• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Keep blowing 30a fuse

Grisoman

Just got it firing!
Hope someone can point me in the right direction...I did do a search, but it hasn't been much help. I have a 2011 8V se she keeps blowing 30a fuses...the one on the clutch side. Once the fuse has blown the starter motor won't turn over, the headlight doesn't work (the small parking light comes on though). When I replaced the fuse I also replaced the headlight bulb, the high beam came on when I used the handlebar flash switch. The bike runs, but the headlight doesn't come on...once the bike is turned off, it won't start. I've cleaned the battery leads, looked at as many connections as possible, even checked the earth on the ECU...any suggestions?

Edit: I was just linked via PM to the thread on WG on this, and noted that you are running my core ECU re-flash and PC-V/AT. Why didn't you post this?
So you now have the stock ECU back on, and everything back to stock and all is OK, correct? With just the ECU in place, did it blow the fuse? All of my cores are test ran by me, but things can happen. I'll follow up via direct e-mail.

Hey Todd...didn't want to get into the ECU PCV Auto tune because I don't think it's related and I didn't want people thinking they could possibly run into problems with that combo. The bike has done about three hundred miles since the initial install, I just feel if it were a wiring situation from the installation it would have shown up straight away...but I'm certainly no expert! I put the original ECU back in but still have the PCV and Auto Tune connected...I wanted to rule out the flashed ECU. It still blew a fuse when I started...only ran for a few seconds because I have a map installed and wasn't sure if running it like that would be a good idea. Next step would be to take off the PCV and AutoTune which is a real drag as I really took a lot of time to install it!

I wired the PCV to a bolt on the cylinder head as per the instructions...the only other thing I did that could be a problem was get the power for the auto tune from a live orange wire going into the rear fuse box. Again I just felt that if there was a problem with the wiring, it would have shown up fairly quickly. To complicate things a little, the guy who owned the bike before me has wired it for just about every accessory know to man. It seems to be wired well. Power from the battery to a separate fuse box...but there are wires running all over the place. I've never enjoyed having anything other than an outlet for a heated jacket on my bikes.

I'm thinking, because the fuse blows right after start up it could be a voltage regulator issue.....

I had a similar problem on my Breva. The cause was the speed sensor cable had rubbed on the front rotor and chaffed through. The fuse blow out was intermittent. It would run then the sensor cable would come in contact with the rotor and the fuse would blow. Re routing the sensor cable and electrical tape fixed the fault till a new sensor was fitted.

These things can turn up in strange places.

I had the same problem on my 2010 SE - went through quite a lot of fuses when it blew intermittently until eventually had a constant (dead) short - so had to pay for an expensive tow one night (Ghezzi has his phone turned off).

Did a whole bunch of things all at once (cleaned all the connections, tested battery, replaced relays, light bulbs, had alternator tested etc - all seemed fine) so not sure what exactly was the solution but in the end, I think it was the battery earth connection near the starter motor. It looked pristine before taking it off, when it was taken off, it has some green oxidation under it. Cleaned it up and added a copper washer. That was Pete Roper's first suggestion - do that first even if it looks perfect.

Final found the reason why the Griso kept blowing 30amp fuses...well I didn't...after checking everything I could think of I gave up and left the bike with the dealer in Fort Myers. Sixteen hours later they found the problem. It was that the tank had been rubbing on two wires within the wiring harness...it was so hard to find the tech had to cut the harness open to see the wires that had rubbed through and shorted. They were gracious enough to cut the time in half, but still serious money. I've asked them to put a claim into Guzzi, because I know I didn't take the tank off...and I have no way of knowing if the guy before me had taken it off and caught the wires when he put it back on. At this stage I'm just glad they found the problem.!

Back