate. The front was acceptable. Early reports of the Trails, outside of my own, are very good.

40 psi @2200' of elevation here at the Coast. I suspect it will loose ~2 lbs at sea level, so ~38.

Todd,

I was trying to paste your quote about the Pirelli Trails, and instead somehow pasted my last tag in the NYC game of Tag-o-rama!

Anyhow, I'm also ready for a new rear with almost 4k on the OEM Sync. I like the look of the Trail but was worried about the size, 190/55, what do you mean by "measured out 180mm" ? But since you've mounted them, I figure I can! Any more comments on your tire pressure? Any mounting tips?

Thanks!

Attachments

• FamoStelvio.jpg
    FamoStelvio.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 303
I put a Scorpion Trail on the rear last Thursday, and have about 400 mi on it. I can't say I feel any difference, and didn't see any significant difference in the tread. I just hope I can get more than 5K out of it.

Back