Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Le Mans IV 1985 is the 16' front wheel really an issue?

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by thierry roullier, Jan 28, 2019.

1. thierry roullier

thierry roullier Just got it firing!

I have read a lot about this and so far at highway speed in one short ride my new to me Le Mans bike has not shown any instability.

Is this front wheel size really an issue? I read an article stating that if one increases tire pressure and increases torque on column bearing it is not a problem. I can do the tire pressure increase and I am not a racer so should I even worry?

Sorry if this issue has been beaten to death already.

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

More a perceived problem than an actual one in my opinion. Many were changed over to an 18 inch front wheel, but when you do that the fork tubes need to be raised like you see on the MK V LeMans. The only real problem I see with the 16 inch front wheel is tire availability, but it is also becoming a problem with the 18 inch size tires.

thierry roullier likes this.
  3. Amboman

Amboman Cruisin' Guzzisti

Back when the Le Mans 1000 came out, one of the major US magazines did a test and found no issues. On a sidebar of that test were recommendations by Dr. John Wittner. Basically they were: raise the fork tubes 22 mm, run maximum pressure in the dampers (the pressure firmed up the damping, not springing) and run tire pressures on the higher side. I was running a Metzeler ME33 Lazer (Sport compound) front and an ME88 rear at 40 front and 42 rear (this from memory of 33 years ago). I do remember that as the front tire wore, handling deteriorated, so I was replacing the front quite regularly.

Great bike, one that I wish I'd never sold. Fortunately, a few of my customers have them, so I get to relive my 20s on occasion. ;)

john zibell and thierry roullier like this.
  4. thierry roullier

Thank you Gentlemen. Due to weather conditions in Chicago I will not be riding today but appreciate your help. Riding too long in the midwest will make tire go square.Hopefully I can apply some of the knowledge from my BMW r90/6 to take care of this new baby.

5. Chris R

Chris R Cruisin' Guzzisti

To reinforce what John and Charlie said, I had use of one for a few months and found it to be the sweetest handling Tonti I had ever ridden. It is not that a big deal to convert it to 18" - or for that matter to fit a modern Japanese front end.

I think the issue is finding the right tire combination - and I have no recommendations to give you there having never owned one.

Hopefully someone will chime in with some info...

john zibell likes this.
  6. thierry roullier

Thank you for all of these perspectives.As a result, I am new to Guzzi's and I will try the 16' wheel this season with an open mind. I am more of a purist so I will not change the front end. I was asking because I am not a big fan of unstable bikes. It the bike becomes unstable at 150 km/h + it is less of an issue than if it is at lower speeds because I will not ride that fast. Will report back as the weather becomes more clement!

7. kglm

kglm Just got it firing!

My own opinion -owned LMIV 16" since -90 ; Metzeler laser is best handling front tire , I use 2.7bar pressure. Install good quality steering damper and lower forks a bit (10-15mm) then it`s great bike to ride.

-KG-

john zibell likes this.