• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lambda Sensor Failure?

Bike runs fine in, I think, Open Loop (off the ECU maps without Lambda sensor input). Seems smoother. Haven't done a fuel economy run but easy enough to put back to standard.

Point being, you could disable Lambda :)

Don't forget Ray1150 point above :)

Were the symptoms (resolved by the RPM sensor) randomly intermittent? That is to say no connection to weather, distance traveled, low or high RPM etc?

Cheers
Walter

Yes went from petering out to running just fine on the way to Haywards to get the diagnosis.
No logic or common link to the behaviour of the bike, first time it happened was in heavy rain so I immediately connected the two but after that it just kept happening when/where ever.

Thank you very much for the info. I recently changed my O2 sensors, and my 2012 Norge ran perfectly for about 350 Kms.
On a dry day, and for no apparent reason, it sputtered and mis-fired for about 200 meters, then ran fine. I have since put on about another 300 kms with no further issues. Your advice has me suspecting an intermittent RPM sensor, I will look into it further.

Cheers
Walter

could the fault be with one of the injectors? my mates stelvio had similar symptoms, was cured by replacing one of the injectors.

Hell all, what was the outcome of this problem as I'm having the exact same thing.
Ive tried new plugs. HT leads, NGK ends, fuel injectors. Ive tried 3 different maps, one with the Lambda disabled, all run the same.
Ive had the bike completely apart, checked and cleaned every plug, fuse and relay.....still the same, un-ridable!!
I'm just about at my wits end......

If you think it's spark, just check it. Hook up a timing light & pull the trigger when it acts up. Wiggle the phase sensor wire and see if it cuts out or gets better. It's right in front of L/H cyl w/heavy black wire, kinda next to the oil sender. Use a map w/O-2 off.

I have tried a map that doesn't use the Lambda, still the same.
I have ran the bike with another spark plug attached to the ht lead, sparks well.
I was thinking of the phase sensor, but wouldn't that make it run bad at all rpm? above 5k rpm it runs perfect.
I have tried wiggling everything while its running but nothing I do makes any difference at all :-/

You can check the phase sensor. Disconnect it from the harness. The sensor should read 680 ohms +/- 10% at 20 degrees C. Usually the phase sensor is good, or it is not. If not you shouldn't run at all. Spark at atmospheric pressure can be mis-leading. As pressure increases, higher voltage is required to make the spark jump. Were the injectors you tried new or used?

Ok cool, yeah I was looking for the values of all the sensors so I could go through and check them all.
The injectors are brand new.
When I disconnect the left hand injector plug, it makes barely any difference in the running, disconnecting the right cuts the engine at idle.
Do you know of anywhere that has a list of all the ohms values for the sensors and coils?

Ok cool, yeah I was looking for the values of all the sensors so I could go through and check them all.
The injectors are brand new.
When I disconnect the left hand injector plug, it makes barely any difference in the running, disconnecting the right cuts the engine at idle.
Do you know of anywhere that has a list of all the ohms values for the sensors and coils?

The workshop manual has many of the values, as does the manual for the P8 ECU system. The sensors have remained pretty much the same since Guzzi started with FI. You can find these manuals in the downloads section.

Now your added bit of information is interesting. Bike running doesn't noticeable change when the left injector plug is disconnected. This makes me think there is an issue with the left side control. Since the only not common control for the injectors is the ECU signaling the left injector to fire I'd look real close at an ECU issue. Have you carefully inspector the connectors to the ECU? I'd also try to source a loaner ECU just to eliminate or confirm that component. Then again it could be an issue with the LH coil. Have you removed the injectors and performed a spray pattern test?

I am collecting all the values I can find and will start testing sensors, coils etc on Monday.
Yes I have tested the injectors, both spray the same.
I have someone that has an ecu which I'm hoping to get hold of tomorrow, at least that will eliminate that if nothing else.
I did find come corrosion on 3 of the ecu pins when I took the plugs off, which I was sure was the problem, but after cleaning, most annoyingly, it didn't make a difference.
Failing everything else, I have a spare set of head gaskets, so might whip the LH head off and have a look in there, something else to cross of the 'checked' list.

Yeah that son my list of things to do......gonna be a busy Monday :).
Its no great deal to take the head off though, I got spare gaskets, its only 10 minute job as the bike is so stripped down anyway.

Yeah that son my list of things to do......gonna be a busy Monday :).
Its no great deal to take the head off though, I got spare gaskets, its only 10 minute job as the bike is so stripped down anyway.

The compression and leak down testing will tell you more than a visual inspection. Do you have a rotational torque gauge to put the heads back on if you remove them?

Ok cool, will do those if all else fails, will leave the heads on.
Aint got me one of them there gauges, got a torque wrench.

Back