• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

It's time for a Stelvio tire thread

famo said:
I like the look of the Trail but was worried about the size, 190/55, what do you mean by "measured out 180mm" ? But since you've mounted them, I figure I can! Any more comments on your tire pressure?
Even though Pirelli calls it a "190" it actually measures 180mm, and has similar clearance to the 180/55. I raised the pressure ~4 lbs. over the stiffer (from what I consider decent for heavy bikes) Dunlops, front and rear to compensate for the soft construction.

Well looks like they are done. I'm replacing the original syncs next week with a set of the same I picked up a month or so back. The front is quite feathered now rear maybe has 1000-2000km left on it. Total mileage out of the originals is 8500km ( 5281 mi. )
FBC

My front sync was replaced at 11,000 mi with probably a couple thousand left on the tred. I tried both sycs on the rear, the stock and the trail, and got around 5,000 mi on each. I put Continentals on it now. The front feels good, the rear seems a little looser than the Pirelli's. Too soon to know life, but the rear doesn't look like it'll do better than 5000.

I just rolled 7K on my rear Mich Pilot Road 2, it will probably go 10 - 12K, this is 90% 2-up riding. It sticks like glue, I have a Met Z6 on the front and it is a noisy damn tire, shows no sign of wear in 7K, hence the noise. :pinch:

GT-Rx said:
Even though Pirelli calls it a "190" it actually measures 180mm, and has similar clearance to the 180/55. I raised the pressure ~4 lbs. over the stiffer (from what I consider decent for heavy bikes) Dunlops, front and rear to compensate for the soft construction.

Hi Todd (and anyone else running Scorpion Trails!),

Looking at Pirelli Scorpion Trails for the Stelvio. They offer the front 11/80/19 in both H and V speed rating for the same price. Any reason to go with one vs. the other? Any other comments on the Scorpion Trails regarding adhesion, rideability, wear? Time for new tires on my Stelvio and am considering these.

Thank you for any input,
cg

I put a trail on the rear. Too wide for the hugger, but otherwise couldn't really tell any difference from the sync. Lasted 5,000 mi, same as the sync.

cgalardi said:
Hi Todd (and anyone else running Scorpion Trails!),
Looking at Pirelli Scorpion Trails for the Stelvio. They offer the front 110/80/19 in both H and V speed rating for the same price. Any reason to go with one vs. the other? Any other comments on the Scorpion Trails regarding adhesion, rideability, wear? Time for new tires on my Stelvio and am considering these.
Hi Chris, I'm not personally running the Trails, but I have put several sets on other L.A. Stelvios... So I can't comment on them outside of fit, which is fine. However, the feedback I have been getting is as good as the Sync's. Always go with a 'V' rating over an 'H.'
For me, I'm in the middle of yet another long story/journey with having two sets of wheels; a rear NTX rim (below) mated to the stock front with Conti TKC's knobbies, and I'm in the middle of an Alpina custom build 3.5x18" for the front to match the 5.5x17" rear.

Keith, the 190 interferes with the hugger?

Attachments

• NTXwheelPreview.jpg
    NTXwheelPreview.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 330
Thanks for the feedback on the Scorpion Trails fellas. Should be here in the next couple days.

Has anybody posted a comprehensive list of all tires that will fit a Stelvio? Might not be a bad idea to make that a sticky.

jklotz said:
Has anybody posted a comprehensive list of all tires that will fit a Stelvio? Might not be a bad idea to make that a sticky.

We had one at one time. I believe it got lost in the board crash.

With a 180/55/17 rear it would be a pretty looong list.

yes, for the rear, but factor in that front and it becomes an odd size combination. I am mixing tires at the moment, but I'd feel more comfortable using the same brand and same model. There can't be that many options, are there?

I think u r right factoring in the front if u want a matching combination. I will start poking around and documenting whatever I find.

Here are the matching sets (110/80/19 & 180/55/17) I have found so far (I think all actually mentioned in this thread)

Metzeler Roadtec z6
Michelin Pilot Road
Pirelli Scorpion Sync
Pirelli Scorpion Trail (190/55/17 rear)

I have fitted a pair of Continental Road Attacks in the standard sizes. Also Dunlop list the Roadsmart which I know poeple are fitting to BMW GS's.

So we now have :

Metzeler Roadtech
Michelin Pilot Road
Pirelli Scorpion Sync
Pirelli Scorpion Trail
Continental Road Attack
Dunlop Roadsmart

fatal said:
I have fitted a pair of Continental Road Attacks in the standard sizes. Also Dunlop list the Roadsmart which I know poeple are fitting to BMW GS's.

So we now have :

Metzeler Roadtech
Michelin Pilot Road
Pirelli Scorpion Sync
Pirelli Scorpion Trail
Continental Road Attack
Dunlop Roadsmart

Wait a minute folks, you will need to compile two lists, one for the US and one for the rest of the world. There are wheel size differences. :evil:

The dunlop and continentals are available in the 110/80x19 front, and 180/55x17 rear as I believe are the others currently on the list.
For the narrower rear fitted to the NTX, I will hazard a guess as the wheel sizes are the same as the BMW GS1150 that I had.
Meteler tourance
Continental Escape, TKC, Conti Trail attack, Conti road attack
Avon Distanzia
Michelin Anakee
Bridgestone 020,021,023, battlewing

Over the six years I had my 1150GS, I had fitted: Metzeler Tourance, Bridgestone 020, Conti Trail Attack. They all worked well on tarmac, particularly the 020 as it was a pure road tyre, the trail attack worked very well on tarmac and was ok on hard packed dirt/gravel, the tourance was even better on the dirt yet still pretty good on tarmac, as ever it's a compromise.
I've no intention of using my Stelvio off tarmac so it'll get pure road tyres. My old BMW R100GS occassionly goes on dirt tracks and is fitted with Tourance.

kwn306 said:
Wait a minute folks, you will need to compile two lists, one for the US and one for the rest of the world. There are wheel size differences. :evil:
Hence why tire threads are endless...

Dunlop does not offer a 110/80-19 Roadsmart here in the States, only a D607 with a non-mated rear (optional D616). The Pirelli Sync has been discontinued (for now) in the States (still being available in Europe I am told), leaving only the Trails in a 110/80 & 190/55 rear. Z6 and the Contis are the only other options, making it simple unless you've went to a NTX 4.25" rear rim like a few of us now.

fatal said:
Bridgestone 020,021,023,

I'm running a Bridgestone BT021 on the rear now. I had gone through 4 tires in under 15,000 miles. The BT021 has about 4000 miles, it is just starting to show wear.

It appears to maybe slide a little more under heavy braking, so I assume the traction is lower. I haven't noticed any real problems though.

I like forest roads a lot, and it has done fine for me in the gravel and dirt.

Anything where I don't need to buy a new tire every couple of months.

I just returned from a cross country ride, I melted my rear Conti Road Attack very early (unusual as I have run multiple Road and Sport Attacks in the past, pressure was good, etc.) and I was able to get the old Pilot Road for the back. Almost 10K and although pretty well used up, it is still not at wear bars :shock: (never got that far before). Sadly, I have not been able to locate the matching front listed anymore so it may be another matched set option going away. My front Conti Road Attack has some mild cupping, but held up very well. I'm sitting on the fence on getting another matched set of Conti's or trying the new Pirelli syncs with the 190 rear.

cheers

Back