• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Key lost, New ignition switch bought- Now they cant figure code out

geebee

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Here's my sad and sorry tale. I've been riding my 2007 Griso since buying if from a "second owner" in 2009. I was given only one key for the bike and never had a second made up. My BAD.

Few months ago I lost the one and only key so had to go to the dealer and buy the new ignition switch kit that comes with 2- new keys, a new gas cap , new seat lock and ignition switch. BAD- $250.

Dealer just called to say that the factory security setting (5-diget number) has been changed. The factory set code is not working the VIN # digits aren’t working and if they or their locksmith can’t hack it, I’ll be needing a new dash.-VERY BAD.

Searched the forum here for info and found the factory settings (that my dealer should have) but passed them on anyways. Anybody been faced with this problem?

Please note, if you haven’t - make sure you have a spare key tucked away someplace. I’ve got the feeling this is going to be an expensive lesson learned…

Once again not having the user code will bite you. The dash can be programmed to your new keys by Carmo. They can probably reset the user code as well. http://www.carmo.nl/

This lack of information seems to bite many folks. I strongly recommend not purchasing a used bike without two keys and setting a user code with those keys if the code isn't supplied by the seller. Best if the seller provides the codes and 2 keys.

Did they try the diagnostics code. Some people use that to make it simple to remember.

Also try 00001 or 10000. Just guesses but have seen a few people use this since the computer is so slow in putting in numbers.

Thanks for that John, I'll check the link out. Like I said- a teachable moment for others, a chunk out of my credit reserve for me:eek:.
Back when I bought the bike in 2009 I had no idea about the Guzzi security system. Jeeze they went all out!

The service guy mentioned they were trying a lot of variations such as VIN and the 12345 ect. Said they would call in a locksmith to see if he could "hack" it.

Well I'm back on the road and it's not all bad news, I didn't have to buy a new $900 computer. The locksmith the dealer uses was able to hack into the computer and reset everything. He's done this a few times before but had a bit of problem getting the two new MotoGuzzi issued keys to be recognized, so he cut two new aftermarket keys and had success getting their chips to work. Locksmith cost-$250 along with the expected $157 for the dealer to change out the ignition, gas cap and seat lock.

I now have 4 keys- the two aftermarket keys which start the bike and open everything and the two Guzzi issued keys that can open the locks but not start the bike. Lesson learned.

If I was braver than I really am, I'd take the running bike (aftermarket key) turn if off- insert the Guzzi key and immediately try a restart. I've heard that if you have a Guzzi duplicate key recognized through this procedure... but since I've mucked it up enough this year, I'll not attempt this in case I dig myself a deeper pit.

geebee, there is a procedure to learn new keys in the Breva 1100 service manual. https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/resources/breva-1100-general-service-manual.24/ It shouldn't mess up the currently recognized keys. But you do have two working keys and that should be sufficient. Now, since you have two working keys, you can do a user code reset and have a known user code if you don't already. The procedure for that is in the same manual. Many use the service code as the user code to keep things simple.

geebee be careful when you do the "Learn" procedure. You have to have all the keys present and quickly accessible - don't ask me how I know. Also you have to have all the keys you want to use for the computer to "re-learn". - again don't ask me how I know.

Back