• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'Jerky' engine braking

Oldman

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hello good people. Despite virus lockdown I have finally managed to accumulate enough kms for the first service which was done yesterday in Huelva. I have noticed though that engine braking has become rather sudden, jerky, sort of on-off on throttle closing. It has been like this for the last few hundred km and is still like it after the first service and valve adjustment. I particularly am aware of this because I live 5km down a rough track, very steep in places, and I remarked to myself when I got the MG how strong and smooth the engine braking was compared to my other bike which is a Ducati Desert Sled. I plan a remap and Mistral shorty pipes but I don't want to change anything until the bike is running stock as well as it can. Sorry if I have been a bit clumsy in describing the issue but anybody any ideas as to what I am seeing?

Engine braking is the result of rider input through the throttle and clutch, both under the control of the rider. I don't understand what you are experiencing.

Well I guess that is my poor description. As I throttle down then at a point it is as if I slammed the brakes on. So the response curve is not smooth, it has a discontinuity in it which was not there before. I do wonder if this is the fuel actually being cut off completely. So even though, as you say, the throttle is under my control, there is a point where a miniscule closure of the throttle slams the engine braking on, Does that make it clearer?

If this has no connection to downshifting and is purely throttle related, I'd discuss it with the dealer. I don't really understand. It sounds like you have shifted into a lower gear than necessary. I haven't experienced anything similar to what you describe.

Thanks for that but this is all in the same gear. It is most notable in first or second in a steep hill descent at 15 kmh. I also have a Ducati Desert Sled because of the terrain where I live and it became way, way smoother on both acceleration and deceleration when I fittwd a booster plug and my experience with that is why I am thinking this is maybe fueling.

I would discuss with dealer. I'd call it an unusually sensitive throttle response issue rather than engine braking.

Is it only noticeable on deceleration? How does it feel when you are trying to hold a steady throttle or slight acceleration at low speeds (such as navigating a parking lot)?

__Jason

Hello Jason. Because the MG has a dry clutch I slip the clutch much less than I am used to with bikes which have wet clutches so I would say that at the moment it is more 'jerky' than I would like in parking lots. The same steep track that I have to descend to my home I have to ascend to leave and the MG is way less smooth than my other bike both up and down. I do see the traction control flash too but I have reduced that from 2 to 1 now and will probably turn it off to eliminate it from the equation. On steady throttle setting at any degree of open or close it is all good, no hunting at all. Thanks for looking. Mark

Oldman...
Is your throttle cable operated, or electric... (you don't give the bike year)

No small block outside of the V85TT (so far) is ride by wire. I suspect either the Traction Control (TC) and/or the fueling could be causing your issue, yes. I do not allow product discussion here other than what is listed in the Store tab above, that I have worked long, hard and invest largely in, and after proven to work 100%, sell them. This issue is not new if you spend just a little time searching this topic in this section. Please do.

oldman -- I have the same problem with my V7 III on the San Diego's streets. There are two causes. Primary is Traction Control System. Refer to your Owner Manual on how to adjust/disable it (you have to do it every time you turn the ignition on). Secondary is throttle cable slack. This is adjusted at the handlebar as depicted by Hippo-Drones. A possible cause is fuel but I assume you are using the highest octane at quality distributors per the Owner Manual. If you aren't then buy a Royal Enfield.

I think your traction control has been set to 2.....all sorts of malfeasance will follow
After the scary thing of pressing the engine start button whilst the engine is running and expecting the starter motor to explode I have now managed to turn it off so once the mud has dried out from our latest downpour I will venture out to test. Thanks!

oldman -- I have the same problem with my V7 III on the San Diego's streets. There are two causes. Primary is Traction Control System. Refer to your Owner Manual on how to adjust/disable it (you have to do it every time you turn the ignition on). Secondary is throttle cable slack. This is adjusted at the handlebar as depicted by Hippo-Drones. A possible cause is fuel but I assume you are using the highest octane at quality distributors per the Owner Manual. If you aren't then buy a Royal Enfield.
Hello! I just replied on traction control and have done the scary thing of pressing engine start button with engine running so will have a result soon. Will check free play of throttle so thanks for that. All fuel where I am in Spain is at least 5% ethanol, nothing I can do about it. Often it is 10% but so far Imhave not had tonuse that in the MG. I will have to though, I bought it as a touring bike and in France 10% is all you can get. I also choose 98 octane when I can but I read that maybe that is a mistake and 95 is best for this low compression engine. I spent many happy hours thinking MG or Royal Enfield? I made a list of what I would do to a RE Interceptor, costed it and then bought the V7. It is a beautiful bike, rides fabulously but I do want to get it running right as stock before I mess with it. I do miss a rev counter though....

I am an old geez not accustomed to the menu driven "features". I really rebel at the concept of hitting the starter on a running engine. I was EXCEEDINGLY unhappy with my V7 racer III in its first seventy miles...then I checked the traction control. Yeppers, setting it to 1 solved my issues. This tranny tolerates downshifting and engine braking really well if traction 2 is not selected and for whatever reason, that is how the dealers seem to set them. I find this engine/tranny very friendly now. best of luck

Throttle twist grip free play. Well I have checked and I have some with no binding on either lock. I have searched the service manual and cannot find any specification as to 'how much free play' there should be. Anybody know?

Throttle twist grip free play. Well I have checked and I have some with no binding on either lock. I have searched the service manual and cannot find any specification as to 'how much free play' there should be. Anybody know?

As little as possible. Just enough that it returns to idle easily. Also the return cable should pull the throttle body(s) closed.

Back