Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Just waiting for my bike to be fixed...

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by mojohand, Jul 28, 2009.

1. mojohand

mojohand Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks, everyone.

Right now I just want to get the bike back, ride with the pulsing brakes, and pursue the warranty separately. Jonesing to ride.

2. GrahamNZ

GrahamNZ High Miler

mojohand

I suggest you try a search for warped discs. IMHO, and many others, warped discs are rare. Tight mounting bobbins are common, as is pad deposit buildup from lack of hard use.

My Breva had brake shudder at low speeds and that was traced to tight bobbins, which I loosened and posted about. Now at 40,000km with original pads and the brakes are one of the bike's strongest points.

3. FrostBittenCanadian

FrostBittenCanadian Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

If the rotors are suspected as warped ,check 'em. Use a dial caliper or mount the end of a 6" rule next to surface of disc and rotate the wheel. Watch for variation in the distance from the end of the ruler.
    FBC

4. ncassidy

ncassidy Cruisin' Guzzisti

I affixed a dial caliper to my front rotors and did find some variance. Not a whole lot, about .5000 or so. Not sure if that is enough to cause vibration. I have gone the rivet route and loosened them up or freed them up, making sure they all turned in the hole. Made no difference. Installed new pads, no difference. Next thing is to replace the rotors. Winter project.

5. GrahamNZ

GrahamNZ High Miler

ncassidy

Runout of 0.5mm is enough to rate as a distorted disc IMHO.

These photos show the runout on my Breva. In inches, sorry. 1 and 1.5 thou respectively. 0.5mm = 20 thou!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the main causes of (rare) disc distortion is careless handling during tyre changes. That's probably why manufacturers tend to decline warranty claims on warped discs. If a bike still has original tyres fitted then that excuse loses validity.

6. mojohand

The dealer took the wheel off and ran it through a caliper--no warpage detected. So I'm going to try to "free up the bobbins" (still not sure exactly what that means--would love to see pics from someone showing us what to do) and ride.

7. FrostBittenCanadian

FrostBittenCanadian Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

ncassidy/Graham: I agree 0.5mm /20 thou. is a warped disc.
    fbc

8. Gary

Gary Cruisin' Guzzisti

My right disc had the pulsating brake effect on the Stelvio, changed under warrenty.

9. Mike.C

Mike.C GT Reference

mojohand wrote:
    Some pics and info in THIS Breva thread.

10. baloches

baloches Cruisin' Guzzisti

Remove the disc carriers from the wheel and on the back side of each bobbin you will see a thin washer beneath the roll of the rivet. Use a thin flat screwdriver to separate the flat washer from the petal shaped spring by approx .030" all around. this will allow some clearance to free up the bobbins and the rotor will move freely on the carrier. Reinstall the carriers with loctite.

This is probably a one beer job, depending how thirsty you are B)

11. mojohand

Thanks--I'd forgotten about that post.

12. Greg Field

Greg Field Cruisin' Guzzisti

The dealership at which I work has replaced many truly warped discs. Did two more today. We always try the bobbin trick first.

13. GrahamNZ

GrahamNZ High Miler

Greg

What method is used to decide that all those disks are truly warped?

I've been using discs since 1973 and never once found a truly warped one.

14. mojohand

picked up the bike today. It's so good to be riding again--it's been a month. A month!? Egads!