• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Just a few questions about an 07 norge

Mumbufuku

Just got it firing!
Hello!
I recently purchased an 07 norge with 30k, I absolutely love the bike, and while not perfect,it sure as shit beats my old 82 Suzuki gs1100!

Anyway I had a few questions about the bike
1. It sounds like the fuel pump is extra loud, i can actually hear it from a couple hundred feet away. Is this normal? Does this bike have a serviceable fuel filter? I had the tank off and there were two hoses that look like they go into the air box. 1 hose went in no problem, the other hose seemed like it was too small for the second hole on the airbox. Could that whining noise come from the tube that isn't connected?
2. I'm due for the alternator belt replacement. Is there any places you can rent MG tools from, or better yet, make a tool for alternator belt tensioning? I'm an Acura tech by trade, so wrenching on the bike is no big deal.
3. I've looked into getting the mistral v-twin boost to even out the on-off throttle. Has anyone used one? Are they worth it?
4. My bike is equipped with an oil cooler but i found a KTM sticker on the bottom of it. It also doesn't have a fan on the back of it. Is this how the OEM did it or is this an aftermarket oil cooler?
5. My plastic saddle bags are 100% NOT waterproof. Does a seal kit exist to make them waterproof or at least water resistant?
6. The girlfriend isn't happy that there is no back rest on the pillion seat. I've looked into top cases and backrest and just wanted to hear your thoughts on different options. I only need the top case to function as a back rest.

Answers are cut in.

Hello!
I recently purchased an 07 norge with 30k, I absolutely love the bike, and while not perfect,it sure as shit beats my old 82 Suzuki gs1100!

Anyway I had a few questions about the bike
1. It sounds like the fuel pump is extra loud, i can actually hear it from a couple hundred feet away. Is this normal? Does this bike have a serviceable fuel filter? I had the tank off and there were two hoses that look like they go into the air box. 1 hose went in no problem, the other hose seemed like it was too small for the second hole on the airbox. Could that whining noise come from the tube that isn't connected?

Sounds like you should replace the fuel filter. The service manual is available in the downloads, and you will find plenty of posts on fuel filter replacement. I like to use loctite 518 on the sort of re-useable gasket. Also use the loctite gasket cleaner befor application of the 518m even with a new gasket it is tricky to get it to seal.
2. I'm due for the alternator belt replacement. Is there any places you can rent MG tools from, or better yet, make a tool for alternator belt tensioning? I'm an Acura tech by trade, so wrenching on the bike is no big deal.

The tool isn't really needed. The issue is the service manual says to tighten on the tool to a specific torque, but that torque figure isn't provided. Just adjust the new belt so you can get a 90 degree twist in the belt at the mid point. Too tight isn't good, it just needs to drive the alternator.

3. I've looked into getting the mistral v-twin boost to even out the on-off throttle. Has anyone used one? Are they worth it?

Most likely a waste of money. Many threads on fueling here and the answer is in the store tab.

4. My bike is equipped with an oil cooler but i found a KTM sticker on the bottom of it. It also doesn't have a fan on the back of it. Is this how the OEM did it or is this an aftermarket oil cooler?

Never had a fan.
5. My plastic saddle bags are 100% NOT waterproof. Does a seal kit exist to make them waterproof or at least water resistant?

You could replace the gasket perhaps, but still not all that water tight.

6. The girlfriend isn't happy that there is no back rest on the pillion seat. I've looked into top cases and backrest and just wanted to hear your thoughts on different options. I only need the top case to function as a back rest.

Top case with pad is probably the way to go. Hepco Becker makes a good one and the rack to mount it to the bike.

Also a good tune up may help your running issues. See the thread https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/new-alaris-centurion-vdsts-info-instructions.1676/ You do need software to do an electronic reset of the TPS. In fact, I'd recommend reading all the sticky threads in the Chat and Tech info, CARC, and Breva and Norge sections.

Welcome to the Guzzi affliction!!

Well that was fast! Thank you so much!!!
I assume the ecu reflash tool would do the same thing as the alaris right?
Also is resetting the throttle position sensor really that big of a deal? What makes them fail or need to be reset all the time?

Last edited:
Givi also do a top case and fittings for the Norge. You can also get a Guzzi one - at a price.
Actually I don't think the TPS does ever drift. But the linkage between the bodies does which will affect the TPS setting.

My experience is that once the TPS has been set, having to balance the throttle bodies at a later time because the linkage has moved actually brings the TPS back to the correct setting.

Tip. A drop of locktite on the linkage adjuster screw stops it drifting.

Apropos the top case, what color is your Norge ... the slower silver or faster red? :giggle:

Seriously, I have a red Norge --and Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess who feels as your girlfriend does -- but a silver "spare." Erm, spare top case, not wife! :inlove:

You are welcome to the top case for nada other than $hipping (which might be expensive) ... or come to the western N.Y. rally (Westfield; 7-9 June) and pick it up. Or, FTM, if near the top of Virginia, visit the Moto Grappa and take it.

BTW, think that there was a recall on the OEM top case that involved a slightly different attachment mechanism as some claimed to have had the top case go flying -- tho no wives, girlfriends, or SO's dismounted as a result ... at least not at same time! ;) If fix no longer available, easily remedied with drill and fasteners.

Bill

Apropos the top case, what color is your Norge ... the slower silver or faster red? :giggle:

Seriously, I have a red Norge --and Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess who feels as your girlfriend does -- but a silver "spare." Erm, spare top case, not wife! :inlove:

You are welcome to the top case for nada other than $hipping (which might be expensive) ... or come to the western N.Y. rally (Westfield; 7-9 June) and pick it up. Or, FTM, if near the top of Virginia, visit the Moto Grappa and take it.

BTW, think that there was a recall on the OEM top case that involved a slightly different attachment mechanism as some claimed to have had the top case go flying -- tho no wives, girlfriends, or SO's dismounted as a result ... at least not at same time! ;) If fix no longer available, easily remedied with drill and fasteners.

Bill
Givi also do a top case and fittings for the Norge. You can also get a Guzzi one - at a price.
Actually I don't think the TPS does ever drift. But the linkage between the bodies does which will affect the TPS setting.

My experience is that once the TPS has been set, having to balance the throttle bodies at a later time because the linkage has moved actually brings the TPS back to the correct setting.

Tip. A drop of locktite on the linkage adjuster screw stops it drifting.

I assume balancing the throttle bodies is similar to syncing carbs right? Do you need software to balance the throttle bodies or is there a manual gauge that would work?
I've noticed that in slow traffic when revs are below 3k the bike lurches and surges violently. There is no smooth transition with the throttle no matter how gently i move it. It sounds like my clutch is slamming against the flywheel which I'm sure is not good at all.
The throttle sync should eliminate most of this?

Last edited:
Back