• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lafranconi accessory mufflers

Hydrolastic

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I recently got a set of the Lafranconi accessory mufflers for the Cal 1400. Along with photos I have seen of the accessory pipes for the MGX-21, the circlip for the baffle appears to have a brace welded in after installation (along with burn marks on the baffle). Does anyone know if this is easy to remove without grinding or cutting the piece out? I'd like to have the option of running either with or without the baffle, and I don't want to risk tearing anything up with a Dremel if I don't have to. Also, does anyone know if the 80 dbA rating is with or without the baffle? I am curious, since all of the photos of the current and previous part numbers show the mufflers without a baffle installed.

Thanks,
Dave

20210212 115149

I don't have this particular motorcycle nor have I ever seen one of these exhausts up close and personal.

That being said, here is my take on what I see in your photo.

The manufacturer has gone to great lengths, to make it fairly clear about how they have "stopped" the customer from being able to alter the pipe in its homologated form. You can plainly see the circlip in a groove, holding in the cap. This circlip has been "modified" to prevent the consumer from removing it. They put 2 very hasty and plainly visible spot welds.

Lfexhst

Are the spot welds part of the original design? No. Circlips by design, don't require any welding to stay fixed in place and had Lafranconi wanted the pipe completely sealed, they have the machinery to easily do that, but this alteration was done to obtain homologation for import/export.

Now remember, and I make no judgement here, but making alterations to a EPA Certified exhaust system for a motor vehicle, is a Federal crime. I am not suggesting that you modify your legal exhaust pipe.

That being said, I would wager the farm that if those two spot welds were to somehow fail and separate from the ends of the circlip, but in failing, they accidentally left intact those nice little holes at the ends, and then if a pair of circlip pliers accidentally fell out of the tool box and landed in those circlip holes at the ends, thereby inadvertently removing the circlip, then without question, I think that cap might fall out along with anything on the inside that you might guess is in there, as well.

If that were to accidentally happen, then it would be very fortuitous that you conveniently had those circlip pliers so that thanks to the preservation of those nice little holes at the ends of the circlip, you could put that cap back on and reinstall the circlip back to hold the cap in place like it was before this whole theoretical messy accident occurred in the first place. It would be as if nothing had happened, provided you didn't accidentally forget to put something back in. But this is all hypothetical anyway right?

That's how I see it.

Wish I could help you with that dilemma of yours but that would be illegal. Don't mess with your exhaust system. It's against the law.

Last edited:
I recently got a set of the Lafranconi accessory mufflers for the Cal 1400. Along with photos I have seen of the accessory pipes for the MGX-21, the circlip for the baffle appears to have a brace welded in after installation (along with burn marks on the baffle). Does anyone know if this is easy to remove without grinding or cutting the piece out? I'd like to have the option of running either with or without the baffle, and I don't want to risk tearing anything up with a Dremel if I don't have to. Also, does anyone know if the 80 dbA rating is with or without the baffle? I am curious, since all of the photos of the current and previous part numbers show the mufflers without a baffle installed.

Thanks,
Dave

View attachment 21543

hi Dave,

I bought these in November and spent a happy three hours dremeling (is that a word?) the welds out. I didn’t hurt anything but it was a job and a half. I didn’t read the lengthy other reply here, but the reason they’re welded is that they can’t be sold as street legal if they don’t have the baffles in.

Obviously they know that you’ll take them out - but LaFranconi can’t be blamed if you do.

Anyway, of course you’ll remove them because everyone does.

It’s hard, but the small Dremel burrs do the job. Use lots of protective tape too. Get them to a point where you can insert a spudger and start to try to fatigue the remaining weld.

When you remove them, you have the choice of in or out.

They’re loud when out, so for a trip, or the annual inspection here in the UK, I’ll replace them. They’re definitely made for removing and you never see a photo with them in anywhere.

Just do it and have the choice.

As long as they’re in, you’re legal. It’s just Lafranconi can’t say they’re removable for legal reasons.

paul

It's odd. It's designed to be tampered with, but not easily. So LaFranconi can legitimately say it wasn't supposed to be tampered with and have plausible deniability.

Of course they are tampered with by every buyer. There would be zero point buying the LaFranconis otherwise. But at least LF are in the clear.

One minute somebody bashes me because I don’t write enough. The next, because I write too much...

Sorry. No insult intended. I had just woken here in the UK so skim read your message. This is a topic dear to my heart as I looked at my new pipes for about 2 weeks before summing up the courage to get the Dremel out...

Back