Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Kamloops to Princeton, B. C. on Hwy 5a

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by bb49, May 2, 2017.

1. bb49

bb49 Tuned and Synch'ed

Finally Mother Nature has briefly smiled down on us and she parted the clouds long enough to do a very nice ride today.

First things first, pump up the tires. The bike hadn't moved for two weeks.
    IMG_5249.JPG

Then off to Costco to fuel up and we're off.
    Highway 5a runs from Kamloops through the town of Merritt and then south to Princeton, BC. The first half it runs along side numerous lakes and rolling hills, perfect for cattle ranching.

The turn-off to Stump Lake Ranch. Circa 1883
    IMG_5251.JPG

Quilchena Hotel, circa 1905
    IMG_5253.JPG

South of Merritt the countryside changes. Less open country, more trees and more curves. Yahoo.
    Some nice curves coming up.
    IMG_5254.JPG

200 Kms later, I've reached my destination. The A & W at Princeton. Consistently good burgers. And coffee too!
    IMG_5256.JPG

Some old technology outside Princeton. I didn't even know they had an airport!
    IMG_5257.JPG

And then it's time to head home.

A brief stop to stretch the legs and take in the long overdue warmth.
    IMG_5259.JPG

An old church just north of Merritt.
    IMG_5261.JPG

The hills are finally greening up. No shortage of rain for that, just too bloody cold until now.
    IMG_5266.JPG

Shumway Lake. Last stop before home.
    IMG_5272.JPG

Home, and this is what greeted me. Thought I would one-up you Bill Hagan!;)
    IMG_5273.JPG

400 kms of riding, some crazy kids at the house, and I deserve this.
    IMG_5275.JPG

Highway 5a is one of my favourites. Very little traffic, great scenery, smooth pavement and simply a great motorcycle road. Got to do it a couple of times a year.

Bill Hagan and Moto_Max like this.
  2. Moto_Max

Moto_Max Cruisin' Guzzisti

I miss that stretch of hwy! I did it monthly. Start in Surrey taking the 1 and go through to Kelowna up to Vernon for the night and then up to Kamloops and back into Surrey. Catch the ferry to BC Island and go from Victoria up to Campbell River back down to Nanaimo and then down to Seattle to catch my flight home to Southern Ca.

The 5 and 5a is very nice and I do really miss it. Some of the best, peaceful, most beautiful stretch of highways I've been on. But it's not curvy enough for me on a bike.

3. bb49

bb49 Tuned and Synch'ed

Moto Max,
    5a definitely doesn't have the twisting that others do, such as your state highway 36. I did it a few years ago. Amazing!

4. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    Just saw this.

Very nice photos.

Will have to visit Google and wander around maps and pix to get a better feel of where all that is. I've been to Vancouver and "lower" B.C. a bit, and spent a month in Edmonton in a universe far away -- I shook Princess Diana's hand then, but that's another story :clap: -- but have little knowledge of that part of (y)our world.

As for one-upping me, cute (seriously), but we have 13 of the little creatures (ages 1 thru 10!) and we might have to start a new thread. :rofl:

Off now to kill Allegheny mound ants by the bazillon. Pix of last year, below. Kathi has her priorities and I must obey. :inlove:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How's that for thread drift? :giggle:

Seriously, thanks for posting yours. I really enjoy other folks' ride pix and stories.

Bill

5. farmboy460

farmboy460 Tuned and Synch'ed

Highway 3 from the Alberta border to Hope. That's a great road.